For those over 50

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you have been in the arts a long time how has your training changed as you passed this mile stone?
For those fairly new in the arts: what problems (if any) do you encounter in learning/practicing your art.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sheldon what I have found out is simple with age comes wisdom to working out, when you are young you believe you can do anything. As you get older you relize that techniques is really the difference in how you approach everything in life just not in the arts. I have relized that doing things a little slower really helps one fully understand what is being tought.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
For me it my training is radically different. Obviously in the early days I was a student rather than a teacher and in reality it was only when we start to teach that we really begin to learn.
I believe the the OP question relates to age rather than time, however in effect our age before and after 50 also represents two eras.
In the early days in karate, the Japanese did not teach Westerners anything more than basic children's karate so what we were exposed to and taught was devoid of realistic application. As such, most of us looked at kata as a grading requirement and pretty much otherwise a waste of time, pretty to watch and something to show off in competition, the more 'showy' the better. You competence was more judged by your ability to fight than anything else and we loved to get stuck in to the sparring.
When politics gets involved $@#! happens and I stopped training while in my forties. I returned to training some years later, in my fifties, and eventually started my own dojo. In the intervening years guys like Patrick McCarthy, Iain Abernethy, George Dillman, Rick Clarke, Erle Montaigue, Geoff Thompson and many others had managed to learn more of the essence of the martial arts and the applications and were actively passing on their knowledge. Now, if a teacher so chooses, there is so much more knowledge available to teach and a far greater knowledge of the kata. Now my students would rather learn the kata and use those applications in a RBSD scenario than spar in a 'sport' based kumite. In the dojo the emphasis has changed from Kumite to Kata.
Physically, yes I have to work harder to maintain aerobic fitness, but I can still outlast most of my students. Strength-wise I can still hold my own with most but that will change over the next few decades. I work smarter rather than harder, I don't jump all over the place when sparring, I use my knowledge of body mechanics and kyusho to my advantage and I love my training. Like a good wine, we can get better with age.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I started at 47 and I'll be 49 in July. As a person who was very active and fit in my younger days as a US Marine, I can tell you that I don't recover as fast from injuries as I did when I was younger, I'm more aware of actions that might injure me, and I'm not very flexible anymore.

On the other hand, pain doesn't bother me as much as it used to. It's more like an old friend.

And I don't have to suck in my gut or stick out my chest. No one left to impress, I'm just basically kick-*** because that's what I am, not because I need anyone to know it.

Last edited:

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
Fifty comes in June of this year. The latter part of my forties has changed my training and outlook. I started my Hapkido-Karate training just shy of 35 and graded for my first dan 11 years later.

The big thing is that I don't want to take the hard falls on the mats anymore. My back is prone to stiffening and spasms; my knees were never great to begin with. I tried Systema last year, which takes a very fluid approach to ukemi, but my heart wasn't in it.

About a month ago, I joined a Yoga studio, which I attend three to four times a week. I practised Yoga in my mid-forties, when I was a brown belt, and it helped me a lot.

There's still some MA in my future. One of my sensei, a police officer, has invited me to come help him out with some training he's set up informally for some of his colleagues.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've been practicing Tai Chi and Qi Gong for many of my 'middle' years, and they are very beneficial. But when I was 21, I certainly wasn't worried about high blood pressure, weight, possible arthritis and heart disease. I doubt these arts would've appealed to me back then.

In younger years, I was almost solely focused on possible external threats... not a thought back then that my own body might give out on me, that I might just die without anyone killing me.

The American Cane System began to look very attractive - when the doctor ordered more exercise and I had started having foot problems. I'd have never considered a walking stick back then, those things are for old guys.... yeah, they are... for old guys who plan on staying around many more years.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am 66 yrs old and have spent 43 years in the arts. The important thing I have found out is to keep moving. I can't do nearly as much as I could when I was younger, and old injuries crop up if I push too much, so I have to listen to by body a lot more. The most important thing for me to remember is to not let my mind write a check that my body can't cash.
icon7.gif

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I can tell you that I don't recover as fast from injuries as I did when I was younger, I'm more aware of actions that might injure me, and I'm not very flexible anymore... On the other hand, pain doesn't bother me as much as it used to. It's more like an old friend.

I'll be 55 this July and I feel pretty much the way Bill does. I quit training for about 16 years and finally started up again a couple of years back. It's tougher than it used to be. My former juniors in my style are now my instructors, I learn more slowly now, and find some techniques I used to bank on pretty tough to pull off. On the other hand, I'm way more stubborn than ever, which means I've been physically sore most of the last two and a half years, and it's beginning to pay off. My goal is to get to the point where I gain enough skill to compensate for my age, and continue practicing for many more years like Brother Seasoned.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Fifty comes in June of this year. The latter part of my forties has changed my training and outlook. I started my Hapkido-Karate training just shy of 35 and graded for my first dan 11 years later.

The big thing is that I don't want to take the hard falls on the mats anymore. My back is prone to stiffening and spasms; my knees were never great to begin with. I tried Systema last year, which takes a very fluid approach to ukemi, but my heart wasn't in it.

About a month ago, I joined a Yoga studio, which I attend three to four times a week. I practised Yoga in my mid-forties, when I was a brown belt, and it helped me a lot.

There's still some MA in my future. One of my sensei, a police officer, has invited me to come help him out with some training he's set up informally for some of his colleagues.

