Frayed Belt or not Frayed Belt?

tkd_jen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Bignick,

I noticed at testing Wednesday one of the poom belts was testing. Anyway he was assisting with the kids testing and wore his "nice" belt, but when he tested with us he changed and put on his "other" belt. I know pooms are a bit different, but maybe this is where I got this from?

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I like the frayed look that comes with lots of training and tying and untying of the belt.
We don't do anything, other then training, to cause it to fall apart.

green meanie

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'll wear mine so long as it's functional. If it gets too frayed to be that I'll get another one. I think doing things to your belt to make it look older and worn out is a ridiculous waste of time.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My II Dan belt got kind of old and started to turn white - between grad school and other life events it took me 7 years (instead of 3) to test to III Dan. The thing is, only the knot started to turn, so I could track my weight by where the knot was, and where the belt frayed around it.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think it really depends upon individual preference. Unless ego is involved in trying to prematurely age an old belt, than I couldn't care less. Some see their belts as old friends and wish to use the same ones as long as they can. Others like to wear sharp looking new belts all the time. I don't have any strong views one way or another.

Latest Discussions