Better understanding the Twin Forearm/Square Block

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
I am trying to better understand the application of this block. My school teaches it as a block that guards two sections ( the head and body) . What types of strikes would this block be effective for? I am trying to run scenarios where this block can apply, but I can't think of any good ones.

upload_2016-8-19_0-24-17.jpeg

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
If you put two sticks in his hands I use that position all the time.... For an unarmed art not so much.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am trying to better understand the application of this block. My school teaches it as a block that guards two sections ( the head and body) . What types of strikes would this block be effective for? I am trying to run scenarios where this block can apply, but I can't think of any good ones.

View attachment 20066
OK, here is one... You are standing naturally, and I attempt a left leg Billy Jack to the head, but there is something you can do about it. You step in deep face me chest to chest, block high, to deflect the weakened kick from the head, left hand checks my right hand.

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
What kind of attack would aim to hit the body on one side and the head on the other(, a corking double leg scissor kick)? Can't fathom. It would make sense if one is a strike or a frame.
DSC_0354.JPG

Last edited:

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It just emphasises how hard defining a use for this technique is.
The drawing will work for a better tech idea. Ok, pop him in the groin, or leg, it doesn't matter, and as he bends forward, you bowl an upward elbow under his chin. He flies back, the legs come up, and you block your way in between his legs, like in your drawing, and then hammer down on the groin while he is still airborne. Oh yeeeeeeaaah! :cigar:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I will have a guess just for the fun value. Whenever you strike your other hand shouldn't just be waving around in the wind. One hand strikes one hand blocks.

images

Now all well and good but they are strikes right?

But you are dealing with a system that treats its blocks as strikes. They are just targeting the incoming limb.

So if you are going to strike. (Even blocking) same rules should apply and your inactive arm should be covering something.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind that movements in forms are stylized.
That movement teaches many things. Consider...
You are performing a high block and an outside middle block at the same time, so it's being used to teach simultaneous movements, as opposed to individual movements.
The classic example is using this to block simultaneous attacks from different directions.
Beyond that, application becomes a matter of detail and circumstance.
Consider a high kick. In the picture you posted, the right arm could be deflecting the kick upwards, while the left is delivering a hammerfist to the groin.
Similarly, this can be used to counter a high punch and set up a take down:
Shift the body position somewhat so you're perhaps a bit more squared off to your opponent, both left foot forward.
Your opponent throws a left hand to your head.
Your right arm moves up (as in the picture) but let's do it with an open hand so as it rises we can grab the wrist.
At the same time, your left arm moves out and under your opponents arm. You may be stepping in, too, depending on the exact body positions. You can hammerfist the ribs on the way in, if you like.
But consider the body positions now. By virtue of a bit of footwork and twisting the body, you can throw your opponent.
Forms show principles. Applications are endless...

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The application of this is that it teaches the principle of moving two arms in differing directions, just as scissor block and wedging block do. What you choose to do with that ability is a matter of your choice.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
One simple application is pulling with the upper arm (block) while striking with the other. There are countless usages and variations that stem off this first idea once you start training it.

I agree the block as performed in kata/hyung seems inaccessible if one doesn't have further context.

OP
A

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
Keep in mind that movements in forms are stylized.
That movement teaches many things. Consider...
You are performing a high block and an outside middle block at the same time, so it's being used to teach simultaneous movements, as opposed to individual movements.
The classic example is using this to block simultaneous attacks from different directions.
Beyond that, application becomes a matter of detail and circumstance.
Consider a high kick. In the picture you posted, the right arm could be deflecting the kick upwards, while the left is delivering a hammerfist to the groin.
Similarly, this can be used to counter a high punch and set up a take down:
Shift the body position somewhat so you're perhaps a bit more squared off to your opponent, both left foot forward.
Your opponent throws a left hand to your head.
Your right arm moves up (as in the picture) but let's do it with an open hand so as it rises we can grab the wrist.
At the same time, your left arm moves out and under your opponents arm. You may be stepping in, too, depending on the exact body positions. You can hammerfist the ribs on the way in, if you like.
But consider the body positions now. By virtue of a bit of footwork and twisting the body, you can throw your opponent.
Forms show principles. Applications are endless...

This makes much more sense. I was trying to picture blocking like the tul application and the scenario looked more like the drawing of the guy doing the flying scissor kick. I asked my instructor the purpose of technique and he said blocking two strikes from different angles. Which made sense to me if there were two opponents.One opponent didn't seem likely, unless they could throw a head level kick and a middle section hand strike simultaneously.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This makes much more sense. I was trying to picture blocking like the tul application and the scenario looked more like the drawing of the guy doing the flying scissor kick. I asked my instructor the purpose of technique and he said blocking two strikes from different angles. Which made sense to me if there were two opponents.One opponent didn't seem likely, unless they could throw a head level kick and a middle section hand strike simultaneously.

I think the single most important thing to learn from this portion of your forms is the concept of simultaneous, as opposed to sequential movement.
Forms teach specific techniques, but I think the principles behind the techniques are more important. Most people will start out learning the specific techniques, and many will be forever unaware of the underlying principles. But I think to really understand your art, and to most effectively apply it, you need to understand these principles.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, here is one... You are standing naturally, and I attempt a left leg Billy Jack to the head, but there is something you can do about it. You step in deep face me chest to chest, block high, to deflect the weakened kick from the head, left hand checks my right hand.
Or, same movement, and the left hand goes to your chest to take you off-balance as he steps in.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If they can actually do that, I'm not sure that block is going to help much. :eek:

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

If they can actually do that, I'm not sure that block is going to help much. :eek:

Lots of people can do it. Note that I don't say they can do it effectively...
The punch is not going to have anything on it, and frankly I'd completely ignore it. But it can be done, and it can even look good when it's done vs air.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lots of people can do it. Note that I don't say they can do it effectively...
The punch is not going to have anything on it, and frankly I'd completely ignore it. But it can be done, and it can even look good when it's done vs air.
Yes, I was referring to a pair of useful strikes. Anyone who can actually manage both at once - with useful force - you probably need a second person to help block their tentacles.

Latest Discussions