First class!

bigfootsquatch

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I had a great time. The instructor gave me plenty of stuff to work on until my next visit.

Went over some basic drills
Chi No Kata and Sui No Kata
Some Jo techniques

It was definitely different than any weapon work, stance, etc. than I've seen before. Very good stuff!

Got lots to practice

Theres no way to figure this stuff out on your own. That's for sure.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's fantastic! Isn't it awesome to be immersed in something new? :)

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I had a great time. The instructor gave me plenty of stuff to work on until my next visit.

Went over some basic drills
Chi No Kata and Sui No Kata
Some Jo techniques

It was definitely different than any weapon work, stance, etc. than I've seen before. Very good stuff!

Got lots to practice

Theres no way to figure this stuff out on your own. That's for sure.

Glad you enjoyed it!

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
happy that you enjoyed your first class. Keep us informed as to your progress

OP
bigfootsquatch

bigfootsquatch

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The Bujinkan system is definitely unique. I really wasn't expecting to see such a different perspective on techniques and philosophy. I'm going to make it at least once a month to train. I'd like to do more, but it is a good distance a way. In the mean time, I have plenty to practice and drill. The good thing is that class is about 3 hours long, so I can get plenty of practice and corrections while Im there.

The instructor also encouraged me to watch and study anything by Hatsumi. He's helping me filter through the "good" and "bad". He said there are several right ways to do things per se, but there are also some ways which are just wrong.

Honestly, right now I have plenty to practice. I watch Hatsumi videos for fun and to just get an idea of where training will eventually take me. Right now I have to ingrain the basics.

I'll reiterate though. Don't be fooled by solo study; you'll only be fooling yourself. Prior experience may give you an edge, but without corrections it will also turn your Budo Taijutsu into "insert previous style you studied" Taijutsu. It will not be correct.

I experimented with that. I studied and practiced sanshin no kata on my own for about a week or a little more (drilled each kata 40 times per day). It helped me know what the instructor was talking about, BUT I had already started to form some bad habits in my stance (more tae kwon do stance) and blocks. What would have happened if I never received corrections, or if I sent in a video for corrections, but I had already been doing it for 3-4 weeks? Those bad habits would be that much harder to break. If you're not willing to drive, find something else closer to study.

Hopefully people will agree (if not please explain :) ) that driving at least once a month is muuuuuuch better than any video only training.
You still have to practice every day! Make the time with your instructor a time of learning, not of RE learning!

Thanks everyone for all your assistance in helping me find a good school.

yorukage

White Belt
Reaction score
That's great, enjoy the training! I agree with you about the video training. I trained in Bujinkan for years in the dojo, then moved to a place with no dojo close with in 6 hours, so I started doing some video training and going to what classes and seminars I could throughout the year each year. It helped me keep in practice and so I didn't have to switch to a new style all over again, but you are right that it's no replacement for in dojo training. Thankfully I eventually found other closer dojo to train at.

Latest Discussions