Fight Quest

Explorer

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Watched the Kyukoshin (sp) episode. Not very impressed with the main characters fighting skills. By the looks of it, neither were some of their opponents who were throwing spinning kicks right and left (please excuse the pun). The only times I ever through spinning kicks in bare knuckles fights was when I knew my opponent wasn't up to standard.

I'm also curious about the kumite. The fighters look funny to me ... since no one can punch to the face they keep their hands low ... I guess to attack the body more quickly. I'd really be concerned about their safety in a real confrontation since street fighters tend to be head hunters.

On the other hand, if it helps spread the word about serious martial arts, I'm happy to support it.

Best Wishes,

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Watched the Kyukoshin (sp) episode. Not very impressed with the main characters fighting skills. By the looks of it, neither were some of their opponents who were throwing spinning kicks right and left (please excuse the pun). The only times I ever through spinning kicks in bare knuckles fights was when I knew my opponent wasn't up to standard.
Me too, but "no take-downs" changes things.

I'm also curious about the kumite. The fighters look funny to me ... since no one can punch to the face they keep their hands low ... I guess to attack the body more quickly. I'd really be concerned about their safety in a real confrontation since street fighters tend to be head hunters.

True, true. As we know, you fight how you train. I love how these "pro mma-style" folks say "oh, like mma-ers can't fight dirty, idiot!" or "street fights are different than the ring, no duh", & yet they practically NEVER train for non-sport conditions or scenarios. We all know it's about muscle memory, but the "appropriate response" spontaneity that comes from real training takes years to achieve. If you train to not get hit in the head, even during contact and "kumite", you're gonna catch it big time.
HOWEVER, these kyokushin guys seem to have great high kicks, with power. They must be tough enough, but hands are so much faster. Not everyone's Bill Wallace.

Explorer

Blue Belt
Reaction score
One interesting note is that when two fighters square off in the octagon ... (I'll leave the discussion of exactly how one squares off in an octagon to another thread) ...

When two fighters square off, both are doing so with full knowledge and intent to fight. They have both consented well in advance of their contest. On the other hand in self defense scenarios there is often only one person with the intent to fight ... the other often doesn't even recognize that he's about to be in a fight until the first shove to the chest and then they're in too deep and have few avenues left to use.

At my age (and with my injuries from all of the years of rough play) I wouldn't square off with any MMA fighter in the ring. Sucker punching 'em, attacking from behind with a weapon or attacking with multiple partners is within the realm of possibility and closer to the actual truth of fighting for self defense.

Latest Discussions