Female instructor...

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, I will admit that in my style, we hit each other pretty hard, and a lunge or reverse punch to the centerline of the chest is very common. I cannot bring myself to punch a woman in the chest like I can a man. Fair enough, I admit it. Not sure how to work around that.

My instructor would pull you aside and say "That is not a woman, and you are not a man. You are both students" ;)

In fairness though...you don't want to punch a woman in the chest the way you punch a man. I mean this from a defensive prospect. The way some gangs are going these days, BG's are not just bad guys but some bad gals too. It is not unrealistic to think that one's potential perp (now or in the future) may be female.

Aim low and hit her in the sternum. Be sure about accuracy...not so much because of incidental contact, but because a blow deflected by her bra and/or her breasts isn't going to be anywhere near as effective.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would rather train with a hard *** woman than a half assed man. Really, my favorite training partners are tough ladies. If they can do well then I want to figure out what made them great at what they do. I can train with a muscle bound meat head anytime. However I would rather train with a lady that is smart in shape and has great skills.

In judo my favorite partners have been women, they just train harder. Not only that but my hardest working students have been female.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
My first karate teacher's mother was his instructor's instructor(I tried to make it simple) and that woman was awesome. She was brutal, but a very good instructor. And I would wager that she could hold her own with many a men(in the area of teaching and knowledge). Since that is what is needed with an instructor, teaching and the passing of knowledge.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When I started TKD, there were very few females at all - never mind female instructors. Today, things are different - being in a martial art is not nearly as uncommon for women as it was when I started in the 80s, and the number of female instructors has risen in response to the number of female students reaching a rank at which we can instruct.

In the end, I don't care about the gender, age, race, size, creed, religion or any other differentiating factor of the instructors I've worked with - only how well they teach. Given what it takes many female instructors to be accepted, they are often better (not always) because that is how they prove themselves in an area that is still dominated by men.... but that's changing as the proportion of female martial artists changes.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, after weeks of searching, I finally found a Krav-Maga school in my area, only to learn that the instructor is a female >.<. Now, I am not bashing females fighting capabilities or anything, but I honestly believe that in the area of fighting, men are much more dominant. I really don't want to get someone started on a sexism rant or anything, I just want to know if any of you have had training with a female and how it was compared to a man teacher.

I would not dismiss the teacher or school just because of gender. Just like just2kicku said, I also know a few female instructors that I'd pick over another male, to cover my back if the poop hit the fan.

Instead of viewing things from the standpoint that you'd be training under a female, view it just like you should view any teacher....do they know what they're doing, do they know the material, can they teach it, can they make it work. If you answer yes, then who cares what the sex of the teacher is, just train.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, after weeks of searching, I finally found a Krav-Maga school in my area, only to learn that the instructor is a female >.<. Now, I am not bashing females fighting capabilities or anything, but I honestly believe that in the area of fighting, men are much more dominant. I really don't want to get someone started on a sexism rant or anything, I just want to know if any of you have had training with a female and how it was compared to a man teacher.

Just to add onto my last post, let me say 2 words...Gina Carano. Female fighter who I'm more than sure could teach you a thing or two about fighting. If you had the chance to train under her, would you? Or would the fact that shes female steer you away?

Bottom line...the girl kicks some *** in her fights and yes, if I had a chance to train with her, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I worked a little with Julie Kedzie in Buffalo. I couldn't keep up! I worked with a female Isshin-ryu instructor who had a roundhouse kick like a Muay Thai fighter that really wore me down.

People are different. I will work with anyone who has a good attitude. When it comes time to roll, as a rule, I prefer a male partner...there are always exceptions, and I'm quite open-minded to them.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score

I've always trained under a woman instrcutor. My Taekwon-Do instructors are a married couple. He is a VII dan she is a V dan. They both have different approaches to training and teaching. Since you asked about female instructors I'll just concentrate on my experiences with her.

She has excellent technical knowledge, like he does, but she tends to emphasize it to a greater degree. Concentrates on exactly how to move each part of your body when performing a technique. Sparring with her was like fighting a surgeon; she would simply block everything and then pick you apart, seemingly at will. No opening? Don't worry, she'd get you to make one for her through feinting, dodging, counter attacking and foot work. Breaking also concentrated on using exact technique to demolish stacks of wood. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of times when she would tell me the technique was good but, "You're just not kicking hard enough," but by and large she emphasizes correct body mechanics to generate maximum power (and this is true in basics, sparring, and patterns, not just breaking).

One of the most "painful" experiences I had in Taekwon-Do was during a private lesson with my Master Instructor. We were going over IV dan patterns and he was giving me plenty to work on. Just when I thought I was making decent progress his wife walked in and started observing me. Then she started making comments about even more things I needed to change, as well as how the corrections her husband had made still needed improvement. The critiquing was painful, but a good pain. It made completely clear what I needed to work on and, what is more, exactly what I needed to do to make the necessary improvements.

