How do you study your Kata / Forms?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Can it be said that a long kata/form is just a lot of short ones combined that flow well together?
You are correct. A long form can be many combo sequences that put together. Since there is no logic connection between each combo sequence. It makes no sense to train the whole form. It makes better sense to train just the combo sequence.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
You are correct. A long form can be many combo sequences that put together. Since there is no logic connection between each combo sequence. It makes no sense to train the whole form. It makes better sense to train just the combo sequence.

Alot of forms (particularly in karate) actually do have a theme or principle that links through the whole thing and that it's trying to teach. Even the particular names given to the form will often allude to the principle that runs through the form.

(Some random notes on my phone haha) --->

For example
The kata "Seiunchin", a few translations are "the calm in the storm", and "grab and pull in battle"
Close in, wrestling, grabbing
Elephant
The strength of the elephant tusks, strong immovable. That AIN'T moving. Decide, I am NOT moving. NOTHING can move me. Take on that attitude.
This mindset helps strengthen the body.

Twisting action
Enormous pulling and pushing power

FEEL the strength of it, EMBODY that

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can it be said that a long kata/form is just a lot of short ones combined that flow well together?
It can. In fact one of the ones I created is exactly that. Each "technique" in NGA has a classical form - just a static-start, simplified version of the technique, used for exploring the basic principle with a partner. I strung the first 10 together with transitions to make them flow, and made a longer solo form out of it.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sometimes the purpose isn't the fighting combinations, but what the form can be used for, or what principles can be explored with it. But that aside, it would be entirely possible to have a 50-step form that is all logical progressions. If jab-cross-uppercut works, and uppercut-slip-jab exit works, then we can link those into jab-cross-uppercut-slip-jab exit. The long sequence would probably never happen all together, but you're still practicing a series of logical transitions and links.

Personally, I don't need the forms to have logical combinations in them. I've got combo drills, heavy bag work, and shadowboxing to practice those, already. The forms let me focus on other things. And if I want a more logical combination somewhere in them for a given session, I just substitute different handwork to go with the footwork/body movement of the form.

Latest Discussions