I still have over half a decade to go before I reach 50, but I feel it stalking me at every turn. I figure I will not go peacefully, I’m going out fighting. I intend to train right up until the day I die. I’ve noticed more of a desire to perfect what I spent the last 11 years learning, more so then learning new things. There is so much to work on, I’m just going to have to live forever to get it all done. :)

Hey Gord if you’re looking for something a bit different to train in, pop over to the JCCC, right by the Science Centre, some really good folks out there. Iaido will train you in ways you have yet to think of. http://www.jccciaido.com/

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not quite 50 yet, mid 40's, but I think this is what 50 feels like. Bad hip, bad, knees, and osteoarthritis in my lower back. But I am still kicking and punching. Still mix it up with the young ones and still hold my own most of the time. Now the days after are another story. Look good in the gym but look like a war patient at home.

I now pay more attention to detail, did not do that when I was young. Now it is about the most effective techniques vs. what looks good.

It is true that with age comes wisdom. There have been a few young competitors that have all the talent in the world but not too smart with it. After some coaching and explaining they have thanked me greatly for allowing them to see some simple things that help them out that they never noticed. It is good to know that even though I may not be able to do everything, I can understand things a bit better see what I can’t do and pass that off to others that can do.

OP
tshadowchaser

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Great answeres so far.
It has been a while and then some when I was fifty but I remember that about that time I started noticeing slower reaction time and a longer recovery time from injury. My desire to learn increased and I actively started looking at other schools/systems to expand my knowledge.
My ego also became less apparent and I finaly figured out that each and every system had good and bad points and no one person had all the answeres.
I know that my ability to do the physical excersises I wanted my class to do took more effort than it did in my younger days. I should have keep up with them over the years and pushed myslef to do more of them but I admit I got lazy some where along the way.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm 61 and have arthritis. I don't kick as high as I used to (not that I ever really kicked all that high to start with), but that doesn't stop me from still trying to do the best kick that I can. I don't move as quickly as I used to, so I have to move more efficiently.

It's all about pushing yourself to your limits and never quitting.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Takes a little longer to warm up..When the knee or the back act up I use my cane and hobble around the floor while teaching..When learning new techniques I do as much as I can, if it realy starts to hurt I take a break..

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'll be hitting 40 in June. I've broken my back, ripped my rotator cuff and had a butt load of injuries inside the dojo. I've noticed a definite difference in the way I approach my training. Instead of going balls to the wall with every technique I spend more and more time trying to figure out how I can do each technique more efficiently and use less and less of my own energy in defending myself. Age, at least in aikido, has been a good thing as it's made me really think about the how and why of energy redirection as opposed to the force on force or muscling that I used to enjoy.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Interesting replies. Also edifying to know there are so many others in the same boat. I can barely remember 50 :D but here goes.

As others, have broken many things and torn many others. Even into my mid-50s this was a nuisance, yet I still felt youthful enough that the affliction always seemed to pass (including floating bone chips in cervical vertebrae 3-5). In the past couple years, tho, things seem not to completely heal anymore. Example: The knee that has plagued me the past 20 years now pops and clicks all the time, not just after an intense week or another sprain. Lung capacity seems shot. And so on... (hate to sound like the old people who talk of nothing but their own litany of ailments ;)).

On the other hand, as others here have said, slowing down does have many benefits. And the reality certainly makes me work harder to understand and become more efficient - to work smarter, not harder. Not bad things for a MAist.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Warning
For those Martial Artists under 50yrs of age, read with caution. Never take a seasoned practitioner for granted because of age, this could be detrimental to your health.
Warning :)

Shuto

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I began MA when I was ~50 yrs old. Shortly after I started I injured the ligament that stretches along the bottom of my foot (plantar faciitis or something like that). I woke up one morning and couldn't walk without a crutch or cane. As I was leaving from visiting my doctor, I remarked that he must think me crazy to start MA at my age. He replied that no, he didn't think I was crazy. In fact, he thought that doing this would add years to my life. However, he added that he expected to see me again due to other injuries.

Those other injuries have, in fact, happened, but I haven't gone back to see him. RICE and an occasional ibruprofen have been enough to address my injuries. I find myself using a lot of ice, especially when my knees are acting up. There are products available that provide a wrapping that helps hold the ice pack in position which I highly recommend.

Stretching is important too. I had tendonitis in my knee for many, many months. Everytime it started to heel I would do something to reinjure it. I finally tried stretching it multiple times a day. At least twice a day I would stand on one leg and bring the heel of my foot on the other leg up to my butt and hold it for ~30 seconds. Sometimes the stretch consisted of me simply putting my legs as far back under the chair I was sitting on. For whatever reason, this regimen cleared up my tendonitis issues within two to three weeks. Due to that experience, I now stretch throughout the day and not just my knees.

The benefits far exceed the cost IMO.

Good luck.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Anybody read the book called (I think... I have it but not here) Martial Arts after 40? Wondering if it's worthwhile to put everything else aside and read it now?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Anybody read the book called (I think... I have it but not here) Martial Arts after 40? Wondering if it's worthwhile to put everything else aside and read it now?

If you are referring to the one written by SangH.Kim PH.D yes it is worth your attention, I believe the section called over training is probaly the best read of it. Coordination and reflexes are also very good for anybody, well the whole book is good period. I have had it for years but really started to follow some of his words and they have helped ma alot.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you are referring to the one written by SangH.Kim PH.D yes it is worth your attention, I believe the section called over training is probaly the best read of it. Coordination and reflexes are also very good for anybody, well the whole book is good period. I have had it for years but really started to follow some of his words and they have helped ma alot.
That's the one. Thanks, Terry. :asian: