Fight Quest - Discovery Channel

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
FIGHT QUEST - KAJUKENBO

Fight Quest will be a Discovery Channel prime time flagship program of the Spring and Summer of 2008, airing in 80 countries worldwide.
They will be filming a episode on Kajukenbo November 28 through December 6 , 2007. Doing the work for the Discovery network is North South Productions. A New York-based Producer of documentary series for most of the major cable channels.
In this series, two American martial art students, Jimmy Smith and Doug Anderson, travel the globe to investigate different schools of martial arts. From an intense form of stick fighting in the Philippines (Kali) to studying Muay Thai in Thailand. Jimmy and Doug immerse in each culture, learn about its history, train in their traditional martial art, and ultimately, test their skills and courage against a local fighter skilled in the art. The students enthusiastically embrace the teachings of their instructors and the traditional rituals of the cultures, while struggling to learn a fighting style that they will have to put into action after less than a week of training. They are along for their visceral, educational, and sometimes dangerous journey through the worlds most renowned and respected fight forms.

The students will be trained individually by a different "Master Trainer" at a training facility over approximately a week-long duration. At the end of the week, each of the students will go head to head in a fight with a few of the master's experienced students to see how much they've learned . During the week, the extremely respectful, curious, patient and hard-working students would be at the mercy of the instructors - following their every command, working and training on the same level as any of the others at the facility. Because the program will also be looking at the culture surrounding Kajukenbo - the instructors and others at the facility will introduce the students to special ceremonies, traditions of the martial art and customs, etc.

Grandmaster Charles Gaylord will head up this episode. He will also be one of the "Master Trainers" along with Prof. John Bono, putting one of the students through a week of Kajukenbo Training in the Hayward (Calif.)training facility.

Professor Greg Harper will also be one of the "Master Trainers" putting one of the students through a week of Kajukenbo Training in the San Jose (Calif.) training facility.

For more information on North South Productions and the show please visit the web site at www.northsouth.tv and click on Fight Quest.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very cool!! Thanks for posting this!! Looking forward to watching it!!!:ultracool

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Looks like good stuff. Any chance of a heads up by someone in the know when the airtime details are set? don't want to miss it, and don't watch much TV.

Jai

Black Belt
Reaction score
I saw human weapon a few times and thought it was "ok" but the hosts where idiots. I'm looking forward to watching this however, it has promise. Thanks for posting :D

KenG

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
the hosts in general were not the greatest but i enjoyed seeing a new format for a martial art show.. i believe the best one was escrima... i also saw a add for a second season of human weapon... im curious as to what styles they will visit this season...

OP
John Bishop

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here's the schedule for the first few shows. Looks like Discovery Channel wanted the show renamed "Warrior Quest".

Dec 15, 2:00 pm
(60 minutes)

Warrior Quest
Kali, Philippines

In this episode, our boys head to Manila to try their hands in the weapons-based Filipino art of Kali - one of the deadliest, most ancient fighting systems on earth.

Dec 15, 3:00 pm
(60 minutes)

Warrior Quest
Karate, Japan

Jimmy and Doug journey to Tokyo to learn the brutal bare-fisted fighting style known as Kyokushin Karate.

Dec 28, 10:00 pm
(60 minutes)

Warrior Quest
Special Forces Fight Style, Korea
TV-PG (LV)

Hapkido is Korea's gift to the world of martial arts and in this episode Jimmy and Doug learn the ins and outs of this deadly defensive art.

Dec 29, 2:00 am
(60 minutes)

Warrior Quest
Special Forces Fight Style, Korea
TV-PG (LV)

Hapkido is Korea's gift to the world of martial arts and in this episode Jimmy and Doug learn the ins and outs of this deadly defensive art.

Jan 04, 10:00 pm
(60 minutes)

Warrior Quest
Wushu, China

Our fighters head to China's legendary Songshan mountains to learn the mother of all martial arts: Kung Fu.

Jan 05, 2:00 am
(60 minutes)

Warrior Quest
Wushu, China

Our fighters head to China's legendary Songshan mountains to learn the mother of all martial arts: Kung Fu.

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-schedules/series.html?paid=1.14362.25384.31870.1

The Kajukenbo episode starts filming tomorrow, and will film thru tuesday. They have already filmed 9 shows, Kajukenbo will be the last show this first season. The episode is slated to be shown on Feb. 29.

BillW

White Belt
Reaction score
Tried the link the other day and I got the schedule. Tried again today and it looks like they took the episode schedule off site. Mayber they are updating it.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well here is hoping that it is a decent show!
icon6.gif

Loki

Black Belt
Reaction score
I participated in the shooting for the KM episode and got to hang out a lot with Doug. I know that the primary difference between the shows is that while Bill and Jason were mostly staged, Jimmy and Doug actually trained for several hours a day for an entire week.

Doug is a very quick learner, and he would often learn a technique and explain it to the camera immediately, even if he had just taken a beating.

I got the impression that it'll be like Human Weapon, only more realistic. Also looking forward to the show.

OP
John Bishop

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I participated in the shooting for the KM episode and got to hang out a lot with Doug. I know that the primary difference between the shows is that while Bill and Jason were mostly staged, Jimmy and Doug actually trained for several hours a day for an entire week.

Doug is a very quick learner, and he would often learn a technique and explain it to the camera immediately, even if he had just taken a beating.

I got the impression that it'll be like Human Weapon, only more realistic. Also looking forward to the show.

I can attest to that. I just back from San Jose after spending 2 days on the shooting. Doug's got spirit. He didn't think twice about trying anything that was thrown at him. Even when we had a fight night with guys fighting and ground pounding on the concrete floor of a tire repair shop, he had to try it for himself.

Loki: Doug really spoke highly of the Krav guys, and their realistic fighting style.

OP
John Bishop

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here's some pics:

Attachments

• $WQ.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 418
  • $WQ7.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 445