How should someone demonstrate self-defense concepts in a video?

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I just got done watching a video, made by someone who has read too many Youtube comments. It was a 9 minute video, and probably 6 minutes of it seemed to be aimed at preempting the "this only works because you're doing it slow" and "try that on a non-compliant partner" conversations.

The video had a lot of explanations of "my partner is complying, because I'm showing you slow enough so you can see it", and explanations that if his partner didn't do exactly what he expected, he would modify the technique and take a slightly different approach.

While I agree with all of this, in the end the video left me unsatisfied. For one, all of his talk about doing the techniques slow and building speed later, he never did. He only showed the slow, compliant version. On the other hand, he spent so much time worrying about what people would think, he didn't leave much time to actually demonstrate the techniques, and it really affected the pacing of the video.

Now, I'm not going to link the video I watched, because I don't want the discussion to be about that video. Just in general, if I were to do a video and demonstrate techniques, how should I do it in such a way that:
  1. I can demonstrate the technique at a teachable pace
  2. I can demonstrate the technique at a believable pace
  3. My video doesn't feel all over the place
Here are my thoughts on the subject. Feel free to leave yours below.
  • Demonstrating on a compliant partner is not the only way to demonstrate a technique. Slow-motion breakdowns are important, but you can also cut high-speed versions of the technique as well.
  • Demonstrate against resistance by instructing the resistance. Show how you would modify it based on different responses by your partner. This sequence can be scripted, as long as the one technique is not scripted the same from start to finish every time.
  • Make use of voice-over and b-roll. This will allow you to show techniques at speed while still being able to talk, as you can show them on repeat while discussing the technique. It also allows you to use slow motion capture of a full-speed technique, instead of using a slower version of the technique (although a slower, more exaggerated technique can sometimes be better for explaining). The other nice thing about voice-over and b-roll is that it can allow you to have slicker editing, make more use of different items (like a partner, a BOB, etc), and it can help you get rid of the "ahs" and "ums" from your verbal description of the technique.
  • Plan ahead. Have an outline of what you want to talk about. Be very clear about which part of the demonstration you are in. If you want to show a specific throw, then show the correct technique first, modifications to the technique next, troubleshooting third, and then leave room for drills, comments, or counters at the end. Don't jump back and forth between topics, as it will get confusing.
I've been thinking about making some videos, and at some point I will. But before I start doing something like that, I want to plan ahead and make sure that what I present is the best way I can present it.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I just got done watching a video, made by someone who has read too many Youtube comments. It was a 9 minute video, and probably 6 minutes of it seemed to be aimed at preempting the "this only works because you're doing it slow" and "try that on a non-compliant partner" conversations.

The video had a lot of explanations of "my partner is complying, because I'm showing you slow enough so you can see it", and explanations that if his partner didn't do exactly what he expected, he would modify the technique and take a slightly different approach.

While I agree with all of this, in the end the video left me unsatisfied. For one, all of his talk about doing the techniques slow and building speed later, he never did. He only showed the slow, compliant version. On the other hand, he spent so much time worrying about what people would think, he didn't leave much time to actually demonstrate the techniques, and it really affected the pacing of the video.

Now, I'm not going to link the video I watched, because I don't want the discussion to be about that video. Just in general, if I were to do a video and demonstrate techniques, how should I do it in such a way that:
  • Demonstrating on a compliant partner is not the only way to demonstrate a technique. Slow-motion breakdowns are important, but you can also cut high-speed versions of the technique as well.
  • Demonstrate against resistance by instructing the resistance. Show how you would modify it based on different responses by your partner. This sequence can be scripted, as long as the one technique is not scripted the same from start to finish every time.
  • Make use of voice-over and b-roll. This will allow you to show techniques at speed while still being able to talk, as you can show them on repeat while discussing the technique. It also allows you to use slow motion capture of a full-speed technique, instead of using a slower version of the technique (although a slower, more exaggerated technique can sometimes be better for explaining). The other nice thing about voice-over and b-roll is that it can allow you to have slicker editing, make more use of different items (like a partner, a BOB, etc), and it can help you get rid of the "ahs" and "ums" from your verbal description of the technique.
  • Plan ahead. Have an outline of what you want to talk about. Be very clear about which part of the demonstration you are in. If you want to show a specific throw, then show the correct technique first, modifications to the technique next, troubleshooting third, and then leave room for drills, comments, or counters at the end. Don't jump back and forth between topics, as it will get confusing.
I've been thinking about making some videos, and at some point I will. But before I start doing something like that, I want to plan ahead and make sure that what I present is the best way I can present it.
the whole problem here is non of these tech ueqes work onnon more skilled partner who is physically superior to you who is trying his damdest , just non so your always going to need a patsy, so they work at all, once you've accepted that, where do you draw the line with how much more inferior to you they are or how much they dont try to make the vid look good.

posting a self defence vid where every demonstration ends up with you sat on your bum, isn't likely to be a rating smash or maybe it will !

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
1 - Explain what you're demonstrating.
2 - Demonstrate it slow.
3 - Go through it again, slowly, pausing to cover details.
4 - Demonstrate it fast.
5 - Ignore the trolls.

In #3 or #4, do you demonstrate variations of the technique based on what your partner gives you?

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
the whole problem here is non of these tech ueqes work onnon more skilled partner who is physically superior to you who is trying his damdest , just non so your always going to need a patsy, so they work at all, once you've accepted that, where do you draw the line with how much more inferior to you they are or how much they dont try to make the vid look good.

posting a self defence vid where every demonstration ends up with you sat on your bum, isn't likely to be a rating smash or maybe it will !

