first competition :)

Digger70chall

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys i've got my first competition in a month. I am not ready for sparring and only know 1 form so i'll be demonstrating Chon-ji and doing some board breaking. I was just wondering how people prepared for competition and any tips on board breaking you may have. I need to figure out an interesting break to do, hopefully something a little more advanced than what my rank indicates i would be capable of. If anyone has any favorite breaks from old that hey would like to tell me about i'm all ears. I don't have much time to prepare for this and want to do my best for my dojang.

J

Jim Tindell

Try sparring. Just try it. Taekwondo tournaments are just as much experience-builders as competition.

Board-breaking really depends on what kind of competition you'll be doing. If you're setting up your own breaks, just go for stuff you're pretty sure you can break... like stuff you've done before. You'll be amazed at how many people try to get ahead of themselves with breaks they've never tried before, and fail completing the break. If you're doing "blind-breaking" like our tournaments do (You face away from the ring, judges set up board how they see fit for your group. When they say begin, you turn around and break them, not knowing before-hand what they are.), then just go with your first instincts. If they allow punching, I'd try for that... since, to me, punch breaks take a little less precise-ness. Maybe that's because I still have a problem with pulling my toes back, though.

You'll have a blast, and your dojang will be proud that you competed regardless of the trophies you bring back to the school.

Aqua4ever

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I don't do breaking so i can't help you there but for your pattern-
Chon-Ji is a pattern that can show well! Just practice practice practice, and then when you think youv'e done it enough, do it again ;) Before i go to sleep, i go over the pattern in my head, try it, see how well you can picture what the stances look like and picture all your movements crisp and precise. See if you can get people to watch it and critique it, or have two people watch and have one focus on stances and one on technique. But most importantly remember that its a learning experiance! have fun at the tournament, and i to suggest sparring, whats the worst that can happen? You get no points? so what, you learn some new techniques, or you learn what doesn't work for you! No harm done, and it shows you've got the guts to try it!
Good luck, keep us posted!
Aqua

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
i got my first one in a little less then a month too, im doing sparring and a a from.... what one are you going to?

wish i could help you but im trying to figure out my own thing right now too

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Broad Breaking you need to condition the hands start out by buying a broad and cut it 12 x 12 and put the broad on the floor andd start the hit the broad with your fist about 50 times every other day for about a week that will harden your fist enough to be able to break with ease. As far as Chon ji just practic eit everyday for about an half an hour and you'll be fine. Why not sparring by the way

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would ask your instructor... For breaks, learn (1) palm break through 1 board 10x 12 x1" pine. (2) hammerfist-1 (3) step or hopping side kick-1 (4) front kick-1 (5) if your flexible enough for the leg to go high, axe kick-1 6) flying side kick one board is fun for some beginners.

Pick and choose from these as you have alot of tournaments to improve your breaking skills but these are basic. You will soon learn what you are good at and what you want to get good at. But don't rush it. And it's good to practice on rebreakable boards (or real) before.

Enjoy the tournament! TW

OP
D

Digger70chall

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
hey guys, lotsa help so far. I've been working on my forms plenty, hopefully it'll look great for the competition. Thanks for the suggestions on board breaks TW, i'll be trying a few out on monday after class. I never thought about toughening my hand up before, good idea though so i'll work on it too!

the competition is in Saratoga Springs, NY I think it's just the Pai brothers getting their 7 schools together for some good old fun. I'm not sure if they participate in regional or state tourney's i'll be sure to ask. The only reason i'm not gonna be sparring is because we don't start practising this until green belt which is another 4-5 months away for me. Thanks for the suggestions guys i'll be working hard until then!

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Digger70chall said:
Hey guys i've got my first competition in a month. I am not ready for sparring and only know 1 form so i'll be demonstrating Chon-ji and doing some board breaking. I was just wondering how people prepared for competition and any tips on board breaking you may have.

Depends on the board breaking format. If it's a team breaking event, you mainly just want to figure out what you can do well, and then work on consistency. It's more about contributing to the team's overall board total than wowing anyone. Hand conditioning's not especially important if you're looking to break 1-2 boards. Anyone can do that cold as long as they're observing proper technique. (Especially in the time frame you're looking at.)

On the pattern, drill, drill, and drill some more. Be sure to pay attention to where you start and where you end up.