Frayed Belt or not Frayed Belt?

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For some instructors, they wear their belts until they fall apart. For others,they want it always looking new. And some make it look older than it really is but beating it with a rock or something. What's your preference?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
IcemanSK said:
For some instructors, they wear their belts until they fall apart. For others,they want it always looking new. And some make it look older than it really is but beating it with a rock or something. What's your preference?

Let the belt fall apart, it just the way it should be.
terry

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Let it fall apart. My thought is that if some want to make it look older by beating it with rocks, that means they should probably spend more time doing kata or kihon.

Jeff

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
New, A raggidy old belt looks bad, same as any other piece of clothing that is falling apart.

MSUTKD

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I have had two black belts. One turned grey after 10 years so I got a new one; 13 years later it is getting worn out. I guess I like it, but I never beat it with a rock. :)

ron

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
IcemanSK said:

Actually, scraping it with a razor blade really gives you a nice frayed look. My friend's karate instructor when he was a child use to do it.

Lame.

Eternal Beginner

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Only one of the 6 BB's that I train with has a raggedy belt. The rest all replace theirs as they age, just like their gi's.

Personally, I like a worn-in belt, but not raggedy...but then again I'm no black belt. :idunno:

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, In some schools this is a tradition to let the belt wearout? Sign you have being training for a long time.m (old days did not have stripes on them BB's)

In our school everytime you test, you are given a new Black belt.(Has chinese chacters and additional stripes sew in.) 4th degrees and up get a red edges on the BB's.

For those who frayed their belts to make it old(washing,rubbing with rocks,etc)....is trying to increase his EGO? To show off! Not a good sign of a true martial artist? ...Just my opinion here!

Be true to yourself! ......Humble and kindness.....is better....Aloha

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
still learning said:
Hello, In some schools this is a tradition to let the belt wearout? Sign you have being training for a long time.m (old days did not have stripes on them BB's)

In our school everytime you test, you are given a new Black belt.(Has chinese chacters and additional stripes sew in.) 4th degrees and up get a red edges on the BB's.

For those who frayed their belts to make it old(washing,rubbing with rocks,etc)....is trying to increase his EGO? To show off! Not a good sign of a true martial artist? ...Just my opinion here!

Be true to yourself! ......Humble and kindness.....is better....Aloha

Some folks do use rocks, razors & other stupid ways of fraying their belts. Yeah, its probably for ego. But it can fray with regular wear, too. Albeit A LOT of wear.:) The whole fraying of the belt does imply that one doesn't have stripes added to it that would change with testing. I've had belts turn grey-ish (quickly) but never had one fray. I've also had belts for along time that are as black as the day I got it.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Black is only a color? IF it is frayed or brand new? Does this make the wearier of the belt better? Belts are material things.

For those who are impress by the belts? ...you are looking at the wrong thing? ....It is the person who should impress you.... no matter what they are wearing?

Growing up and being mature....these things are learn and earn! ...Aloha

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
still learning said:
Hello, Black is only a color? IF it is frayed or brand new? Does this make the wearier of the belt better? Belts are material things.

For those who are impress by the belts? ...you are looking at the wrong thing? ....It is the person who should impress you.... no matter what they are wearing?

Growing up and being mature....these things are learn and earn! ...Aloha

I agree completely. If it's done intentionally, its self-serving. I had a buddy that started a school within 2 years of getting his 1st Dan. The belt he wore looked like it was 20 years old!

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
my belt is only beginning to fray. i'm up for promotion in about a year and will receive a shiny new one at that time. i figure i'll wear my fraying belt to train and the nice one to dressier functions (belt tests and the like).

not saying what folk should do. just saying what i choose.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
If your belt is frayed due to legitimate work-- That's awesome! I feel you should wear the frayed belt for workouts, until it's toast, and a nicer one for other stuff. On the whole, when I was younger, I remember seeing frayed Belts a lot. I don't really see as many anymore. They used to be an intimidating factor, from what I remeber, or, at least, a conversation topic.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My 1st Degree BB was getting that frayed look to it. Personally, I liked the 'new' look it was taking. For my next 2 degrees, I received new belts. I was always tempted though, to just stitch on the stripes on my original.

Mike

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I can understand why some people would want to wear their old, fraying belts, since those belts may very well have been with them throughout all of these years. Also, sometimes an instructor may give one of his students one of his old belts, in which case it's an honor. I won't express my approval or disapproval, as long as the situations are from the above scenarios.

Where I do disapprove of a frayed belt is when people deliberately try to accelerate the wear and tear on them. Razor blades, emery boards, sandpaper, multiple washings in hot water using high speed, etc. Really, that's not necessary, and if your students already know who you are, they might even get a chuckle out of you for doing that.

I prefer an intact belt that isn't board-stiff anymore. I really don't care if it has lost a little or a lot of its black dye, as long as it's still in one piece. The students know who I am, and show the same level of respect regardless of which belt I would use, whether it's my older Shureido satin belt that has some worn edges (still in great condition, though), or my Tokaido belt that has faded a bit, but shows no worn edges, or my Kamikaze belt that isn't faded or worn at all (except finally being broken in).

Of course, I'll have to tack on the obligatory "When it comes down to it, it's the person wearing the belt, and not the belt itself, that matters." :)

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've had my 2nd dan belt a year and a half. If I only had three classes,maybe it wouldn't be starting to fray. But with teaching other classes, it is wearing. Its probably my last belt since I won't be testing for 3rd, but I would rather it look the way it should, worn around the edges but not so that it can't be used as a belt. TW

tkd_jen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
bushidomartialarts said:
. i figure i'll wear my fraying belt to train and the nice one to dressier functions (belt tests and the like).

not saying what folk should do. just saying what i choose.

bushidomartialarts,

I think that is what our school does for the most part. It seems you get 2 BB when you are promoted, a "dress belt" that has your name and other stuff embroidered, and a "workout belt" that you use for everyday training. Bignick could correct me on this if I am wrong...

I think it is cool to look at the difference between some of our highest ranking instructors belts. Some are VERY worn. I think it's cool because I know some have been training for a very long time and their belts have earned their wear.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jen,

Your instructor buys your black belt for you when you are promoted. It's kinda become tradition to get a nice quality one with embroidery, etc. Sometimes, they aren't done in time and they just get a plain black belt until it's done. If you want just a plain black belt, no nobody is stopping you from just going out and buying one. I've just been using my "nice" one for last year and a half because I'm too lazy to go buy a plain one...

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Also, in our organization, you recieve a new black belt after every promotion, with the appropriate number of stripes. So if I tested for 2nd degree, I would get a new black belt with 2 stripes and still have my old one with none...so a lot people get the stripes added. Sometimes I think a plain belt with no stripes period looks good, though. Which is how we do it in judo and jujutsu, until 6th dan of course.

Latest Discussions