Finally.... a decent Danzan Ryu video

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Unfortunately, most of the Danzan Ryu videos you can find posted online are pretty bad... poor technique, little or poor explanation of what is going on. I just found this video.... good technique, and excellent discussion of what he is doing and why. He shows the "flow" of a few techniques... then breaks down each technique, how it works and how it can be countered.... which leads to the next part of his flow. I am going through the rest of his videos now.... but it is great to finally see some good videos for DZR....

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Unfortunately, most of the Danzan Ryu videos you can find posted online are pretty bad... poor technique, little or poor explanation of what is going on. I just found this video.... good technique, and excellent discussion of what he is doing and why. He shows the "flow" of a few techniques... then breaks down each technique, how it works and how it can be countered.... which leads to the next part of his flow. I am going through the rest of his videos now.... but it is great to finally see some good videos for DZR....
Looks like good solid techniques. I like how he explains what to do when the technique is busted due to the response by the attacker. Nice. Thanks!

dunc

Black Belt
Reaction score

The essential problem I have with his execution is that he’s using his arms (predominantly) to effect the whole of his opponent’s structure. Ie relatively small muscles expecting to move many, larger muscle groups on his opponent

He’d cope with a resisting opponent better if he were to engage his legs and hips more I think

OP
W

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The essential problem I have with his execution is that he’s using his arms (predominantly) to effect the whole of his opponent’s structure. Ie relatively small muscles expecting to move many, larger muscle groups on his opponent

He’d cope with a resisting opponent better if he were to engage his legs and hips more I think
While I agree with your critique of his execution.... have you seen the other Danzan Ryu videos that are out there???

What I liked was that he showed the techniques that made up the flow, and how they fit into the flow. Specifically, I made move B follow move A because one of the counters to move A is this and it sets him up for move B. He is not making some list of moves to try to do in an order just because they look cool.

His execution was good.... with lots of things to work on. I probably give him a bit of a pass on using his arms too much, as he is trying to clearly show in the video what he is doing. But then, I have not been on the mat with him, so I can't say for sure whether he always executes that way or if that was exaggeration for the video to see.

In any case, this is a step up in the quality of Danzan Ryu videos that are out there.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Doing that with a compliant partner can end up hurting them. Which is one good reason to have a partner who is at least a little resistant, even during a demo.

dunc

Black Belt
Reaction score
Doing that with a compliant partner can end up hurting them. Which is one good reason to have a partner who is at least a little resistant, even during a demo.
Hi
I agree it’s good to have some resistance in drills (& that resistance is on a spectrum)
It’s perfectly possible to apply proper body mechanics to a compliant partner without causing injury
I find that when looking at compliant drills like this it’s really helpful to observe the ratio between muscle strength &/or weight being applied by each side

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes and no. The adjustment could be as much as not letting those elbows flare out as much. He is not doing the technique any more aggressively but he would be using a bit better mechanics

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think one of the problems with videos is that they rarely show the real intensity of the technique. What goes on before and after. I think they should actually show the ribs breaking after that elbow and the opponents elbow being hyperextended to the point of breaking or breaking for that matter. That would make the double arm lock/takedown/throw much easier. Also, clocking the opponent with the right elbow off the double arm lock works well also. Yes, there are numerous counters, but on the street, I would guess 98% of the knuckleheads wouldn’t have a clue as to what you’re doing.
I get the concepts. Good vid!

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
At 2.24, if his tiger mouth (space between thumb and index finger) can face toward his opponent, he can put more pressure on his opponent's arm.

Wrong way to grab the elbow joint - tiger mouth face to yourself.

wrong_grip.jpg

Correct way to grab the elbow joint - tiger mouth face to your opponent.

correct_grab.jpg

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
At 2.24, if his tiger mouth (space between thumb and index finger) can face toward his opponent, he can put more pressure on his opponent's arm.

View attachment 29456

View attachment 29457

View attachment 29456

View attachment 29457

View attachment 29456

View attachment 29457
He seems to be in transition at that point. Just before he is pointing out that he is rotating the wrist/arm. How does the “tiger mouth” come into play when rotating? Or does the “TM” dictate the path of the energy you want to exert?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
He seems to be in transition at that point. Just before he is pointing out that he is rotating the wrist/arm. How does the “tiger mouth” come into play when rotating? Or does the “TM” dictate the path of the energy you want to exert?
If you try to

- bend your opponent's arm, your TM face to yourself.
- straight your opponent's arm, your TM face to your opponent.

At 2.29, he takes his opponent down with TM facing to himself when his opponent's arm is straight.

Tigerwarrior

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Reminds me of yoshitsune combat ju jitsu. I trained with a teacher who used that same wrist lock takedown the one that looks like a standing Americana. I understand there's only so many ways to use leverage but it reminded me of a technique I learned before.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm not really familiar with Danzan Ryu, but that reminded me of Hapkido. I suppose a lot of the Japanese and Korean standing grappling systems are related and will have a lot of similar techniques and principles. The video quality was pretty good, though I wasn't clear on what the objective of the video was. If it was meant as an instructional video, he probably should have gone over each technique a few more times in more detail. But maybe it was just meant as kind of an introduction to the system/school.

Latest Discussions