Fight Quest show

bs10927

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Wing Chun will be featured in Fight Quest on the Discovery channel. the boys Doug and Jimmy will be going to HK to train and fight.
Feb. 28. :bangahead:

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Didn't Fight Quest already go the china an learn Wing Chun before. I remember seeing an episode where they learn about the inch punch.

Didn't they already learn about WC or was the other Fight Quest show where they go all around the world to learn and fight other styles.

Wing Chun will be featured in Fight Quest on the Discovery channel. the boys Doug and Jimmy will be going to HK to train and fight.
Feb. 28. :bangahead:

OP
B

bs10927

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Didn't Fight Quest already go the china an learn Wing Chun before. I remember seeing an episode where they learn about the inch punch.

Didn't they already learn about WC or was the other Fight Quest show where they go all around the world to learn and fight other styles.

That was a different show called Human Weapon.

OP
B

bs10927

Orange Belt
Reaction score
it's listed as a new episode on the cable guide.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the clips.

I look forward to watching and taping this on February 28th.
icon14.gif

David Weatherly

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for posting. I didn't know that new episodes of the show were on the way!

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
lol@leung ting saying "you call me, Grand Master Leung Ting"

"now you bow to me"....lol

thanks for the youtube links!!!!

Beginner's Mind

White Belt
Reaction score
The sparring sessions were disappointing. The opponents showed very little Wing Chun, they were just flailing wildly and, worst of all, kept retreating to a long striking distance. It's they who should have lost on style...

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
The sparring sessions were disappointing. The opponents showed very little Wing Chun, they were just flailing wildly and, worst of all, kept retreating to a long striking distance. It's they who should have lost on style...

I totally agree with you man , at some stages Doug and Jimmy adhered more to the Wing Chun style than the students . Some of those opponents in the final fight were throwing just as many round punches as Doug and Jimmy and kept on backing off .

I think their guards were a bit too low at times as well which made them vulnerable to the jab , I expected a lot more speed and aggression down the centerline from the Wing Chun guys and getting in close for trapping .

I reckon they should have put the long haired guy against Doug or Jimmy at least he punched on the centerline and had a decent stance . Their opponents looked pretty young , maybe they weren't that experienced , I dunno . Definitely should have put the long haired guy in and I think we would have seen some skills being exhibited , he was fast and had very tidy hands in my opinion .

OP
B

bs10927

Orange Belt
Reaction score

ok. i haven't been doing wing chun for long but is it me or did the wing chun get thrown out the window? lol :lfao:
all they did was chain punch. and the chain punching was crappy. shoulders were moving, leaning forward. hands looked like they were going in circles like feet pedaling a bike. footwork was no good either. no root. no shifting. that's for the FQ guys AND THE STUDENTS. a hot mess i tell ya! lol

skinters

Blue Belt
Reaction score
and why is everytime they do something about wingchun over there ,they always go to lueng ting? it was the same in,mind,body and kick *** moves.

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
From an outside perspective, it looked like just regular girl boxing. Wild punches and swinging for the fences. No technique at all.
Now what you see in movies and youtube videos is a lot different than what happens in a real fight, I understand that. But is this WC is? It looked like all you need to know is chain punches and a front kick to succeed.

What I will say is that with EVERY art if a video clip doesn't made the art look good, everyone in that art will say "the people sucked". Anyone ever notice that? If it is 2 styles against each other for the style that loses it is always people from that losing art who will say, "that fighter sucked, I have seen way better"...lol.

Im not bashing anything nor anyone but I would like to see some folks in here show clips of their WC sparring sessions so I can have something to compare too. I would like to think this was a bad showing b/c the Sifu that taught the short guy seemed to have a lot of skill.

I will say that I did enjoy watching it though. Was better than the 3 minutes that Human Weapon TV show gave to WC.

I'm still LMAO@Leung Ting. "you call me Grand Master Leung Ting" "Now you bow to me" LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
From an outside perspective, it looked like just regular girl boxing. Wild punches and swinging for the fences. No technique at all.
Now what you see in movies and youtube videos is a lot different than what happens in a real fight, I understand that. But is this WC is? It looked like all you need to know is chain punches and a front kick to succeed.

What I will say is that with EVERY art if a video clip doesn't made the art look good, everyone in that art will say "the people sucked". Anyone ever notice that? If it is 2 styles against each other for the style that loses it is always people from that losing art who will say, "that fighter sucked, I have seen way better"...lol.

Im not bashing anything nor anyone but I would like to see some folks in here show clips of their WC sparring sessions so I can have something to compare too. I would like to think this was a bad showing b/c the Sifu that taught the short guy seemed to have a lot of skill.

I will say that I did enjoy watching it though. Was better than the 3 minutes that Human Weapon TV show gave to WC.

I'm still LMAO@Leung Ting. "you call me Grand Master Leung Ting" "Now you bow to me" LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!

They did suck , as a former instructor these things caught my eye.

Too high in the stance , thats even if they had a stance.
Back not kept straight.
Chain punching way to slow and as someone else mentioned very circular.
Sometimes the punches werent even on the centerline .
An experienced and well trained practitioners punches are like two pistons.
They had their guard too low , hard to stop a fast punch to the face with your hands too low , and some of them even started to stand side on with their hands in a quasi boxing guard.

Another thing they did is they didn't press the attack , they should have drilled straight through those guys centerlines but they didn't.

They seemed to stay at Doug and Jimmys boxing range where they got picked off by long range punches , something to be wary of is that a boxer will have a reach advantage because he is in a side on stance which makes it even more crucial to get in very close and keep up the pressure on the centerline with nice fast , and tidy chain punches .

It seems to me that they weren't experienced , theres just some things you don't forget like your stance , and how to punch properly and if you have done years of chi sau you have an irresistable urge to get in very close range where you can bring your weapons to bear .

I think they should have went to a Wong Shun Leung school or a couple of the others, I think they may have got more of run for their money

skinters

Blue Belt
Reaction score
thats why i mentioned why leung ting.

would have been a lot better under say wan kam leung,a student of the late WSL.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
thats why i mentioned why leung ting.

would have been a lot better under say wan kam leung,a student of the late WSL.

Now let's not get all bogged down into sectarian bickering over a TV show for godsake! I understand your frustration over the sloppy performance of the WC/WT students. But who were they anyway? Were they junior students? They certainly weren't high level instructors. And were they told to hold back a bit to let the gwai-lo (Doug and Jimmy) look good for the camera? I don't know. I do know that Leung Ting has produced some awesome fighters around the world. And he also is a world class self-promoter. So that's probably how the F.Q. producers linked up with him. Now I don't know anything about the other WC Sifu that they went to, except I liked what a saw. And, in spite of all the nitpicking, I thought the show presented WC/WT in a pretty good light. I enjoyed watching it. Oh well, crucify me for being positive.

BTW you can call me "Grandmaster Geezer", now bow to me! (I almost snorted my drink out through my nose when I heard that stuff, Ace --and that was Leung Ting trying to be modest! Chortle, Chortle, snort, cough.)