First they came for Tony the Tiger...

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmmm...are food police more left or more right...the story...

http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=44343

from the article:

Tony the Tiger, some NASCAR drivers and cookie-selling Girl Scouts will be out of a job unless grocery manufacturers agree to reinvent a vast array of their products to satisfy the Obama administration’s food police.

Either retool the recipes to contain certain levels of sugar, sodium and fats, or no more advertising and marketing to tots and teenagers, say several federal regulatory agencies.

The same goes for restaurants.

It’s not just the usual suspected foods that are being targeted, such a thin mint cookies sold by scouts or M&Ms and Snickers, which sponsor cars in the Sprint Cup, but pretty much everything on a restaurant menu.

Although the intent of the guidelines is to combat childhood obesity, foods that are low in calories, fat, and some considered healthy foods, are also targets, including hot breakfast cereals such as oatmeal, pretzels, popcorn, nuts, yogurt, wheat bread, bagels, diet drinks, fruit juice, tea, bottled water, milk and sherbet.

Food industries are in an uproar over the proposal written by the Federal Trade Commission, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Food and Drug Administration and the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I guess you've never read the nutrition labels on those foods. They are all laden with sodium.

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sodium is one of the leading contributors of high blood pressure. Which has a tendency to lead to heart disease. Your avarage diet of packaged food will have you consuming 4-5 times your daily requirement of sodium. Most times it's there either as a preservative, or as a flavour enhancer because it's cheaper than real spices and stuff.

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
But do you want the likes of Anthony Weiner telling you that you can't have those foods?
What you eat is not the federal authorities business. If I want to watch what I eat, I can research it myself, and the feds can worry about terrorists.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sodium is one of the leading contributors of high blood pressure. Which has a tendency to lead to heart disease. Your avarage diet of packaged food will have you consuming 4-5 times your daily requirement of sodium. Most times it's there either as a preservative, or as a flavour enhancer because it's cheaper than real spices and stuff.

true enough...

Cook real food and...

No, wait, what's the intend of this thread?

(fat and salt....the 2 things guaranteed to make things taste...and cheap to boot...)

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
All wrong, the 4 food groups are:

Scotch, dead animal, bread and chocolate

Sensei Payne

Black Belt
Reaction score
High Fructose Corn syrup has been banned in several countries...along with Aspertame.

And I wouldn't mind that to happen here...it would make it easier to make healthy choices.

being lactose intolerant that I am...you wouldn't belive how many food have milk product in it...if your thinking, oh...milk is good for you...think again.

http://saveourbones.com/osteoporosis-milk-myth/

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It is the reasoning being exhibited in this thread that makes me grind my teeth and speak poorly of liberals (Canadian, American, British, whatever).

Fact: Something is bad for you.

• Conservative Solution: So what? I don't believe it. And even if I did, freedom, baby!
  • Moderate Solution: Good to have laws that require we be told so that we can make informed decisions, even if we make unhealthy choices sometimes.
  • Liberal Solution: People won't make rational decisions, so we must ban things for their own good.
I'm somewhere between the conservative and moderate approach on this. I like the fact that food has to have labels on it saying what is in it. I'd really like to be able to avoid certain foods, and being a diabetic, I have to avoid some kinds of food. So I see that as a useful law and a valid use of the power of government to 'support the general welfare'.

People who want to ban products 'for your own good' make me rather upset. Yes, logic, reason, and science are on your side. No, that's not a good enough reason to tell adults what they can and cannot eat. Mind your own business. You want to eat healthy? Do so. I don't want to eat healthy, and it's my money, my health, my life, and yes, my freedom. So shut it.

Let me put it this way - if there is some compelling reason why government ought to be permitted to ban food on the sole basis that it is unhealthy for us, then they also have the right to ban 'extreme sports' and smoking, and drinking, and to force people to exercise and lose weight. There is no slippery slope, even; it's all the same thing. If 'your health' is a valid reason to tell you how to live, then there is no limit on what the government can tell you to do. Non servium, baby. When you come for my twinkies, bring guns. Lots of 'em.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
High Fructose Corn syrup has been banned in several countries...along with Aspertame.

And I wouldn't mind that to happen here...it would make it easier to make healthy choices.

being lactose intolerant that I am...you wouldn't belive how many food have milk product in it...if your thinking, oh...milk is good for you...think again.

http://saveourbones.com/osteoporosis-milk-myth/

aye, working on the milk avoidance ATM....though the US is much better about it than the foods in Europe...the EU has a big milk lake to disperse...

And have you not listened to the ads on TV: Highfructose Cornsyrup is just like cane sugar (paid for by the corn industry)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sure the free choice to eat yourself to death, have heart attacks because of too much salt or diabetes through being overweight is a grand thing but I think fellow citizens who watch their diets and try to stay healthy may complain when their medical insurance premiums go up because of the less healthy. Even in capitalist countries no man is an island and what one group of people do affects many others.

Quota restrictions have reduced radically the 'milk lake' thankfully, though it's not so good for dairy farmers.

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It is the reasoning being exhibited in this thread that makes me grind my teeth and speak poorly of liberals (Canadian, American, British, whatever).

Fact: Something is bad for you.

• Conservative Solution: So what? I don't believe it. And even if I did, freedom, baby!
  • Moderate Solution: Good to have laws that require we be told so that we can make informed decisions, even if we make unhealthy choices sometimes.
  • Liberal Solution: People won't make rational decisions, so we must ban things for their own good.

I'd put myself around the Moderate. However, there does come a time when knowing what's in the food is not enough when all the food is the same crap.

I've been strugling with hypertension for the better part of a decade. I read the lables for sodium content. You'd be amazed how much of that stuff is out there. And in places you'd not think about. The mind bogling one was a few weks ago. The local supermarket had boxes of frozen fish filets on sale. Not seasoned, coated or anything. Just frozen fish. I looked at the box and the sodium content was off the scale. It's frozen fish!!!

SensibleManiac

Black Belt
Reaction score
When it comes to food I'm glad I don't live in the US, not that Canada's perfect but man, people are being systematically poisoned in North America, it's time everyone woke up!

Governmaents in general have done a terrible job in this area and that's not about to change.

People need to take control of what they're feeding themselves.

Chocolate is ok though ;)

Sensei Payne

Black Belt
Reaction score
aye, working on the milk avoidance ATM....though the US is much better about it than the foods in Europe...the EU has a big milk lake to disperse...

And have you not listened to the ads on TV: Highfructose Cornsyrup is just like cane sugar (paid for by the corn industry)

Yeah, here in the states, it pops up in bold at the bottom of the ingrediants label, and when I go out to eat, i tell them I have a food allergy, and if I say that and milk is in the product, and I eat it and ingest it...and it makes me sick...its grounds for a lawsuit. That being said, they are usually good about making my food. Most food places will have a manager actually prepare the food just to make sure...and its usally made perfect.

Latest Discussions