Food for thought!

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That is what a garden is for, if you have the space to grow one. People in rural areas, especially, should have no problem with that.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Eating healthy foods may be expensive now...but as you age...it will be more expensive if you do not eat healthy foods today.

The cost of medicines,hospital stays,doctors costs and health plans cost are going up and up. Eat healthy, stay healthy, live longer and more enjoyable life style when you are in the 60's and up.

or expect consequences of eating poor, unhealthy foods...as you age? ..Aloha

donna

Black Belt
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
That is what a garden is for, if you have the space to grow one. People in rural areas, especially, should have no problem with that.

We live in a desert area, and by the time we pay for every liter of water that we use to grow a few stunted vegys, it works out much more expensive again. Frozen vegetables are our mainstay, as the "fresh" fruit and vegys are all coolstore which makes them mushy.
It is indeed a sad reflection on our times that "Junk" food os often cheaper than wholesome food.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:

My post actually tacked in two directions, didn't it.

First I was thinking of the urban dwellers on the fourth floor walkup; living in a small two bedroom apartment. At most, they might be able to manage a window box. Although we hear about community gardens, I think there are far fewer of them (and spaces for them) than would meet the demands of the population.

But also the flight of quality grocery stores from the rural areas. Certainly, they can generate some produce on their own. I know many small, rural communities create their own community food banks, but fresh fruit, and vegetables can't usually be accomodated, because of the lead time.

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sorry, I really don't agree, and I think blaming economics is a poor excuse for eating crap. Spaghetti, vegetables, rice, beans, apples, cereals, eggs, bread, tofu, and tortillas are cheap, lots cheaper than beef, chips, "cheese food," M&M's and processed foods, and WAY cheaper than McDonald's or Burger King. Food co-ops exist to buy less expensive produce, and Costco and other warehouse stores are also great places to shop economically. Skim milk is no more expensive than whole milk.

You might blame ignorance--many people still don't realize what makes for an unhealthy diet, though most have to admit that they know full well that Coca-Cola is crap even if they think it tastes good. And you can't discount the incessant advertising for crap (Buy, buy, buy, eat, eat, eat)--I mean, they can't sell it to you fast enough!

Busy lifestyle plays a role, but hey, I'm a single parent with 2 jobs and 2 kids, and I still manage to wrap up some leftover grilled vegetables for lunch, or a piece of fruit for a snack.

So let's be honest...

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
I will agree that SOME health foods are low cost, but most of them are more expensive. Also your geographical location playes a huge roll in what you CAN get, growing you own garden or not. I now live back in an area that has a short growing season and some items we simply do not have the season to mature enough. Sure the argument can be made for starting the longer growing plants inside, then transplanting when the ground is warm enough, but then you have to have the room to do so, and spend $3.00 a gallon to heat that area. The temps are still low single numbers overnight when we should start some things, and keeping even a small area warm enough is cost prohibitive for most families up here. If it came down to keeping my peppers warm or my kids, guess what one is going to freeze? Fresh peaches? what are those? We don't get them here during the season or not, sure we have peaches in the stores, but the are under-ripe (peaches are one fruit that will NOT ripen/sweeten after picking) or mush (from shipping ripe), neither of which I can get my family or myself to eat. I just moved away from Western Michigan where we were spoiled on fresh fruits and veggies, they were grown locally and were much cheaper than in the stores around here (example: Peaches - W. Michigan $17.00/bushel, N. Maine $1.39/Lb (45 to 50 Lbs per bushel) = $66.00/bushel avg.)

So, yes I see economics play a role in healthy eating for sure in this area (I lived here for 16 years before moving to W. Michigan the last 2 years). Also there is a HABIT of unhealty eating that is pervasive in this area, and that is going to be harder to overcome than the economics. We are lucky and have the means and habits to eat heather than most do around here, but are aware that our $600 to $800 monthly grocery bill (Wife, Myself and 4 small boys) is out of the mainstreams reach also.

Just some food for thought on economics and healthy eating from someone who lives in one of those out of the way places where the choices are limited (yes pun intended.)

Good thread by the way.

OP
Bigshadow

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Phoenix44 said:
Sorry, I really don't agree, and I think blaming economics is a poor excuse for eating crap. Spaghetti, vegetables, rice, beans, apples, cereals, eggs, bread, tofu, and tortillas are cheap, lots cheaper than beef, chips, "cheese food," M&M's and processed foods, and WAY cheaper than McDonald's or Burger King.
First of all nobody is blaming economics, however, economics are a major factor in the obesity epedemics. It certainly is not the cause.

As for economics vs nutrition.... Let's see...

Spaghetti = crap + cheap
cereals = most are crap (other than plain oatmeal or the high protein cereal) + expensive
bread = mostly crap + cheap
Tortillas = crap + cheap
chips = crap + nearly as pricey as cereal
cheese foods = crap + cheap
M&Ms = crap + cheap
Processed foods = crap + cheap (you can get a whole box of lil Debbies for the price of 1 apple).

That leaves...
vegatables = pricey but healthy
rice (brown whole grain) = a little more than bleached enriched rice
beans = cheap (but long prep time)
apples = pricey
meat (white meat chicken and fish) = expensive

At least that is the way I see it.

OP
Bigshadow

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Phoenix44 said:
You might blame ignorance--many people still don't realize what makes for an unhealthy diet, though most have to admit that they know full well that Coca-Cola is crap even if they think it tastes good. And you can't discount the incessant advertising for crap (Buy, buy, buy, eat, eat, eat)--I mean, they can't sell it to you fast enough!

Busy lifestyle plays a role,
So let's be honest...

I agree! :D

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Today in America...we depend on the grocery stores for food. When transportion fails...most supermarkets has supplies for up to 3 months,(average inventories). Years ago in Hawaii...there was a long shoreman's strike...no shippments in or out of Hawaii...almost 3 months long...most of the supermarkets had runs (people buying everything on the shelves). Food was begining to be hard to find. No flesh produce.

Remember this..in case of disasters/wars/storms/strikes....be prepare...WATER will be the most important...than food.

MRE's are good to have in storage.....keep an eye on the news...be prepare to start collecting things for survival.

Our trading of goods are the best in the world...but if no trucks,trains,ships,barges or planes cannot move....neither will the food. .....Aloha

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Spaghetti = crap + cheap
cereals = most are crap (other than plain oatmeal or the high protein cereal) + expensive
bread = mostly crap + cheap
Tortillas = crap + cheap

The American Dietetic Association recommends 5-6 servings of grain for the average kid. A bowl of Cheerios costs less than 30 cents and has a fair amount of fiber and nutrition, but if you have some reason to call it crap and expensive, OK.

Latest Discussions