A Kenpoist cross-training in Jujitsu: My first promotion

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
After being a white belt in Danzan Ryu Jujitsu for a year and four months, I finally became a yellow belt. Trying to learn the Japanese terminology wasn't easy, and it was a challenge for my instructor to try to make sure I understood how some of the moves are done, the philosophy, and history of Danzan Ryu Jujitsu.

I'm deaf, and the only adult female in his class. We do have two teenage females and the rest are adult males. My instructor also has a beard and a mustache which makes lipreading hard. In spite of all that, I can see he is a good instructor who is trying really hard to convey the information.

I am probably the only person in his class who remained a white belt the longest. It doesn't matter--I wanted to be sure I knew the stuff before being promoted. Part of the delay is also because I put off taking the test. Even then, I still wasn't entirely sure by the time my instructor thought the delays were going on long enough, he wanted to test me anyway.

I didn't feel confident with Jujitsu. I love Kenpo and I feel so comfortable and at home with Kenpo--there I feel assured and in my element, I feel like I am among "family". I still don't feel comfortable or confident with Jujitsu. I'm never sure with the culture and the procedure, whether I may say or do something to offend. Maybe someday, I will feel as comfortable with Jujitsu as I do with Kenpo. In spite of how I feel there in Jujitsu, I have very good partners, and my instructor is patient.

I also wanted to be sure that just because I study in Kenpo doesn't mean I can move ahead [quickly] in another style. It was a challenge for me mentally since I kept seeing things with a Kenpo view. It was not until recently, I finally was able to view Jujitsu upon its own merits and for what it is, rather than thinking of how I can use it as part of my Kenpo. For now, I am starting to really appreciate Danzan Ryu Jujitsu more. When I become more experienced later on, I will be able to blend them better. For now, I am able to focus more upon Jujitsu and I think my Jujitsu instructor sensed that too.

I brought some flash cards with me that I made recently showing the Japanese terminology used in Danzan Ryu Jujitsu. When my instructor saw me reviewing with them before the test, he decided to use these cards as part of the test (since saying them to me would be meaningless as I'm so nervous I probably couldn't even lipread him at all).

The best part, however, was after the test, he took my flash cards and finally wrote down underneath these words the meaning and breakdown of these Japanese words. Now I finally understand what they mean, instead of just trying to memorize the words to represent something without knowing the meaning behind them.

I think that day of the test, we finally understood how to work together and help each other. It wasn't easy--we both are very different (my learning style vs. his teaching style)--we knew we would eventually make our training experience work out somehow.

Things are getting better. I definitely feel like I earned my yellow belt.

- Ceicei

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wow CeiCei! Congrats!!!!

It sounds as though you have definately earned it, something to be very proud of.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Congratulations, Ceicei! Great job!

BTW, I was THE LAST person in my Danzan-ryu class to move up a kyu as well - I just didn't "get it". Glad to hear it's coming together for you.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
thats just awesome CeiCei! Congrats!

Munkyjitsudo

White Belt
Reaction score
congrats on getting to yellow belt, it's ok to be moving slowly, I'm moving slow as well I should be blue belt working on brown but I'm not gonna go for blue belt till after the summer which means I'm orange. I'm gonna just take my time till I hit the browns and then I'll kick it in to super gear.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
After being a white belt in Danzan Ryu Jujitsu for a year and four months, I finally became a yellow belt.

CONGRATULATIONS! I know this was difficult for you (It's a humbling experience).

I'm deaf, and the only adult female in his class. We do have two teenage females and the rest are adult males. My instructor also has a beard and a mustache which makes lipreading hard.

My wife has the same challenge.

Maybe someday, I will feel as comfortable with Jujitsu as I do with Kenpo. In spite of how I feel there in Jujitsu, I have very good partners, and my instructor is patient.

This means a lot. Many instructors are not so patient, or run hot and cold, or.... :)

I brought some flash cards with me that I made recently showing the Japanese terminology used in Danzan Ryu Jujitsu. When my instructor saw me reviewing with them before the test, he decided to use these cards as part of the test (since saying them to me would be meaningless as I'm so nervous I probably couldn't even lipread him at all).

