2 man drills

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What problems have you encountered in 2 person training activities and how have you worked past these problems?
What benefits have you gained from them or what do you feel has been a deterrent to your training in them?

kosho

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hope this finds you well. Sensei come by the Dojo when you get a free moment and we can share 2 man drills and other Idears.
you are always welcome to my Dojo...look forward seeing you.
Steve
P.s. I have a seminar coming up you may want to come to???

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What problems have you encountered in 2 person training activities and how have you worked past these problems?
What benefits have you gained from them or what do you feel has been a deterrent to your training in them?

I've been working hard on the Kenpo "Two Man Set" for close to two years now. I had started learning the set in the summer of '04. In October of that year, Mr. Planas released his video tape on this set. Our school studies under Mr. Planas, but the set I was learning from my instructors had just a passing resemblence to what the tape showed.

I viewed the tape pretty carefully, and discussed the set with Mr. Planas through several private lessons. I now have a pretty high confidence level in what I am supposed to be learning in this set.

Mr. Planas indicated that the purpose of any two man set is to guage range for weapons - to put real targets in front of weapons. It is very important that your feet move in such a way as to put your hands in range.

At our school, we are beginning to get, successfully, to this point, in this set. I think, now, we are able to search for any deeper meaning in the set.

So ... in answer to your questions.

Challenge number 1 - Make sure that all students know the embryonic moves contained in the drill. (What is the footwork, what is the weapon, what is the target).

Challenge number 2 - Execute those embryonic moves with footwork that puts your hands in range.

There is one interesting item I believe I have found concerning the Kenpo Two Man Set. The set begins facing 12:00 O'clock. When the first sequence ends, continuing with the sequence can take place starting from the 1:30 line. If they continue the sequence again, it begins facing 3:00 O'clock. Etcetera, Etcetera. So as a continuously repeating set, it moves through all eight angles of attack and defense. Now, I haven't been able to run it through all eight angles yet, myself, but I'm getting there.

Latest Discussions