Fighting stances

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
In my limited experience I only see Aikido, Kenpo and Bujinkan actually apply techniques from this natural stance, but I am sure their are plenty of other MA styles that practice from this stance as well.

I've seen a fair number which do including Silat, Systema, ROSS, Krav Maga, Bo Fung Do and a number of RBSD schools.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Another reason we practice a high sideways stance is so that the aggressor would have a much harder time kicking you in the groin or attacking your stomach.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Does one foot on the ground, other foot firmly planted in their lower gut count as a "stance?" :D ;)

MikeSlisher

White Belt
Reaction score
Well, I've never been in a real fight, but after spending a number of years as a Reserve Deputy, I've been "close" a number of times.

I tend to favor a "bladed" stance, most likely due to my background and training with firearms. Since I'm right handed that means left side forward. Body is turned clockwise from a full face forward position. Feet are comfortably about shoulder-width apart and around 150 degrees clockwise (visualize 12:00 to 6:00 as being 180 degrees). Lead foot is pointed to around the 1:00 position, back foot pointed to around 2:30. Weight is slightly back foot weighted, but I emphasize slightly. Torso is torqued a bit further clockwise than the feet. Right elbow is down (protecting gun) and hand is around waist height. Front hand is slightly elevated, and in motion if possible. Both hands open. Body tension should be relaxed but ready. Weight slightly onto balls of feet. Look open and non-threatening.

I am no longer LE, but still carry a handgun. For those of us who do so, control of the weapon is extremely important.

Kind of OT, but how many of you are aware of Cooper's Color Codes of Awareness and how they apply?

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
I tend to favor a "bladed" stance, most likely due to my background and training with firearms. Since I'm right handed that means left side forward.
It's always a good idea to keep weapon retention in mind. You might want to consider taking your training a little further. The threat is not always standing in front of you. There might be other guys. If they're not all standing one behind the other where is "front"? How do you keep your "bladed stance" during the chaos of a fight when people are moving around? Other than keeping your body between your supposedly single opponent and the weapon how do you protect your sidearm?

Any planned practiced response is better than nothing. It's never a bad idea to "think outside the Academy" and prepare for things going wahoonie-shaped.

Every experienced officer will tell you that all fights go exactly the way they were trained. The bad guy never does what he's not supposed to. And techniques work first time every time. And purple simians might perform aerobatic ex-colonic maneuvers :wink:

Kind of OT, but how many of you are aware of Cooper's Color Codes of Awareness and how they apply?
Aware enough to know that the late Colonel said many times that they weren't awareness. They were emotional preparation to use deadly force.

Latest Discussions