Fighting stances

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Which stance do you prefer when you are actually going to fight for real?

Which one do you prefer when do competition and why?

Who here just automacticly jump into a stance before an altication?

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
never had to actually fight for real, so I can't tell you. But I would think that (assuming I would have the time to take the stance) I would have my weight fairly balanced between my two feet, with my right slightly behind my left foot. I would have my hands up near my face but open and loose. I think because I like lots of open hand movements and because it looks less aggressive, so I can have the element of surprise. However, since I focus on being aware of my surroundings and listening to my gut, I am hopeful that I will never have to take a fighting stance.

When competing, I like right foot forward (I use a lot of quick front leg techniques) but am comfortable either way. And I would be on the balls of my feet with my arms/shoulders loose and hands a little low (both chest high). I think it t looks more intimidating to be more relaxed and non-caring, however if I find myself in a match where I think a head shot would be a possibility one hand will float up a tad ;) I never spar with my hands down at my sides though.

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
Lauren, you say you never spar with your hands down at your side? Interesting isn't it. I've been in fights and I do spar full contact and I do tend to spar with my hands down at my sides a lot, not all the time, but a lot. My beginning fighting stance is pretty much balanced with, are you ready, my hands down at my sides. It looks non aggressive and tends to give me an advantage when I do finally commit to doing something. Now, to everyone who says "oh no, this can't work". Well, having been in a few altercations, remember, I'm a biker and tend to hang out in kind of rough areas, all I can say is, so far, yes it does. I will admit that my innocent persona does tend to fool people and that does help too.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Sideways natural high stance. First, it keeps my midline and vital organs from being vulnerable. Second, it allows me to fire off a side kick should the need arise. However, never having been in a fight, I can't say that "this definitely works". I would also keep my hands up near my face to block if necessary.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't tend to assume a stance when I'm about to fight for real. It takes up precious tenths of a second when I could be doing something constructive (destructive?)

cflick

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well I haven't been in a actual fight since I have taken up taekwondo. But I would suppose that I would not really take up a formal stance if I came in to such an altercation.

Now in sparring I always start with a left foot forward "L" stance and tend to stick with the "L" stance with ALOT of switching from left L to right L.
My hands always start mid chest and then make adjustments after seeing where the opponent likes to kick!

YM: What is a Sideways natural high stance? Never heard a stance called as such. I'm guessing an L stance (or Back stance as I've also heard it called) as the torso is pointing the side.?.?.?

ackks10

Purple Belt
Reaction score
one that works best for me, whatever it is, it is:boing2:

myusername

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Personally, in a confrontation my main aim would be to de-esculate the aggressor if my risk assessment deemed there was room for it. Therefore, I wouldn't get into any fighting stances as that would antagonise an already aggressive individual. I would be standing with one foot slightly back so I'm not standing square on with the angry person and I would be keeping my palms open. The height of my palms would depend on the proximity of the aggressor, if they were close enough to strike me then they would be about chin height and if they were out of range I would drop them to waist height.

As for sparring, I'm quite new so only doing one touch at the moment so its always L stance.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the real deal -- if you're really lucky, you'll be in something half-way approximating a posture of readiness because you perceived the situation building. More often -- you'll be caught flat-flooted, and unprepared. That's why my fighting stance is built from how I walk.

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Lauren, you say you never spar with your hands down at your side? Interesting isn't it. I've been in fights and I do spar full contact and I do tend to spar with my hands down at my sides a lot, not all the time, but a lot. My beginning fighting stance is pretty much balanced with, are you ready, my hands down at my sides. It looks non aggressive and tends to give me an advantage when I do finally commit to doing something. Now, to everyone who says "oh no, this can't work". Well, having been in a few altercations, remember, I'm a biker and tend to hang out in kind of rough areas, all I can say is, so far, yes it does. I will admit that my innocent persona does tend to fool people and that does help too.

That is interesting that it works out for you, and I am sure you have the stories to back it up! Maybe I'll have to try it...
Being a girl
icon11.gif
I don't plan on hanging out in any "rough areas" so I figure when I feel the need to defend myself, that need is going to be NOW! and my hands are going to be up and ready to grab, scratch, pinch, pull and pummel! However, I think that as a man being able to fight with your hands down is smart. It seems men (don't take offense!) do a lot of posturing before a fight and a fight can either begin or be diverted depending on the reaction. If you can act like you don't want to fight (because I am sure you all don't!) by keeping your hands completely down, but still be able to defend yourself from that position without ever looking like you are instigating a fight, seems like that would be a worthwhile skill to have. Wonder how it would help you should someone get the police involved and witnesses be called in. The innocent you look the better (as I am sure everyone here would be the "innocent" victim in a fight, regardless that the other guy ended up on the floor).

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Personally, in a confrontation my main aim would be to de-esculate the aggressor if my risk assessment deemed there was room for it.

There's a time to talk and a time to fight. The original correspondent specified that it was time to fight. How would you hold yourself under those circumstances?

myusername

Brown Belt
Reaction score
There's a time to talk and a time to fight. The original correspondent specified that it was time to fight. How would you hold yourself under those circumstances?

Sorry, you are quite right Tellner, I would assume that I would still be using the same stance as in my original post as that is the position I automatically get into when confronted with aggression. If my attempts at de-esculation were to fail the position would provide my centre-line with some protection as I am sideways on and my hands would be in a position to deflect, push, breakaway or punch and I can throw a pretty fast powerful front kick from that position also.

