Belts that look old but are not

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Things like ringworm are often passed around in wrestling/grappling classes. It's a common hazard.

Floating Egg

Blue Belt
Reaction score
http://www.amateurwrestler.com/health/ring_worm.html
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Ring Worm: A skin disease producing round scaly patches on the skin, caused by a fungus.[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Communicable diseases, skin diseases, in particular, are a threat to wrestlers because of constant skin-to-skin contact and repeated minor abrasions. Skin diseases can sweep through a team unless the wrestlers are monitored and treated effectively. Preventative measures are of primary importance and require the cooperation of each wrestler, and very close observation of each coach. Skin diseases can not only hinder a wrestler but also cause him to be disqualified from competition.
[/font]

PHIL_2936_lores.jpg

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
EEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:barf:

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ugh--never seen a case that bad before.

I'm switching to fencing! No skin-to-skin contact there.

ewhip

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
this is all the rage in the guitar world - "relic" guitars are brand new guitars that are beat up and aged at the factory to look like they were made in 1959 and played to death for the past 40 years or so. People get all fired up about them both pro and con, but they sell like crazy, often going for thousands more than a brand new guitar exactly like it. I just wondered how long it would be before we saw "relic" belts and uniforms! :)

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Very true, Ewhip. I've refinished furniture and gun stocks before and had folks complain to me that they looked too new. They all want dents and such in their china hutches now to make them look antique.

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have a black belt that is made by a company named "Bear Brand". It was given to me by my KwangJangNeem!

When it was new, it was very stiff, and I tied it TIGHTLY, to keep it from coming loose. That made some wear where the knot is. Pronounced wear. But it is much softer now, and the threads are coming out a little in places.

I will never wash this belt, and it never stinks, it is quite clean. When I get home from the practice, I hang it up so that it will dry.

My only fault is that I tied it too tightly when it was new, but I did not know better. I will not part with this black belt. It is very special to me.

Mantismaster

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
My fellow martial artist, who cares what a belt looks like, the only thing a belt is good for, is for taking it off and beating someone with it. The Karate world need to let go of the belt phenomemum and start concentrating on how they produce great quality students and instructors. A belt can not fight for you no matter how old or young it might look. In Kung Fu we concentrate on knowledge, cause a belt can be taken away, but knowledge stays with the student.

Peace
Mantismaster

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There are folks who age their belts & folks who's belt looks that way by natural means. I have a belt that's less that 2 years old that I wear 4 days a week & it's fraying in spots. I have another belt that 20 years old that I've worn alot & it looks barely worn.

Purposefully doing this is silly. If you want to ensure that look, buy a satin belt. They tend to wear faster.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There are folks who age their belts & folks who's belt looks that way by natural means. I have a belt that's less that 2 years old that I wear 4 days a week & it's fraying in spots. I have another belt that 20 years old that I've worn alot & it looks barely worn.

Purposefully doing this is silly. If you want to ensure that look, buy a satin belt. They tend to wear faster.
OR...let go of the ego and put in your time 'til the belt wears out.

I agree that doing anything to make the belt look older than it is is silly. I've never been impressed with worn out belts. Wanna impress me then teach me something.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just to chime in I have a belt that I have worn every tournament and every class (where I needed to) and it is looking old after 7 + years. I also have one that is 8 years old that is embrodiered that I have worn once.
There is also a rank belt in my closet that I have worn only a few times in 20 years.
Ageing a belt to make it look like you have studied a long time has been going on sence I got into the arts. I see mostly new young Black belts do it but I quess it is done by many people

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
Some humble advice from the Chinese Martial Arts....... just let your skills speak for you.

We don't wear belts. Often times the most humble looking individual is the one who can throw you into last week.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm confused...it seems that MA f all hobbies is the one that you do not want to put on airs about skill that you don't have. Good way to get hurt

Latest Discussions