Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Note to self - buy new pants. :D

I think its so they look 'experienced'. Problem is, its almost always some 18yr old with something to prove. I've known 1 BB who wears a worn belt...he earned it. I learned more in 5 minutes from him, than 6 months of classes with another instructor.

The costume doesn't matter. The truth shines through from the actions.

:asian:

OP
T

TLH3rdDan

yeah kirk i know what your talking about ive seen those little punk kids running around at tournaments with frayed and faded belts that they have only had for about a month.... it makes me sick to see that crap... not only have they not had their belt long enought for that to have happened naturally... i think its a disgrace, a dishonor to destroy the belt in that way... if it happens over time that different but if you take sand paper to a belt to make it look old then thats just wrong and that person does not deserve that rank because they have no respect for it

OP
D

Danny

Agreed. Your a Black Blet, look like one. If your belt is wrecked get a new one. Black Belts don't fade unless you abuse them. Even after 5 years it should only be slightly faded Black if treated with respect.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The belt I wear now is only about 12 years old. It's starting to get a few frayed spts right where its tied but it's not a discrase to be seen in public with yet.
If it gets to bad I'll get another one (maybe in another few years).

I agree with Kaith it's the pants you have to worry about. One day they are old but in good shape, the next day when you put them on there is no seat in them. Guess I should look them over better as I put them on. That cool air feeling is a give away also.
Shadow

OP
S

Shinzu

i think its more of a fashion statement if you ask me. and in my opinion the martial arts is not about fashion, its about self defense.

if a person has trained so much that their belt is worn that is one thing, but to abuse it is totally a dissrespect to yourself and your art.

i was always taught never to put your belt on the ground or to wash it. it possesses all your hard work and sweat. not only does it symbolize your rank, but it also symbolzes part of you and your training.

these people who abuse their rank belts have no business being a martial artist. perhaps they need be white belts again and learn things the right way this time.

OP
M

Monkey King

We aren't allowed to let our belts fray. our uniforms are representative of our bearing. Uniform must always be clean, Pressed for testing, and belts must be in good condition. Sloppy uniforms lose points on testing.

It may seem trivial...but man we look good.:D

OP
K

Kirk

Originally posted by Monkey King

We aren't allowed to let our belts fray. our uniforms are representative of our bearing. Uniform must always be clean, Pressed for testing, and belts must be in good condition. Sloppy uniforms lose points on testing.

It may seem trivial...but man we look good.

That sounds really cool

Turner

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I agree, thats cool. I personally dislike seeing people practice in tattered or crumpled up Gi's. There is no excuse for it.

The belt frays are different. In all the schools I've been to, the belt was a part of who you were as a martial artist and it should be worn (never washed, never touch the ground, never worn when not training... if you are outside the class in uniform it should be taken off and draped around your neck) until it couldn't be worn any longer. So that is up to the individual. I prefer the newer look because it is more professional looking and if the belt is a representation of you as a martial artist, you should do your best to keep it looking fresh and new because that is how you should look at the martial arts every time you enter class.. with new eyes.

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well I'll be the one dissenting voice here. My belt is getting frayed, a little and looks a little worn but I'm not about to stop wearing it. That belt was given to me by my TKD instructor and maybe some day I'll retire it to the shelf, or maybe not. I don't think they look tacky at all, at least on some one that looks old enough to have earned it.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Shinzu

i was always taught never to put your belt on the ground or to wash it. it possesses all your hard work and sweat. not only does it symbolize your rank, but it also symbolzes part of you and your training.

I've read quite a few accounts that state this is probably a Western creation. In Japan, if you don't wash your belt and it starts to stink, they make you wash it. :)

Cthulhu

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
If ANYBODY's belt start to stink, they should wash it. But, I guess nowadays they could just spray febreeze on it. :)

I'm on the middle on this one, I wish my belt was old enough to start fraying, but I'm afraid my instructor bought me a really good one.... Dang it.

I also wish I could stop my belt from touching the ground, but I'm afraid that I'm just not good enough to never be thrown. :shrug: Obviously that particular custom wasn't started by a judo guy.

You don't see high ranking generals wearing tarnished stars, they are only a symbol of experience (hopefully), I think the same should hold true for the black belt. When it is about to give up the ghost, let it rest on the shelf.

Lamont

OP
S

Shinzu

i have never had any trouble with my belt stinking..LOL

my point was you should have as much respect for it as you do your art.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Shinzu

i have never had any trouble with my belt stinking..LOL

my point was you should have as much respect for it as you do your art.

