Fill In the Blank... "The Most Important Skill In Martial Arts Is..."

Zenjael

Purple Belt
Reaction score
"How to recognize a good teacher."

Friday at a location I both train and instruct at, we had the rare luck to have an assembly of respective martial arts masters in the area come together. There were 5 masters from 5 styles, with about 14 others in attendance from their own respective styles. Such is NOVA. Each master over the course of the 2 hours was elected to take a segment of time, to both teach, and review, if they had shared before.

One of the more important exercises we had, was while stretching each would share what they thought was the most important technique in martial arts.

I was hoping anyone, with any insight to martial arts might share what in their opinion is just that; the most important skill to them. I figured I would start, though by no means feel it to be the only answer.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would say being humble. IMHO, without this, then you're going to get nowhere in the arts. If you can't empty your cup and accept the fact that you don't know everything and that there're people who're better than you, then your time in the arts will probably suck.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Listening. If you can't really listen and accept what is being said, then even the best teacher's words and lessons will not reach you, and even a brilliant critical mind cannot process information that never reaches it. Humility will enable you to listen effectively. Mouth closed, ears and eyes open, and never question things on the same day they are presented to you. Listening is underrated as a skill, and is not easy to learn or develop, as it involves changing your natural habits.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
He was a humble man, very unassuming. What you saw was what you got, with a demeanor toward others that was not aloof, in fact he placed himself a tad below whoever he met. As I got to know him more, I discovered that he was a shy man, not the type to showoff or draw attention to himself. At events he preferred to be out of the limelight, and would choose a table or seating toward the back. He treated people the way he wanted to be treated, and lived by a code Of ethics that were steadfast.
Once while in Okinawa, he had a contingency of students with him, and for some, it was their first time there. Toward the end of the visit that lasted a week, and, as a token of gratitude for the bond that was made, he was offered a promotion in rank. Masanobu Shinjo Sensei presented it, and it was immediately and politely denied with the words, "I am sorry Sensei, but I did not come to Okinawa for a promotion, but to train and introduce my students to you. From that day forward the bond grew even stronger.

My Sensei, Perter L. Musacchio (The Father of Upstate NY Karate), is the one I am speaking of above. I feel in his life he represented what the OP is asking for from a true Martial Artist. On December 4th, 2008, in an automobile accident, his life ended, but his teachings will live on forever. RIP :asian:

OP
Z

Zenjael

Purple Belt
Reaction score
My Sensei, Perter L. Musacchio (The Father of Upstate NY Karate), is the one I am speaking of above. I feel in his life he represented what the OP is asking for from a true Martial Artist. On December 4th, 2008, in an automobile accident, his life ended, but his teachings will live on forever. RIP :asian:

I feel sadness from hearing that an individual like this passed away. They are the kind who are truly worth knowing, and learning from, and who keep the martial arts alive for the rest of us to attempt to do so. Now and again in life we are lucky to meet people like this, not just in martial arts. I am happy you had the time you did with him, and honestly, I wish I could have met him. If there is anything he has written that you know of, or videos demonstrating his teachings, I hope you post them. I think even just hearing his words of advice, if any are recorded, will help many on these boards.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
A university professor went to visit a famous Zen master. While the master quietly served tea, the professor talked about Zen. The master poured the visitor's cup to the brim, and then kept pouring. The professor watched the overflowing cup until he could no longer restrain himself. "It's overfull! No more will go in!" the professor blurted. "You are like this cup," the master replied, "How can I show you Zen unless you first empty your cup."

You cannot learn anything if you already feel that you know. Preconceived ideas and prejudices always keep us from seeing the truth.

I think that the most important skill in martial arts is keeping an open mind.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Power; Because if You can hit hard, even if you cant call on anything else Youve learnt, You can get by.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Listening and following directions. Very simple concepts, seldom done well.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What's really needed......always have an argument ready, a counterpoint, an exception to the rule, and an excuse. Keep them ready and handy, right behind that theory so loved, that trial and error procrastination, and that nifty new technique shown on Tuesday last. Add some shiny buttons, a few stripes to the old belt, a business card declaring you a sensei, a gal who might listen, and that all important entourage - and viola! You got yourself honest to goodness stud status in Martial Arts.

Just sayin'.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Pretty much all good advice above, which is one of the reasons it is nearly impossible to answer a question like this. To some extent I think it must be teacher and student specific.

But I lean towards MJS and jks9199. Humility should lead to listening and following directions. I might add acceptance of confidence. Not over confidence, but acceptance that the things you are being taught have value (will work) when learned correctly. If you can't, you must be in the wrong MA or lack humility.

rlobrecht

Brown Belt
Reaction score
All the answers have been good. I think Perseverance is a critical skill/behavior/attitude for a martial artist.

You can do anything, if you keep trying.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just my 2 cents, but, basically the majority of the above posts directly or indirectly mention humility as key to the OP question. This is also a trait that will serve everyone well through life in general........ The only way to handle the knowledge you receive in a martial arts setting is to eat a lot of humble pie, right from the start.............

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Common sense. With it, everything said above is obvious. Without it, you end up LARPing with a 21 year old grand master.

rframe

Green Belt
Reaction score
Without it, you end up LARPing....

Haha, even from an inexperienced point of view, fantasy "LARPing" seems to be a very large percentage of the martial arts "market", though rarely admitted.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Everyone is missing the single most important characteristic of a good martial artist. The ability to fart on command.

Because no one wants to train with Sensei Farty McSmellington in a hot sweaty dojo. So squeeze 'em out before you step into the dojo.

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Physically? Footwork. Placing yourself in a superior position is the key to victory and you can't move to a better position if you stand still and flail.

Other than that I think Open mindedness and listening and what the others have said pretty much hits the nail on the head. Something people forget about when it comes to studying martial arts is the actual studying too. One must look at what he is doing, the purpose of movements, the lessons and principles behind them, how the grow and evolve, and what it teaches you about yourself.

Madcity

White Belt
Reaction score
Living the martial way…

That’s the one I want to go with, and the one I want to become disciplined enough to do. (and I have a LONG way to go… :))

Treating everything I do as some form of self discipline, self improvement or challenge to rise to rather than just “doing” martial arts during the few hours a week I am at class.

For me I think this is a good place to start.

Latest Discussions