Free standing punch bags

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You do not need to leave them down... we do not. If the lesson plan calls for them, we put them down before class and pull them up afterwards. It really doesn't take long.

The primary difference is that there's no "if". I'd need them every time, and they'll take more effort than working with Velcro. I imagine they'd take more time, too, and I usually only have about 20 minutes to get the entire space set up - usually by myself. If I can get near a set somewhere, I'll experiment and see how quickly I can set up/tear down. Maybe they're easier than I think.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I see various BOBs posted on CraigsList (if you're in the US - not sure if they exist elsewhere) on a regular basis for around $250. I just missed out on one that was sold for $75 because I wasn't in town when he posted it.

Yeah, a lot of people buy a heavy bag to work out with and then, I dunno, I guess they realize working out is hard and they sell it on Craigslist. I've gotten a few that way.

Oh, and for whatever it's worth, I do see puzzle mats and wrestling mats for sale on there from time to time.

crazydiamond

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I have a Wavemaster XXL, was a good buy two years ago (good sale). I like it for my low height basement area.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I like doing things dynamically. At least the Bobs I have seen wouldn't work for say striking in the upper body while allowing for kicks between the calf and thigh in "sequence", for lack of of a better term.

getDynamicImage.aspx

Why not?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The primary difference is that there's no "if". I'd need them every time, and they'll take more effort than working with Velcro. I imagine they'd take more time, too, and I usually only have about 20 minutes to get the entire space set up - usually by myself. If I can get near a set somewhere, I'll experiment and see how quickly I can set up/tear down. Maybe they're easier than I think.

I think you'll find they're easier than you think. I can set up our space in 20-25 minutes by myself if we're using the mats. That includes dragging out the heavy bags, kicking shields, punching mitts, etc. Probably 15 minutes to lay out the mats, but I'm not trying for speed.
Easy answer: students show up, and I say "Grab the mats!" :)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you'll find they're easier than you think. I can set up our space in 20-25 minutes by myself if we're using the mats. That includes dragging out the heavy bags, kicking shields, punching mitts, etc. Probably 15 minutes to lay out the mats, but I'm not trying for speed.
Easy answer: students show up, and I say "Grab the mats!" :)
I definitely need to get on some of those mats, then, and see how they feel for some of our harder throws.

Thanks for the input!

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
Never saw that Bob before. Thanks!!! Only two questions.
1. Any anchor options beyond using weight?
2. How well do you think that would hold up to ratan (I also want to use it for Kali stuff.)

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
2. How well do you think that would hold up to ratan (I also want to use it for Kali stuff.)

http://www.centurymartialarts.com/mobi/training-bags/century-versys-vsbob

The description says something about sand. Not sure if you lay sandbags on the base or what.

$500 from Century. Haven't looked up other prices.

I'd imagine the torso is a standard BOB torso. I had mine when I was in college. Everyone was allowed to hit it, but I had 1 rule - no weapons; fight like a man, or don't fight at all :)

I don't think it would hold up very well to sticks for too long, but I never tried. I wouldn't be surprised if someone said they've been hitting their's for a long time without problems. I definitely would only hit the body, not the head if I were to use weapons.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

1 - Century says weights. I'd say sandbags are your best bet, but if you really don't want it moving, put some lag bolts into the floor and strap him to them.
2 - No idea. It's certainly not something he's intended for... How well do other conventional heavy bags hold up to stick strikes? I'd guess that's how well he will hold up...
I'd be inclined to use a pell for stick work, rather than a bag.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
1 - Century says weights. I'd say sandbags are your best bet, but if you really don't want it moving, put some lag bolts into the floor and strap him to them.
2 - No idea. It's certainly not something he's intended for... How well do other conventional heavy bags hold up to stick strikes? I'd guess that's how well he will hold up...

Yeah sand bags were what I had in mind as well. As for the later, the good canvas ones by Everlast hold up well in my experience but that is the extent of my experience with bags+sticks.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As for bags and sticks, any good bag should hold up okay if you don't overdo it, but the hardware may be an issue. I was working high strikes on one and noticed little bits of something flying away from it. It was pieces of the zipper. :eek:

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
As for bags and sticks, any good bag should hold up okay if you don't overdo it, but the hardware may be an issue. I was working high strikes on one and noticed little bits of something flying away from it. It was pieces of the zipper. :eek:

Yeah, in looking at the VS.Bob I guess I need to ask this question though. If I am looking for a "simulator" then it's Bob. However from all the videos I have seen they aren't something you want to get if I am also thinking about working on power generation/harder overall work out. Decisions, decisions.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is my Free standing punching bag I bought from a pawnbrokers for under 200 bucks:

They are good if you don't have anywhere to hang up a bag but they have some disadvantages (at least this particular one does). They are difficult to move around as you would have to drain and replace the water in the base and the padding on this one is so soft that I cannot hit it with full power without doing myself an injury and the presence of the wide base makes it difficult and awkward for short range strikes, but overall it is not a bad punching bag.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, in looking at the VS.Bob I guess I need to ask this question though. If I am looking for a "simulator" then it's Bob. However from all the videos I have seen they aren't something you want to get if I am also thinking about working on power generation/harder overall work out. Decisions, decisions.
If I was working on power generation with sticks, I'd use a heavy bag - one of the canvas ones. I'd probably make a second cover to go on it that's easy to replace and then beat the crap out of it. Later, I'd get the BOB for work on targeting. I'd think BOB would hold up okay to moderate work with sticks, but I've never tried it.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is my Free standing punching bag I bought from a pawnbrokers for under 200 bucks:

They are good if you don't have anywhere to hang up a bag but they have some disadvantages (at least this particular one does). They are difficult to move around as you would have to drain and replace the water in the base and the padding on this one is so soft that I cannot hit it with full power without doing myself an injury and the presence of the wide base makes it difficult and awkward for short range strikes, but overall it is not a bad punching bag.
When we moved the ones at my instructor's dojo, we just took the top off (whether it's a BOB or a bag), tip the base over, and roll it.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
If I was working on power generation with sticks, I'd use a heavy bag - one of the canvas ones. I'd probably make a second cover to go on it that's easy to replace and then beat the crap out of it. Later, I'd get the BOB for work on targeting. I'd think BOB would hold up okay to moderate work with sticks, but I've never tried it.

Well looking for power generation empty hand too. Unless we are sparring my Guro/Sifu is crazy about technique and precision. I would say 80%

So yeah I think Bob will be the later purchase. I will probably bodge together a pell though for the sticks. PVC pipe is our friend lol.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well looking for power generation empty hand too. Unless we are sparring my Guro/Sifu is crazy about technique and precision. I would say 80%

So yeah I think Bob will be the later purchase. I will probably bodge together a pell though for the sticks. PVC pipe is our friend lol.
I'm not familiar with a "pell", and Google is no help. Can you point me to a pic of one?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From the description there, the pell is esssentially the same thing as either a heavy bag or something like a Wavemaster (not really a bag, but we call it such) - just designed to handle the types of impact it will receive. I'd think a heavy bag with a carpet wrap would be a good pell, with the bonus that you could remove the carpet for empty-hand work.

Latest Discussions