Female instructor...

DoubleZ711

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well, after weeks of searching, I finally found a Krav-Maga school in my area, only to learn that the instructor is a female >.<. Now, I am not bashing females fighting capabilities or anything, but I honestly believe that in the area of fighting, men are much more dominant. I really don't want to get someone started on a sexism rant or anything, I just want to know if any of you have had training with a female and how it was compared to a man teacher.

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well, after weeks of searching, I finally found a Krav-Maga school in my area, only to learn that the instructor is a female >.<. Now, I am not bashing females fighting capabilities or anything, but I honestly believe that in the area of fighting, men are much more dominant. I really don't want to get someone started on a sexism rant or anything, I just want to know if any of you have had training with a female and how it was compared to a man teacher.

I've had excellent male instructors and excellent female instructors, and awful male instructors and awful female instructors.

Males are dominant in the instructors ranks because demographically they take martial arts at a much higher rate, and stay long enough to instruct at a much higher rate. It is a violent sport, and as such appeals more to men than women. But women who stay long enough to become instructors may have something worthwhile to offer.

Ultimately, it's like any other instructor/student relationship. Find out what she's teaching, and how she teaches it, and see if you have a good relationship. If you do, and she's offering something worthwhile, than it may be worth checking out.

Breasts don't make her a bad martial arts instructor, any more than a penis makes a man a good one. What's more important is what she's communicating, and how she's communicating it.

-Rob

just2kicku

Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

You have got to be joking! Let me guess, is she white too? I know females that would knock your teeth in and kick your *** above your eyes. I think you better get back on whatever medication you quit taking.

OP
D

DoubleZ711

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
You have got to be joking! Let me guess, is she white too? I know females that would knock your teeth in and kick your *** above your eyes. I think you better get back on whatever medication you quit taking.

What does being white have to do with it? And yes, I have not a doubt in my mind that she could beat the living crap out of me, but I guess I should have rephrased my question.

To the male students out there who have trained with BOTH men and women instructors, did you feel uncomfortable learning from a female as opposed to a male? I'm not gay or anything, but I just feel that I would be alot more comfortable learning how to fight from a man than a woman.

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What does being white have to do with it? And yes, I have not a doubt in my mind that she could beat the living crap out of me, but I guess I should have rephrased my question.

To the male students out there who have trained with BOTH men and women instructors, did you feel uncomfortable learning from a female as opposed to a male? I'm not gay or anything, but I just feel that I would be alot more comfortable learning how to fight from a man than a woman.

What does being gay have to do with it?

Look dude, you obviously have some issues with women. That's your business. If it's going to interfere with your training, whether your issues or founded or not doesn't matter. If you can't learn from her, for whatever reason, then it isn't the school for you. Move on and find one that is.

I've never had a problem learning from, training with, or teaching men or women. Because I don't see them as men or women, I see them as martial artists. We're all professionals. There's no need to get caught up in superficial distinctions.

Real quality reveals itself and doesn't require your validation.

-Rob

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I just feel that I would be alot more comfortable learning how to fight from a man than a woman.

I wanted to pull this out.

If you are really interested in learning how to fight, first and foremost, then it shouldn't matter whether it's a man, or a woman, or a robot that's teaching the class. What should matter is the quality of the information and the instructors ability to transmit it.

But like I said earlier, if it's gonna get in your way, ultimately it doesn't matter why. If you can't get over it, you need to get going.

-Rob

OP
D

DoubleZ711

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Okay thanks, I guess it won't really matter what gender the instructor is, just the knowledge that they can give.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This happened to me just Monday night...

We have different senseis on different nights - a lot depends on who shows up. Sometimes more senseis than students. All the senseis are expected to assist with training newbies like me.

I happened to be lined up to practice squat kicks (otoshi geri) in a line with one sensei - female. She is in her late 20's, dimunutive, and in very good physical condition. She is an EMT, as I recall.

She was standing behind me when I was kicking. She yelled for me to 'get your hands up' because I was not keeping my guard up while I kicked. I complied - or I thought I did.

A few seconds later, she yelled at me again to 'get your hands up'. At this time, I thought my hands were up - I could not see the bag, because my hands were in front of my face. I said over my shoulder 'they are up'! She said 'no, they're not, get them up'! So, I said, 'what do you want me to do, hold them over my head'? She said 'I want you to do what I tell you to do'.

Now, I am a newbie, and I do not have good form kicking, but I have very strong legs and I kick hard, so I was walloping the bag. She weighs, I am guessing, less than half what I weigh. When it came my turn to hold the bag and she kicked it, she was drilling holes in my head and hammering the bag with kicks that probably would have floored me - flat out. I mean, they were as strong as some of the kicks I've seen our biggest, fastest, meanest, sensei use. WHAM! Lightning fast, very controlled, and strong enough to rattle my cage holding the bag from a safe distance.

