What Good are Forms?

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not in standardized styles like JKA Shotokan and Kukkiwon TKD. There's individual quality of performance, but it's still the same form. Like how two people can sing the national anthem and it doesn't sound identical, but they're singing the same song.

Except my experience with TKD forms is it's more like playing Bach.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Not in standardized styles like JKA Shotokan and Kukkiwon TKD. There's individual quality of performance, but it's still the same form. Like how two people can sing the national anthem and it doesn't sound identical, but they're singing the same song.
The fact that there are different types of TKD makes me think that this is probably not true. The numerous Taekwondo associations makes me think the same thing.

Mitlov

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The fact that there are different types of TKD makes me think that this is probably not true. The numerous Taekwondo associations makes me think the same thing.

There are many styles of karate. JKA Shotokan is one of them, and all JKA Shotokan dojos use standardized kata. The fact that other karate styles do different katas, or different versions of these katas, does not change the standardization of JKA Shotokan.

There are many styles of TKD. Kukkiwon TKD is one of them, and all Kukkiwon dojangs use standardized forms. The fact that other TKD styles do different forms does not change the standardization of Kukkiwon TKD.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score

There are numerous TKD associations, and most (to my knowledge) have separate forms. An ITF school isn't going to train Taegeuk Il Jang different than a KKW school, because they aren't likely to train Taegeuk Il Jang.

Latest Discussions