Tragedy In Wisconsin

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Off-duty Wis. deputy sheriff kills 6
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071007/ap_on_re_us/wisconsin_shooting
By ROBERT IMRIE, Associated Press Writer 1 hour, 8 minutes ago

CRANDON, Wis. - An off-duty sheriff's deputy went on a shooting rampage at a home early Sunday in northern Wisconsin, killing six people and injuring a seventh before authorities fatally shot him, officials said.
ADVERTISEMENT

The suspect was 20 years old and worked full-time as a Forest County deputy sheriff and part-time as a Crandon police officer, Sheriff Keith Van Cleve said. He would not release the suspect's name but said he was not working at the time of the shooting.

A seventh shooting victim was in critical condition at a hospital in nearby Marshfield, said Police Chief John Dennee. A Crandon police officer who fired back was treated for minor injuries and released.

Gary Bradley, mayor of the city of about 2,000, said earlier Sunday that the suspect had been brought down by a sniper, but Van Cleve would not confirm that officers shot the suspect.

It wasn't immediately clear what the suspect's motive was. The shooting occurred in a white, two-story duplex about a block from downtown Crandon.

One of the dead was 14-year-old Lindsey Stahl, said her mother, Jenny Stahl, 39.

She said her daughter called her Saturday night and asked whether she could sleep over at a friend's house. Jenny Stahl agreed.

"I'm waiting for somebody to wake me up right now. This is a bad, bad dream," the weeping mother said. "All I heard it was a jealous boyfriend and he went berserk. He took them all out."

A young LEO loses it and people are made to suffer. This is horrible. This undermines the trust that people place in law enforcement officers. While true the officer wasn't on duty it still probably won't matter because he took an oath to protect and to serve (however it's stated for his department), people would generally hold an individual to that oath 24/7/365. Going on a rampage like this undermines that oath.

My prayers to the families of the dead... even the officer.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't feel the acts of one isolated murderous nut have anything to do with police in general. How about the street cop who shot it out with him and the sniper who took the killer down? There's two cops who risked their lives for the public - why focus only on the bad apple?

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
my feelings go out to the families of those shot and to the family of the officer.
It will be intersting to find out the "whys" of all of this

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm sorry for the loss of life and glad the perp was stopped before more innocents were killed. The fact that he carried tin makes the tragedy neither lesser nor greater. It will be interesting to see in the weeks to come what a review of his past few years reveals. I'm betting there will have been a pattern of increasingly disturbing behavior.

Latest Discussions