She's definitely been around since the old school days, too. Started training in early 1971, IIRC. Started maybe 6 months after her husband did (he started in 1970).

It's a shame that she has some health problems now and so doesn't train as much as she used to. Some of the newer students don't know what they are missing.

Pax,

Chris

Aikicomp

Purple Belt
Reaction score
but I just feel that I would be alot more comfortable learning how to fight from a man than a woman.

That's kind of like saying I feel more comfortable learning Ju-Jitsu or Judo or Karate from a Japanese instructor rather than an American instructor because the Japanese created Ju-Jitsu. See where I'm going with this?

Michael

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm not gay or anything, but I just feel that I would be alot more comfortable learning how to fight from a man than a woman.

Then go train with a man.

A guy that can't check his issues at the dojo door does nothing but bring the rest of the class down and take away from the people that genuinely want to be there.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Do a search for Megumi Fujii on youtube. She is small, lightweight (compared to males) and could kick your, mine, and most people's asses on this forum. The fact that she happens to be female (and quite cute imo) is irrelevant.
Gender has nothing to do with teaching or fighting skills. Only if there is a difference in skill set can additional power make a difference. But in the case of the female krav maga instructor, it will be a long time before you reach that level. don't let your ego get in the way of learning.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
But in the case of the female krav maga instructor, it will be a long time before you reach that level.

Honestly, KM is new enough that there's still pretty good quality-control. A certified instructor likely has the skill, power, and aggressiveness to give anyone a tough time.

bowser666

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

I hate to say this man, but so far every post that originates from you has some extreme ignorance contained in. Do you actually proofread your posts and ask yourself , " How am I coming across in this post ? " Alot of the stuff you are posting is stuff that I would expect to hear from a 12 year old student. I mean maybe you are in that age bracket , or live in a sheltered lifestyle. I don't know. I would have hoped that after 27 posts and undoubtedly receiving an overwhelmingly negative response to the majority of your threads, you might revamp your thought process on posting here. Sadly it does not seem to have changed. I mean the only other possible explanation is that you are 100% clueless, so I hope at least you are getting some answers to fill in the many gaps you have.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What does being white have to do with it?
You mean you forgot about your generalizations about white people on one of your 'is kung fu a martial art thread'?

And yes, I have not a doubt in my mind that she could beat the living crap out of me, but I guess I should have rephrased my question.
Yes, and this wouldn't be the first time. Your kung fu thread came accross as racist. This one comes accross as sexist. Now there's a gay element. Please proof your posts before clicking submit reply.

To the male students out there who have trained with BOTH men and women instructors, did you feel uncomfortable learning from a female as opposed to a male? I'm not gay or anything, but I just feel that I would be alot more comfortable learning how to fight from a man than a woman.

To answer your question, this has been my experience: Men tend to be more visual in their approach. They perform the technique for the student and the weight of their instruction is on the visual performance of the technique. The techniques are reinforced in sparring, where the gents tend to more about using a good variety of techniques against the student, then says, 'try that' and allows the student to try the techniques in return.

The women tend to be more technical in their approach, not only showing the technique, but explaining the nuances that make the technique work properly more thoroughly and more often than the gents.

Now, I have had and currently have male instructors who are extremely technical, and my own teaching style focuses on technical and detail work. But each and every lady that I have trained under has been very technical and detail oriented.

I'm equally comfortable training with instructors of either gender.

Daniel

Guardian

Black Belt
Reaction score
My first Instructor was Female and I learned allot from her. She was quick and agile and one good Instructor. I found no difference in mind set or training regiments between the two genders. A good instructor is a good instructor, it's your mind that needs to understand that.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do a search for Megumi Fujii on youtube. She is small, lightweight (compared to males) and could kick your, mine, and most people's asses on this forum. The fact that she happens to be female (and quite cute imo) is irrelevant.
Gender has nothing to do with teaching or fighting skills. Only if there is a difference in skill set can additional power make a difference. But in the case of the female krav maga instructor, it will be a long time before you reach that level. don't let your ego get in the way of learning.

Absolutely, then do a search for Rosi Sexton and Lisa Higo.Lisa fought three girls in one night to become world champ. Btw Rosi has packed her bag, she's off to fight in America again!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7857217.stm

http://www.cagewarriors.com/article.242.htm

KELLYG

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Most of life's experiences are lessons taught by females. The have taught us from birth how to eat, dress, talk, play, and almost every other lesson from infancy till we are able to go out and experience the world on our own. I'm not saying the the men don't figure into the equation but most of the nurturing comes from the female figure. So the op does not have a problem learning from women. I bet that the op has a problem with women fighting and nothing you will say will change his mind.

I also would like to say that most women fighters have excellent technique. This is due to the fact that they will have to work on executing the technique properly. They can not rely as heavily on strength as there male counterpart would.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A very interesting point, KG :tup:.

I have never thought of putting forward that particular truth as an example of the flaw in their 'stance' for men who have 'issues' being taught by women.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score