I respect my belt because my instructor got it for me...not for its color or the embroidery my instructor had put on it. Belts are utilitarian...they are used to keep my gi closed and to provide back support. This is just my personal opinion. I've even used my belt to help unscrew a stubborn water softener filter.

When I'm in class, I make sure my belt is tied on correctly and that my knot always stays tight. After class, it sits in my bag with the rest of my gear, where it belongs.

Cthulhu

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I will take my belt off throw it in a corner, walk on it, and much worse. I rip it off when sparring and choke people out with it . I use it to tie up hands,and feet.
If it comes lose in class i drop it on the floor till i get a chance to retrive it.
It's only a belt. Yes it represents something (one hell of a lot of training) but it's still a belt.If a student takes time to retie his belt befor I tell him to he is missing training time. If he turns his back on me or his training partner to tie it he Will be attacked. (WE do not turn our backs on our opponet (partner) at any time.Do I shock people with these attitutes? Sure.
We all hold certian things to have meaning , my belt is a symbol of the rank my instructor thinks I should have. It is not something sacred, I use it as i would a length of rope, or my everyday belt.
My knowledge is not in my belt it s in my mind and body
Shadow

Deaf

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hmm..this has been around a long time (frayed belts)..when I was younger (man I wished I was there again) I trained with many black belts who had frayed belts and thought..those are cool..a badge of honor, of hard training and a symbol of wisdom.

Well, later on in the years as a black belt, I learned a belt is just a belt. Frayed or not. It means nothing to the outside world and even in some parts of the MA world.

Currently my BB is frayed and will I replace it. Not likely. I currently hold 3 other BB in different styles however I will only wear my first BB that I earned. I do not put my dan ranks on my belt. It is just a plain frayed black belt. But on a personal level, it means many things to me.

Why do I do this? On a personal level, my first BB means a lot of things to me. It is a reminder to me of where I started, how I overcame and what I accomplished. That is what a BB should stand for. It is a personal reminder of who we are and what we have accomplished.

Why people are fraying their belts purposely? Maybe it is because they think it is cool? Maybe the BB doesn't have any personal meaning or significance to them? Or maybe the BB is of poor workmanship :)?

I say don't let such trivial matters bother you. Just train!

OP
D

disciple

Originally posted by tshadowchaser

It's only a belt. Yes it represents something (one hell of a lot of training) but it's still a belt.If a student takes time to retie his belt befor I tell him to he is missing training time. If he turns his back on me or his training partner to tie it he Will be attacked. (WE do not turn our backs on our opponet (partner) at any time.Do I shock people with these attitutes? Sure.
We all hold certian things to have meaning , my belt is a symbol of the rank my instructor thinks I should have. It is not something sacred, I use it as i would a length of rope, or my everyday belt.
My knowledge is not in my belt it s in my mind and body
Shadow

I think this all comes to tradition. Every shool has its own tradition about doing things. Much like bowing in Japanese system, you have to bow low and never look up. Some would say this means the person's head could be chopped off. While others would say, if you look up means you don't trust whoever it is you are bowing to. And in Chinese system, your eyes are never to leave whoever you are bowing to, and if you look down means you are also looking down to the person you are bowing to and to his/her art. I hope that makes some sense.
Some school don't even wear belt at all.

salute

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Folks,don't read what I have said completly wrong.
What I went through and what others go through to make the level of Black Belt
means a great deal to me. In fact I represented my first belt to another student of my instructor. At the time I was not sure if I would ever teach (apart from at my instructors school) and I wanted the belt to be passed to someone that I had helped train.
As fate would have it I ended up staying in the system and the student ended up quiting (while I was traveling, and learning) OH Well, the thought was a good one.
Shadow

deadhand31

Brown Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
The 7th layer of Hell. Wisconsin, to the rest of y
Different systems have different procedures. In my system, Ji do Kwon TKD, we follow the korean tradition. The belt is never to be washed. I sometimes wish this wasn't the case, because every class my uniform gains 5 pounds of water-weight, as well as my belt. If i forget to air it out, it really reeks the next day.

As for the black belts, we keep the same belt all the way to 3rd dan. After that, they give us a new belt for 4th dan. I'm not sure how it proceeds past that, as our chain has only 1 4th dan that i know of, and one 5th, 6th, and 9th dan.

Latest Discussions