WC clips.

skinters

Blue Belt
Reaction score
i found these homemade clips,you might find of interest.both from a good chunner in the uk.one of the reasons i like this guys wingchun,is he comes through with some good common sense.i aslo find clips like this more helpfull,than ones that dont explain the reasoning behind the technques,in a down to earth kind of way,in which we can all relate to.most of you have maybe seen these,but was thinking of an idea of everyone posting clips like this,and maybe discuss them as we go.i know there is a sticky of clips on the forum but was hoping to try something a bit different.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZWbWAP6hrs&feature=channel_page

Last edited by a moderator:

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
...i like this guys wingchun,is he comes through with some good common sense.i aslo find clips like this more helpfull,than ones that dont explain the reasoning behind the technques,in a down to earth kind of way,in which we can all relate to...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZWbWAP6hrs&feature=channel_page

Thanks for sharing this. You know if we WC/WT/VT people could look for all the common sense ideas we share rather than bicker over our differences, we'd all benefit. Please, keep those clips coming.

paulus

Orange Belt
Reaction score
hahahaha you swear they twins.

what you think of the wingchun ?
I like what he says about the ineffective chain punching, it’s an observation my sifu has made in class too. I noticed that he seemed to be leaning back in his juen ma drills and that’s something we don’t do – although I’ve seen others doing it. Maybe it’s a style thing. He’s very precise though, which I like. His carpet’s not going to last long if he keeps training there!

OP
skinters

skinters

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing this. You know if we WC/WT/VT people could look for all the common sense ideas we share rather than bicker over our differences, we'd all benefit. Please, keep those clips coming.

cheers m8.

thats what i like about clips like this, there is no hollywood style production advertising any kind of lineage or school.he freely offers any knowlegde he has,in a down to eath way.

OP
skinters

skinters

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I like what he says about the ineffective chain punching, it’s an observation my sifu has made in class too. I noticed that he seemed to be leaning back in his juen ma drills and that’s something we don’t do – although I’ve seen others doing it. Maybe it’s a style thing. He’s very precise though, which I like. His carpet’s not going to last long if he keeps training there!

cheers paulus.

aye all that machine gun rubbish.i remember watching this guy doing those juen ma drills,and thought i would never match being that fluid,but his advice on making the drills less tick tock and more flowing,made a good impression on me .

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
That was great stuff , apart from the leaning back when he pivots , which is just a lineage thing . But the rest of it I couldn't find any fault in it at all , I found myself in agreement with everything he said .

His Wing Chun is very direct and to the point , economical of movement and theoretically sound .

Thanks for digging those up Skinters , what we need is more skillful and knowledgeable guys like that putting stuff up on the web and less of the posers and nobheads polluting youtube with their fancy inefficient drivel.

OP
skinters

skinters

Blue Belt
Reaction score
right this is another homemade offering,and want to note,that the title can maybe start one of those versus debates,which i hope to look beyond.

this is a spar session where the chunner executes some nice interceptions of kicks presumably aimed at the head.

you can pick up on the chunners overall technique if you like,but what i found of interest was a good show of economy of movement,and timing.the interception at 1:35,notable.

paulus

Orange Belt
Reaction score
He looks good. I was surprised at how low his hands were throughout that session. I think I would have felt a bit exposed in his shoes. He was very quick though and I also agree about the economy of movement.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Clearly the Wing Chun guy was the Alpha male in that particular encounter. He controlled the distance and space where he wanted to be and hit pretty much at will. The kick boxer looked out of his realm and really was trying to rely on kicking with absolutely no hand techniques.

Paulus you are correct in that the WC guy did have his hands low. Still with the ineptitude of the kickboxer it did not matter.
icon6.gif

OP
skinters

skinters

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Clearly the Wing Chun guy was the Alpha male in that particular encounter. He controlled the distance and space where he wanted to be and hit pretty much at will. The kick boxer looked out of his realm and really was trying to rely on kicking with absolutely no hand techniques.

Paulus you are correct in that the WC guy did have his hands low. Still with the ineptitude of the kickboxer it did not matter.
icon6.gif

thanks for watching brian.

you right about the kick boxer,although i have seen a lot worse.

the purpose of these clips,was to show if possible good form and technique from a wing chun perspective.ill be honest with you there is not a lot of it out there,and 90% is for want of a better word crap poor.

so although this particular clip shows a kickboxer,it could be a grizzly bear he was sparring with.i dont want it to be a case of well the kick boxer didnt give a good show .i was hoping to show some decent clips as i see it of some decent wingchun.

OP
skinters

skinters

Blue Belt
Reaction score
you know if i spent as much time training as i do sat in front of this thing id be incredible haha.

right last one for a bit.i remember the first time i watched this,and didnt really care who it was but,what i liked about it was for me,a really good sparring session,and to be honest i was quite suprised of the intensity of it.

so take a look, forget who it is,be interesting to see what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJfguxnlCqA&feature=PlayList&p=F4B2798571677577&playnext=1&index=42

graychuan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Clearly the Wing Chun guy was the Alpha male in that particular encounter...
icon6.gif

I completely agree with all of you about the hands being low but may I offer one idea...that the low hands were actually just a combative ploy to goad the KBXER to bridging distance. Make the other guy do all the work. As good and complete as the Chunner's skills looked I would not be surprised if it was exactly this. I admit I am reaching a bit but I only bring up the case because my Sifu trains our group in these type of ploys.

