Fired for Threeway?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im with your step for step there JKS. I really wonder just how "public" this area was? That really changes the equation. If this was a "KOA" sort of camp that would be different than if it was somewhere in the deep woods IMO.
Well... they were close enough to be disturbed when someone closed a car door nearby. I just did some hunting; Cardens Bluff Campground is in the Cherokee National Forest, and it sounds like it's a pretty typical tent campground. Based on the map I found here, the sites aren't completely secluded, but at the same time -- let's be real. It was late at night. And the prohibition on alcohol at those campgrounds isn't exactly heavily observed... So, I kind of have to assume that there was something more to the story, that's not getting out.

Granted, you got deputies in a threesome. That is sort of news, especially on a slow day. And maybe the writer had an issue with the department; he certainly seems to make a big deal over a handful of firings over a couple of years. Most fair sized departments end up with a few over the course of a couple of years...

Last edited:

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I understand that, and of course they are voluntary. Assuming that every employer won't eventually demand one. I just don't agree with it. In my experience, public adherence to an arbitrary set of social norms we call "morality" is a very poor predictor of job performance. Now, if you want to go to the realm of true harm and true crime where people actually get hurt, then I agree. I just don't think that sleeping with other consenting adults (or drinking or going to strip clubs or whatever) in a non-socially acceptable manner means anything for how you perform your job.

I agree. However, society is still the great arbiter of what is 'decent' and what is not, regardless of how unrealistic their demands or how little individual adhere to those ideals themselves *televangelist* *cough* *Falwell* *Clinton* *cough*. Most departments not only forbid impropriety but also the appearance of it. It's 19th century stuff, but it's unlikely to go away anytime soon. If you take the king's gold, you're the king's man. That means you kowtow to the rules, no matter how arcane.

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I`ve got to agree with Bill on this one. When you work with the public you are the recognizable face of the dept. You can`t ever really be off the job because people assume you are the job. Even if you`re doing nothing wrong, you can`t risk the appearance of doing something wrong.

It sucks. Believe me, I know. I`m a small town school teacher now, and I was a missionary 20 years ago. Everywhere I go and everything I do has to be considered through that light. One of the reasons I have this job now is because the guy before me used to relax after school with a few beers on his porch......right in front of the main school bus stop. The teachers here like to drink. We have organized parties with the PTA nad the BOE with open bars......but you don`t drink where the kids can see.

The only thing in this story I`d have to question is the child endangerment charge. If having a few drinks and having sex while your kid is asleep nearby is a crime, I`m willing to bet that most people in the US are crimminals.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I`ve got to agree with Bill on this one. When you work with the public you are the recognizable face of the dept. You can`t ever really be off the job because people assume you are the job. Even if you`re doing nothing wrong, you can`t risk the appearance of doing something wrong.

It sucks. Believe me, I know. I`m a small town school teacher now, and I was a missionary 20 years ago. Everywhere I go and everything I do has to be considered through that light. One of the reasons I have this job now is because the guy before me used to relax after school with a few beers on his porch......right in front of the main school bus stop. The teachers here like to drink. We have organized parties with the PTA nad the BOE with open bars......but you don`t drink where the kids can see.

The only thing in this story I`d have to question is the child endangerment charge. If having a few drinks and having sex while your kid is asleep nearby is a crime, I`m willing to bet that most people in the US are crimminals.

My only complaint with police department's "Code of Conduct" is that they have you sign it, then they never talk about it or actually review it like other polices and they never enforce anything out of it until it goes public and then they use that to justify termination. It should be called the, "If you embarass us, we will fire you" clause.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
If I was the park management, I think I would be having some serious conversations with their park rangers. To me, this sounds like nothing was going to be done about it, the park rangers sat and watched for awhile enjoying the show. Then suddenly THEY get caught watching and that person probably made a big deal about it and then they jump into action acting all offeneded to in an attempt to get themselves out of trouble for not doing anything.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My only complaint with police department's "Code of Conduct" is that they have you sign it, then they never talk about it or actually review it like other polices and they never enforce anything out of it until it goes public and then they use that to justify termination. It should be called the, "If you embarass us, we will fire you" clause.

Well, there you go. Don't do that, and you probably won't get fired.

Seriously, police work is a thankless job in a number of ways - most cops know that. It's unfair; cops are under a microscope, their every decision second-guessed by civilian elected leaders and criticized by press, public, and in some cases, DA's, judges, and juries.

I know it sucks. It is not the only reason that I am no longer in law enforcement, but it's one of the smaller reasons. I sympathize, but these are the rules of the game. Life sucks, wear a helmet.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.johnsoncitypress.com/News/article.php?ID=80616

I'm sort of in a conundrum on this one. Sure, what they did is sort of a PR problem for the department. But is what they were doing in the middle of the night, off-duty (and caught by off-duty's), in a forest really a "fireable" offense?

And the forest rangers were standing around watching for a while and only did anything when another camper approached and they stopped? That seems interesting.

I wonder what this "campground" was like. Was it in the middle of the woods or was it one of those park your car and camp with all sorts of other people around affairs?

And what makes this a "post their faces" major news story? Their jobs? Would three accountants have gotten the same treatment? Were these officers "problem children"?

Interesting and sordid incident.

I have to laugh, because I've read stories of worse things, and those people still have their jobs. Go figure. LOL. Anyways...fired? Sounds a bit extreme IMO, but thats just me. Unless there's more to the story, you'd think this would be nothing more than a susp. w/o pay for a week or so.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, there you go. Don't do that, and you probably won't get fired.

Seriously, police work is a thankless job in a number of ways - most cops know that. It's unfair; cops are under a microscope, their every decision second-guessed by civilian elected leaders and criticized by press, public, and in some cases, DA's, judges, and juries.

I know it sucks. It is not the only reason that I am no longer in law enforcement, but it's one of the smaller reasons. I sympathize, but these are the rules of the game. Life sucks, wear a helmet.

For the most part, I agree with your first statement of not doing it in the first place. I should have been more specific. I have seen people disciplined for percieved actions that weren't wrong, but the department felt were embarassing and used it as a catch all.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If I was the park management, I think I would be having some serious conversations with their park rangers. To me, this sounds like nothing was going to be done about it, the park rangers sat and watched for awhile enjoying the show. Then suddenly THEY get caught watching and that person probably made a big deal about it and then they jump into action acting all offeneded to in an attempt to get themselves out of trouble for not doing anything.

Yes, the park rangers probably don't even know about the "get out of jail free card" program.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I concur with a lot of what others have said above.

My honest opinion is that I can't believe that they got fired for what has been reported. It might be 'conduct unbecoming' but the last time I looked, police officers were still men and women, with the normal capacity to indulge in inappropriate liaisons.

What they did wasn't 'illegal enough' to warrant dismissal in my book.

OP
Archangel M

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
What I see often in Law Enforcement is the "FIRE HIM!!!!" phenomena.

In this job, almost any officer indiscretion is shortly followed with FIRE HIM! FIRE HIM! FIRE HIM! chants by the torch and pitchfork carrying mob. If the officer is given a suspension and retained all the "thin blue line"..."protecting their own"..."cops can get away with anything" ditty's get trotted out.

Last edited:

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

This is how it reads to me as well. At least in my own experience as a hiker, the park rangers tend to not get involved for minor infractions...they focus on the more serious matters such as illegal campsites, illegal fires, or hikers in trouble. Granted, I've never been on their bad side. ;)

I especially don't get the child endangerment one. I've seen families take small kids on a trail with little or no food or water with them...IMO this potentially endangers a child more than a child sleeping while one of the parents has some adult fun nearby.

Latest Discussions