In fact thinking about it some more, my positioning when using de-esculation isn't that much different from an L-stance fighting postion, it is only the distribution of weight and open palms that are different.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
A natural sideways high stance would be like facing to the front with your body straight but relaxed and your feet together (kind of like attention, but not quite so rigid).
Now turn your body so that the opponent is on the side as opposed to directly in front of you, and keep your hands in the vicinity of your head. That would be natural sideways stance. I'm not sure if it even qualifies as a stance, which maybe is the point-to not be obvious.
Another advantage: the only way an opponent can contact you from this position is to execute a technique that comes around (i.e. roundhouse), which means now you know he practices a martial art. If you face him straight on, he can do just about anything and contact you whether he practices a martial art or not.

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I tend to fall into a left foot forward back stance all of the time when I'm in a bar or any other place where I'm not surrounded by friends and family. So, I'm not in a back stance when I'm in the kitchen on Thanksgiving :lol: However, if I'm out, I'm always in a stance and ready to go. Having played in bar bands for 20 years I no longer have faith in the sanity or decision making ability of the general public :D

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
Lauren, try starting all your matches from a balanced full face forward ready stance, not fighting stance, with your hands down at your sides. You will be surprised how fast you learn how to come out of this stance into your normal fighting stance and you will also find that your hand technique speed, whether offensive or defensive will improve also. You might get smacked a few times learning this but it does work.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Which stance do you prefer when you are actually going to fight for real?

Which one do you prefer when do competition and why?

Who here just automacticly jump into a stance before an altication?

I began in hapkido, judo, and wrestling so I would say an evenly weight distributed foot stance.....hands up high. (Nose and jaw protection.)

Same answer for #2

For #3, I am always ready to bust into a lock or throw, cane technique. I can use my legs, but staying on the ground and no spinning so the hapkido kicks only of Twist, Front Upraising, Inverted Twist, Sythe, and Front Leg Wheel Kick.

However, I am always ready to use my 2 inch thick heart wood oak cane.
icon14.gif

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My boxing & kickboxing background has drilled into me the need to keep my hands up. I do drop my hands when I spar my students, sometimes. Sometimes to draw them in (older, more experienced students) & sometimes to give them a target (younger, less comfortable students).

Matt, I like your cane idea. I know it's a more practical item for you, but I just pity the fool who wants to take your wallet.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score

My boxing & kickboxing background has drilled into me the need to keep my hands up. I do drop my hands when I spar my students, sometimes. Sometimes to draw them in (older, more experienced students) & sometimes to give them a target (younger, less comfortable students).

Yeah, I spent some time doing some MMA style training and once you get used to shielding against that hard shot to the face, it tends to stick with you.

I don't have a fighting stance as I've fortunately never been in a fight. My sparring stance is fairly unorthodox for taekwondo because I picked it up from an instructor who did a mix of Hapkido, Muy Thai, Taekwondo and others...

cy1982

White Belt
Reaction score
in dojo;
when i used to train in 97 there was a lot of hands up and elbow protecting vital, and it was still the concept of evading, but blocking and letting the opponnent take the pain. (this depended on your opponent power obviously not to break your arm) highly effective, as a good block would hurt your opponent tremendously, also very dangerous, as if the kick is strong enough, you can end up with a very nasty injury, im sure most people who recieved a elbow in the front of your feet knows what i am talking about.

now its the hands down mainly, the reasons are many and different, a big debate.

in street from my experience when i used to hang out with wrong crowd(98~02);
Standard:
I used to keep my elbow near my side to protect from rib shots, and hand near head, but not directly in front(my right hand is slighty more in front than left) this protects from the punches that I call looser punches, basically a punch where they swing left and rightand its wide and slow using no hip motion whatsoever and very weak(and actually doesnt hurt, but still your head is important, it looks like they are trying to hug you actually).
kept my legs slighty bent by the ankle to root yourself slighty from loosing any balance(steet = many grab attempts, falling can really end it) keep your legs slighty relaxed. and keep in mind, there might be a kick or tackle for your leg attempt.

Just keep in mind, you need to adapt in a street fighting situation, because its UNPREDICITABLE, you might have a lousy drunk that you dont even need a stance and can preform a beautiful 360 roundhouse(I never would do this personally, unless I am EXTREMELY confident on the fight), or it can be a everyday thug that will just rush into you or grab your leg while you do a normal roundhouse and pin you down and pound you with rib punches.
Also, if its a SURE thing it will be a fight, there is NO Cheap move(and the more dangerous the situation, the more "effective a cheap" moves are better), and remeber the kneeing and elbowing moves from poomse, they work real effective in a real situation, the unused front kick from sparring is great(KISS, keep it simple stupid) this really where a basic kick shines.

Either way, most fight ends up grappeling imo, if 1-1, even that was pretty rare from my past, when you beat the guy you had to worry about 2-3 or more people. Thats what I hated about that life. (Also the fact that I realised that it wasnt the best life path if I wanted to live old and out a of prison)

Hawke

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Spar - depends if I have sparred with them before, but usually side with left or right foot in front with elbows tucked in and fists up usually pointing at them.

Real - square off with one foot slightly in front arms up and palms open. I prefer to keep my distance so he has to commit by coming in. If we are already close I go on the offensive.

Personally I believe it's wise to practice your stance in a natural stance where you are flatfooted. There are times when the fight escalates and you have a very good idea that the fight is imminent, but there may be times when you will be caught totally by surprise.

In my limited experience I only see Aikido, Kenpo and Bujinkan actually apply techniques from this natural stance, but I am sure their are plenty of other MA styles that practice from this stance as well.

Latest Discussions