You're painting with a very broad brush. If this is true, no grappling art would exist.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You're painting with a very broad brush. If this is true, no grappling art would exist.
why would no grappling art exist ? what I've said is true in all forms of combat , your technique simply will not work against a much more skilled and physically able opponent, they wont work reliably against some one who is equivalent to you.

so you either need an inferior partner for your demonstration or one that isn't really trying

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What's the purpose to create a video?

My purpose is to help students to "remember" what they have learned in the class. Since the detail explanation has already been given in the class, also since the clip is not created for the general public, the audio won't be needed.

A: Even an untrained person will likely step back as you step forward, preventing you from …
B: When you step forward, if your opponent steps back, and remain distance, none of your technique will work.

Who is right? A or B?

Last edited:
OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What's the purpose to create a video?

My purpose is to help students to "remember" what they have learned in the class. Since the detail explanation has already been given in the class, also since the clip is not created for the general public, the audio won't be needed.

A: Even an untrained person will likely step back as you step forward, preventing you from …
B: When you step forward, if your opponent steps back, and remain distance, none of your technique will work.

Who is right? A or B?

What is the purpose to post on this forum?

I train TKD and HKD. I've watched videos from different TKD schools, as well as guys who train boxing, MMA, BJJ, wing chun, wrestling, judo, kali, muay thai, karate, and probably others I'm missing. It's a way to see what other people think and do.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What is the purpose to post on this forum?

I train TKD and HKD. I've watched videos from different TKD schools, as well as guys who train boxing, MMA, BJJ, wing chun, wrestling, judo, kali, muay thai, karate, and probably others I'm missing. It's a way to see what other people think and do.
I have over 1000 clips on my computer. Sometime during discussion, a clip may help me to make my point clearly. I will then put that clip here.

Since there is no audio for my clip, if I post here, I have to add in more text. I usually will take down my clip after 1 month. This way my video will not be in the public domain for very long.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have over 1000 clips on my computer. Sometime during discussion, a clip may help me to make my point clearly. I will then put that clip here.

Since there is no audio for my clip, if I post here, I have to add in more text. I usually will take down my clip after 1 month. This way my video will not be in the public domain for very long.

My point is - why post text on this forum? Why talk on this forum?

This is the same reason to post videos. Collaboration and discussion.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My point is - why post text on this forum? Why talk on this forum?

This is the same reason to post videos. Collaboration and discussion.
I assume if you want to create video and sell it for money, you will try to make your product perfect. If you just create some video for personal usage, it doesn't have to be perfect.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Most video has audio.

Here is a video without audio. IMO, some video is so easy to understand, No audio will be needed.

Let me rephrase. You asked why people should make videos. I was saying it's the same reason as people talk on this forum. (Not your videos, just talking).

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Let me rephrase. You asked why people should make videos. I was saying it's the same reason as people talk on this forum. (Not your videos, just talking).
I try to explain to you why my video doesn't have audio.

When you

- talk on the forum, you try to make other people to understand your point. Audio will be needed.
- make a video for yourself, you just want to record certain information and you don't need to explain to yourself. Audio won't be needed.

Again, some video are so simple and straight forward that audio won't be needed. Will it be nice that people can understand your video without audio? Sometime, more words just confuse more people.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
how much more inferior to you they are!
Your opponent should be just a bit slower than you are. If your opponent can move as fast as you do, when you step in, he steps back, and remains the same distance, since your hand can never touch on your opponent's body, none of your technique will work on him.

IMO, the best way to demonstrate your technique is when your opponent moves in toward you. This way, the distance will not be an issue.

People always ask me, "How can you wrap my punching arm if I always pull my punch back fast?" My answer to him will be, "When you move in toward me, I'll move in toward you at the same time. If my shoulder can hit on your chest, it doesn't matter how fast that you may pull your punching arm back, my arm can still wrap over (or under) your shoulder."

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Meh.

Just do any old thing.

The more you do the better you will get. If you hold off until it's right you will never get it done.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The exact same thing can be said of almost anything, Jobo. You can't win against someone who is more skilled, better equipped, and trying his hardest. I'm not sure what the point is of saying that.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Part of the issue is that the trolls don't acknowledge that there's more to a system. So if I demonstrate a single-leg slowly, with a partner feeding me a predictable "attack", anyone can look at that and say:
  • You knew what was coming.
  • What if he.....
  • What if the guy's faster than you?
And so on.

Good training should include answers to those things over time, but those answers typically will include far too much for a single video. There are a ton of ways a basic single-leg can fail/be countered. Someone with a good single-leg has trained counters to some of those situations, ways to recognize others and not start the single-leg, and ways to alter the single-leg to work in yet more. To cover all of that in a video would probably be impossible.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The exact same thing can be said of almost anything, Jobo. You can't win against someone who is more skilled, better equipped, and trying his hardest. I'm not sure what the point is of saying that.
Yes it's fairly obvious truth, but we are taking about the lack of reality in self defence vids, who seem to gloss 9ver it, with possibly unconscious bias towards showing that the technique works, so they must select a partner who is inferior or not fully committed 9ver wise the vid just shows it not working,

It's a bit broad Bush, but who will a demonstrated technique work against ?

Not some one who is physically and technically superior, probably not someone who is physically superior and has developed basic skills to a good level, not someone who is equivalent physically and technically with any reliability

So that just leaves people who are inferior to you either substantially in one or the other or at least marginally in both.

Latest Discussions