Firearms as a martial arts weapon?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by MartialArtist
The martial arts have to change with the times

To me it's a question of whether one emphasizes the martial or the art. The former must change; the latter means to preserve the past.

Tigertron

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
That is not necessary true. Ever heard of the expression "state of the art"? That would implies that the "art" evolves and grows, and not necessary restricted to preserving traditions. Besides, "traditions suck rock" :).

Many martial arts were developed and practiced at a time when moden medical and physiology knowledge was not known to the practitioners then. In other words, they were flying blind. It is our duty to question and evaluate the tradition and the so called "old knowledge". It is detrimental to look upon martial arts as some ancient secret knowledge with perfection distilled in them by the ancient wisemen. Martial art is alive and must be allowed to evolve, to be examined, tested, evaluated, and improved, with the cobweb and garbage tossed out.

Tigertron

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by redfive
I have been training with W. Hock Hochheim since the early 90s He has always tought gun and rifle defence and counter gun and rifle tactics as part of his program. He employees some of the top police and military instructors around. a lot of my martial arts friends think of it as a touchy subject and think that gun training goes against the martial way and all that jaz. Thats why I dont say I'm a martial artist anymore and say I study the Combative Arts.
I learn only things that I feel will save my ***. The gun is high on the list.
I would bet that not even 20% of or troops in Iraq are martial artist, yet they are kicking some real butt. And 95% has nothing to do with hand to hand. So to all the "martial artists" out there, I would say learn to use and defend against modern firearms and like munitions.
The men and women over in the Gulf are the real warriors.

Your friend in the Combative Arts, Redfive

The Delta counter terrorism commandos do not train in martial art beyond what they have learned in the regular services.

Richard Marchenko, founder of SEAL Team 6, openly dismissed martial art.

On the other hand, the FBI Hostage Rescue Team, (the US civilian version of the Delta) is heavily trained in martial art, mostly on the individual agent's own initiative.

OP
S

Shadow Hunter

I was a damn good shooter before I met my teacher. He had only a rudimentary knowledge of firearms, but it was he who turned me into a master shooter.

The mental discipline that is so sadly lacking in modern arts is of great help in using a firearm. The act of firing is similar to that of moving meditation like you find in tradtional Asian archery or blade throwing. I have seen people go nuts in a combat and had them ask me how I could keep so calm under fire.

A person studies a combative martial art to survive on the street. To calm his mind and improve himself he takes the Japanese art of kyudo as well. What is wrong with him shooting a pistol instead of a bow for the same purpose, but with greater uses in the modern world?

I have heard of some pistol competitors meditating before shooting. I once heard an interview with a man who said he prefered to meditate while shotting. He was a world champion as I remember.

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
Firearms are the most efficient weapons currently available for personal protection...it's that simple.
As I've said in past discussions, I feel that anyone who is serious about self-defense should have at least a working knowledge of the various firearms and action types out there. If you don't want to carry one or don't "like" guns fine (BTW, I think this attitude is pretty dumb), but by knowing a little about the weapon you can at least render it safe if you had to disarm someone.

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
MAny Martial Arts will use weapons in class...but many will do excersises from a DEFENSIVE veiwpoint (defense AGAINST the gun, how disarm a gun, knife, etc) rather than offensive use of a weapon. For you FMA practioners its the ultimate "largo mano"! You already have a weapon mentality, a gun is no different then a knife or stick, just another tool. Practice doing your footwork patterns with a firearm. The same footwork that helps you get position with a knife or stick works to turrent your firearm as well.