Nice picture!
icon6.gif

OP
John Bishop

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
John did you get to talk to them about any of the training they have recieved and what they tought of it? Which was the hardest and which was the easiest for them.

Not yesterday, but I did spend 3 days with Doug's group when they shot the Kajukenbo episode.
They basically shot the 10 shows over a period of 12 months. Doug had about 3-4 years of martial arts training up to blue belt level when they started the show.
But over the 12 months of filming the show they received some very intense training from the schools they were at; (in our case they shot over 40 hours of training to edit down to 42 minutes). And between shows they did a lot of intense training on their own, so they could take whatever training or beating the instructors threw their way.
When I saw Doug spar with our guys, he had some very good stand up skills. He looked like a muay thai/kickboxer type fighter. I was actually shocked when I watched the first show. His skills had improved so much from that time to the time I saw him.
Doug has a great attitude, and from what I heard from the other camp, so does Jimmy. Their friendly, respectful, and willing to do anything you ask.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to bump this up!! This show is airing on Feb 29th at 10pm!!! Looking forward to it!! :)

OP
John Bishop

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
From the Fight Quest Q&A section:

Q: As a practicing Kajukenbo'ist, I am curious as to your thoughts about our art. I know that each of you trained under GM Gaylord, and under someone under Sijo Emparado's method, and again, just curious as to your thoughts about Kajukenbo. Also, thanks to you and Discovery Channel for showing our art; it usually doesn't get the exposure that it deserves. Thanks again!
-- Native Warrior

A: It was hard to get a clear picture of Kajukenbo in the limited time we had to study it. To me Kaju is a VERY ambitious style, with lots of different elements to it (knives, sticks, hands, multiple attacker scenarios etc.). So technique-wise it was difficult to grasp. I worked with about five instructors at Master Gaylord's and each person seemed to have their own area of expertise, also many came from different martial arts backgrounds.
The techniques that really impressed me were the ones that were used against multiple attackers. By the end I felt confident taking on five to 10 guys at once, something I was certainly NOT used to before.
If you like Kaju, you will LOVE the final fight for this episode, it's one of the best!
-- Jimmy

A: Dude, I loved kajukenbo! I trained with Grandmaster Harper, who is undoubtedly one of the best trainers and coolest guys I've ever met. Kajukenbo, to me, has it all. It's a solid, well-rounded fighting style, practiced by some of the coolest guys on Earth. I'd be more than happy to train at a kaj gym again.
-- Doug

Here's a clip with Jimmy and Doug talking about the episode:

http://dsc.discovery.com/video/?pla...258627&lineupId=1373327738&titleId=1396495142

OP
John Bishop

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Preview of next weeks Kajukenbo episode:

Last edited by a moderator:

donald

Black Belt
Reaction score
Does this mean that they are exploring some of the martial systems popular in the U.S.? How would we like to see an episode dedicated to for starters, EPAK, Chun Kuk Do, The Joe Lewis System. I think that would be awemazing! Any FightQuest producers paying attention?

1stJohn1:9

OP
John Bishop

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Basically they have 4 criteria for picking systems.

(From Jimmy Smith)
"The keys to martial art we do on the show are these:
1. Is the style visual interesting?
2. Is there some kind of contact element we can use in the final fight?
3. Is the location where the style originated interesting historically or visually?
4. Is it remarkably different from any of the other styles we have done TO A NON-MARTIAL ARTIST?

We did a kung-fu episode, will the audience (of mostly non-martial artists) tune in to see us do another branch of kung-fu? That was part of the reason we didnt really go into the differences between different Kali/Arnis styles in Manilla, because to the audience its a guy hitting someone with a stick, the details aren't as important."

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Kaju episode is on tonight!! Looking forward to it!:ultracool:ultracool

OP
John Bishop

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So am I! I'm also kinda bummed it's the last one. Hopefully they have another season, I really enjoy this show.

Discovery Channel has ordered 3 more episodes, Thailand, India, and Cambodia. Hopefully they will lead into a 2nd season.

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Awesome! If I had a Kajukenbo studio, I'd raise tution 10% right now! I'm sure enrollment will increase.

Those Bull Rings reminded me of my Black Belt test. Ha, ha. I think the IKCA calls them Circles of Humiliation.

Very nice. Good showcase I think. The Kajukenbo community should be proud.

That was a great episode.
:asian:

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The episode looked very good. freaked my wife out a bit, "THAT"S what you guys do?!?", but very enjoyable.

Latest Discussions