Found One

Kaygee

Blue Belt
Reaction score
So I found this nice little Tae Kwon Do school around the corner from me. Completely "old-school" and is run by a 7th dan Grandmaster that learned the art in Korea when he was posted over there in the military.

I informed him that I was completely content on starting as a white belt, but he insisted that he see what I could do. All of the Gi Cho and Pyung Ahn forms are exactly the same as they were in my former Tang Soo Do schol, so he realized that he would not have to teach me any of them. Also Bassai (passai, whatever) is the same.

So he said to me "I am not putting you out there as a white belt. You will keep your current rank that you had in Tang Soo Do." I told him that I didn't want to step on anyone's toes or make anyone angry by starting me off as a red belt, but he said his students do not act or think like that.

This place has been around for 46 years. The black belts I met yesterday have been there for decades....most were older than me, it was a refreshing sight! It's a tiny little place that you could drive right by, if you weren't looking for it. It's a house converted into a dojang.

Anyway, because the forms that I learned from Tang Soo Do are the same, I can get right to work on the curriculum that I need to learn for black belt. I have a lot of one step sparring to learn and three step sparring to be introduced to (we didn't have that in Tang Soo Do) and something called the Palgwe forms (spelling? Never heard of them) and the crazy, spectacular kicks that Tae Kwon Do is famous for.

So I will have a lot to learn, which is GREAT!!!! Things seem to have worked out great......for some reason.......

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Old saying, 'Gotta look to find.' ;)

Sounds old school, and having long-term students is about the best reference that I can think of.

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
So I found this nice little Tae Kwon Do school around the corner from me. Completely "old-school" and is run by a 7th dan Grandmaster that learned the art in Korea when he was posted over there in the military.

I informed him that I was completely content on starting as a white belt, but he insisted that he see what I could do. All of the Gi Cho and Pyung Ahn forms are exactly the same as they were in my former Tang Soo Do schol, so he realized that he would not have to teach me any of them. Also Bassai (passai, whatever) is the same.

So he said to me "I am not putting you out there as a white belt. You will keep your current rank that you had in Tang Soo Do." I told him that I didn't want to step on anyone's toes or make anyone angry by starting me off as a red belt, but he said his students do not act or think like that.

This place has been around for 46 years. The black belts I met yesterday have been there for decades....most were older than me, it was a refreshing sight! It's a tiny little place that you could drive right by, if you weren't looking for it. It's a house converted into a dojang.

Anyway, because the forms that I learned from Tang Soo Do are the same, I can get right to work on the curriculum that I need to learn for black belt. I have a lot of one step sparring to learn and three step sparring to be introduced to (we didn't have that in Tang Soo Do) and something called the Palgwe forms (spelling? Never heard of them) and the crazy, spectacular kicks that Tae Kwon Do is famous for.

So I will have a lot to learn, which is GREAT!!!! Things seem to have worked out great......for some reason.......

Congratulations!!! It seems you found a little piece of heaven in that dojang.

Manny

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Home away from home, sounds ideal. Good luck on your journey.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Good! Better start training.

What .org is this school affiliated with? Did you ask who he trained with in Korea, or who he trains under now? Might be that someone here knows them.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good luck to you! Now stick with it! :)

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm happy that you found what you're looking for. :)