In the earlier clip at about 32-33 seconds in the Chunner stops a high round kick with a bong-sao :eye-popping:. Did anyone notice that?!?

David Weatherly

Black Belt
Reaction score
I completely agree with all of you about the hands being low but may I offer one idea...that the low hands were actually just a combative ploy to goad the KBXER to bridging distance. Make the other guy do all the work. As good and complete as the Chunner's skills looked I would not be surprised if it was exactly this. I admit I am reaching a bit but I only bring up the case because my Sifu trains our group in these type of ploys.

That's an interesting possibility here and may be the tactic he was emplyoing. Either way, nice clip. Thanks for posting it.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
I reckon he just knew he would jam every kick that guy threw at him , and just couldn't be bothered holding his hands up because he didn't have to.
Sort of like one of my instructor's who used to spar us with one of his hands behind his back versus our two hands and would still beat us.

But I agree with you Skinters , he could have been sparring someone a lot better at kickboxing but he still would have used the same defences and I think the result would have been much the same . The Wing Chun guy was sharp and had good reflexes and was just waiting for the slightest twitch of the shoulder before launching an attack.

It is very hard to beat someone who is not only quick but attacks you down the centerline as soon as you move , because as we all know , there is a reason we attack on the centerline and that is because it is the quickest and the most direct path.

OP
skinters

skinters

Blue Belt
Reaction score

In the earlier clip at about 32-33 seconds in the Chunner stops a high round kick with a bong-sao :eye-popping:. Did anyone notice that?!?

yeah noticed the bongsao.although we all now through practice and sparring that the techniques work,its good to watch things like this and SEE them working.

as for using the ploy of dropping the hands,one of the things i kinda put to memory was the technique of dropping the lead hand say to expose a clear shot to the face,therefore DRAW a response.

to use this kind of fight stratergy demands a lot of skill and confidence imo.

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i found these homemade clips,you might find of interest.both from a good chunner in the uk.one of the reasons i like this guys wingchun,is he comes through with some good common sense.i aslo find clips like this more helpfull,than ones that dont explain the reasoning behind the technques,in a down to earth kind of way,in which we can all relate to.most of you have maybe seen these,but was thinking of an idea of everyone posting clips like this,and maybe discuss them as we go.i know there is a sticky of clips on the forum but was hoping to try something a bit different.

I had no idea about the subtle technique that he showed with the chain punch. It now makes me look at how I do chain punches to make sure that I am doing it correctly.

Has everyone else been taught to do their chain punches this way? Thank goodness I am a beginner so it won't be hard to correct this.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
I had no idea about the subtle technique that he showed with the chain punch. It now makes me look at how I do chain punches to make sure that I am doing it correctly.

Has everyone else been taught to do their chain punches this way? Thank goodness I am a beginner so it won't be hard to correct this.

We were always taught to drive them out through the elbow , its just a natural by product of trying to use your elbow force to penetrate right through the pad or wall bag . Always extend your punches right out , some people might say it damages your joints , but thats bull .

I've been punching like this for 20 years and my elbow joints are fine . One common mistake I see with beginners is that they punch in a circular fashion which leads to a hammering type of action where they scrape their knuckles down the pad instead of using their elbows to drive through the pad.

If you want to develop a good action stand in front of the mirror and punch out slowly with one hand at solar plexus height , when it reaches full extension drop it down about a inch and a half to 2 inches .

Then retract the hand and let the other hand pass over the top of the retracting hand . Let the edge of the hand going forward lightly scrape along the top of the thumb so it makes a noise . Its like you are trying to cut the top of your own thumb off where it joins the hand , with the bottom edge of your top hand .

Eventually with practice you will be able to go faster and faster and your hands wont make contact anymore and your punches will be nice and linear and piston like. Couple of points to remember is make sure your wrists are on the centerline , and only make the fist at the end then open the hand right up again and relax , do this at medium speed with perfect form .
Later on when you get pretty fast the hand only opens about halfway , also make sure each punch lands on the same spot, I use my ring fingers as a guide .

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
you know if i spent as much time training as i do sat in front of this thing id be incredible haha.

right last one for a bit.i remember the first time i watched this,and didnt really care who it was but,what i liked about it was for me,a really good sparring session,and to be honest i was quite suprised of the intensity of it.

so take a look, forget who it is,be interesting to see what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJfguxnlCqA&feature=PlayList&p=F4B2798571677577&playnext=1&index=42

It was a good sparring session and intense , but to be perfectly honest there seemed to be a bit of brute strength being used as well . Some thing else I noticed is the lack of being sunk down in the stance , I used to notice this in our school as well with the big guys .

If they were big and been there for a long time they would get very lazy in their stance and start standing straight up all the time and sometimes in chi sau they would even be leaning , and these were instructors I'm talking about too.

I think the reason is laziness and because they are big they can get away with it , being a small bloke I was always sunk down out of necessity , otherwise I would get thrown around and because I was an instructor I was conscious of setting a good example for lower grades who are always watching you .

Latest Discussions