This convinces me he really is a good instructor--willing to be flexible, able to capitalize on a Teachable Moment (your cards). And you are really dedicated, making his job easier.

I think that day of the test, we finally understood how to work together and help each other. It wasn't easy--we both are very different (my learning style vs. his teaching style)--we knew we would eventually make our training experience work out somehow.

This convinces me he really is a good instructor--willing to be flexible, abot to capitalize on a Teachable Moment (incorporating your cards). But then, this is pretty easy when you the student are so dedicated and willing to learn. :)

Things are getting better. I definitely feel like I earned my yellow belt.
Boy, that's for sure! Congratulations, again! :ultracool (That smiley is you, the cool new yellow belt in a second art!)

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score

- Ceicei

BTW, an excellent point that often gets overlooked. OK if I PM you with a site that offers a free online self-test on teaching/learning styles?
~kw

OP
Ceicei

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
BTW, an excellent point that often gets overlooked. OK if I PM you with a site that offers a free online self-test on teaching/learning styles?
~kw

Sure, go ahead. Thank you. There might be others, though, who would be interested in that self test, so perhaps linking it here would be good.

- Ceicei

OP
Ceicei

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
OK, here goes:

https://great-ideas.org/LSOS.pdf

I'm not really computer literate (or any kind of literate, for that matter :whip1: ) so please someone tell me if this link doesn't work. :)

I took a quick look at the end of the test (haven't looked at the questions yet) and it doesn't offer much in the way of interpreting the scores. Am I to assume the highest number of the four possible categories would be where I fit? I'll be taking the test soon and then will tally it up afterwards.

EDIT: I'm in the middle now, and am wondering if this is a one choice only per question? Some may have two answers of equal value? I'll mark them both anyway and see what happens...

- Ceicei

KenpoGunz

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
A big Congratulations! I found that jiu-jistu helped me really tweak the applications of techniques in Sleeper, Squating Sacrifice, Tripping Arrow, Dance of Death and many others coming from an American Kenpo perspective.

Congrats again

MSTCNC

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Congrats, Ceicei! That is AWESOME!

I always enjoy when a friend triumphs... even more so when they triumph despite a "handicap" that many others would just use as an excuse...

WAY TO GO, GIRL!

:partyon: :partyon:

BTW, one of the things that I'm looking into in CA is Seifukujutsu certification... will you be learning this as well as a part of your DRJJ training??

Your Brother in the arts,

Andrew

OP
Ceicei

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
BTW, one of the things that I'm looking into in CA is Seifukujutsu certification... will you be learning this as well as a part of your DRJJ training??
Probably will when I get to a higher rank somewhere down the road. My instructor studies that, but not sure if he is already certified or in the process.

- Ceicei

OP
Ceicei

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A big Congratulations! I found that jiu-jistu helped me really tweak the applications of techniques in Sleeper, Squating Sacrifice, Tripping Arrow, Dance of Death and many others coming from an American Kenpo perspective.

Congrats again
Yes, the manipulating of joints when working on these techniques have improved a great deal. Jujitsu really makes Kenpo a lot better!

- Ceicei

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
I took a quick look at the end of the test (haven't looked at the questions yet) and it doesn't offer much in the way of interpreting the scores. Am I to assume the highest number of the four possible categories would be where I fit?

Yes

EDIT: I'm in the middle now, and am wondering if this is a one choice only per question? Some may have two answers of equal value?
- Ceicei

Unfortunately, must choose just one.

For more info, I'll post a separate reply.

OP
Ceicei

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
OK, here goes:

https://great-ideas.org/LSOS.pdf

I'm not really computer literate (or any kind of literate, for that matter :whip1: ) so please someone tell me if this link doesn't work. :)

Done with my test. The results are:

Professor: 12
Investigator/troubleshooter: 12
Innovator/Inventor: 7
Communicator/Guide: 9

I find the results rather intriquing. Thank you for bringing up the test.

- Ceicei

OP
Ceicei

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thank you all, for your congratulations with my promotion. Much appreciated!!

- Ceicei

Latest Discussions