Somehow, I guessed that I had screwed up...

After class, I went over to her and apologized sincerely. I told her that I had been rude and disrespectful and said I was sorry. She was still mad, but she said "I appreciate that." I left it at that and went home.

Now, I realized that I made a mistake. She is a woman, but she is a high-dan black belt, dedicated to her art, does not get paid to teach, and she is deserving of the same respect I show the male senseis. In fact, it should not even be a question - what I did should never have happened. She is also, as she demonstrated, more than capable of kicking the crud out of me.

I also realized, upon reflection, that I've cracked wise with the male senseis on occasion in the same manner - and they didn't get mad at me. But it was still disrespectful of me - just because they didn't get mad, they certainly would have been right to do so.

And I also know that in her job, my sensei has to use her karate all the time. She is constantly being attacked or (worse) hit on by drunks and druggies, some of them strong, some of them out of control. She is good - she has to be. And I suspect that she gets disgusted with men in general - they see her as 'defenseless' or 'less than capable' of defending herself, and she has to prove that she can, over and over. So I suspect she might be a tad more sensitive to being insulted or disrepected than some guys. But that's as may be - it doesn't change what I did and make it right.

So I will try very hard not to be rude or disrespectful to her again, and I certainly respect her skills. I have no problems learning karate from a woman half my age and half my size. She has what it takes, and she is worthy of my respect. That is all that matters.

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Okay thanks, I guess it won't really matter what gender the instructor is, just the knowledge that they can give.

True, but that doesn't automatically mean she's going to be worth a darn as an instructor either.

Ultimately, as a beginner the most important thing in my mind is that you aren't getting hurt. You probably aren't going to become a badass overnight no matter what art you're learning. Over time, you can learn more and begin to make informed decisions about the quality of the instruction you're receiving. At first, if your instructor isn't negligently injuring you or asking you to do anything creepy, you're probably safe.

You may not find out right away whether or not she's any good as an instructor. Ask around, see what other student's think. As an instructor, I didn't mind if people asked my students their opinion. If she's confident in what she's doing, she shouldn't either.

-Rob

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
She was standing behind me when I was kicking. She yelled for me to 'get your hands up' because I was not keeping my guard up while I kicked. I complied - or I thought I did.

...So, I said, 'what do you want me to do, hold them over my head'? She said 'I want you to do what I tell you to do'.

You may also want to pull her aside and ask her to show you what you were doing wrong and how to correct it. I get the impression that wasn't covered that night.

Personally, her methods of instructing were never mine, but that's a matter of style, personality, and finding out what your customers desire.

-Rob

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

DoubleZ no I have trained with women and men and I feel the same, if they can teach me than it is great if not they are no use to me. I have been in MA for over forty years and have meet alot of well let say women that can beat the living crap out of you but could not teach those techs and vise versa, so you should be looking at if she is able to teach what you would like to learn.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Personally I don't care whether a person is female, male, gay, straight, young, old, this race, that race, or even whether they are able-bodied or handicapped. I trained for awhile under a fellow that had lost the use of an arm in an accident.

What does matter to me, is can they teach someone like me. I don't learn well visually, and have a very tough time watching and doing. I do a lot better with spoken words, or better yet someone willing to twist me in the right direction so I can feel how something is supposed to go. I also extremely analytical (like most engineers). Its a bloody waste of time for me to pay $100 bucks a month (or whatever) to have someone tell me to stop being so analytical. Instead I look for teachers that can help me maximize that ability/trait and use to my benefit, rather than whining about it.

I have very little tolerance for teachers that do not explain things very well. I have even less tolerance for teachers that are disrespectful, cannot maintain focus, and are not committed to giving all of their students a great class.

I'm 5' 2", 40, and in need of back surgery. Just about every martial arts teacher out there is bigger, tougher, and stronger than I am right about now. But, bigger, tougher, stronger does not always mean that they have the background and the ability to be worth my time and money.

Most of the female instructors that I have had (either as a student or as a guest) have been excellent. The ones that haven't - ironically enough - have been terrific fighters (war veterans) but they weren't the best fit for me, either because of their communication style or teaching style. Same with the men. Most have been excellent, the ones that haven't have been terrific fighters but not the best fit for me.

Most schools have some sort of introductory offer so you can try the school out for yourself. Give it a try and see if its a good fit for you. :asian:

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Strength isn't that much of an advantage in arnis, so it doesn't matter much.

I've known good and bad instructors of both genders but I must confess that I prefer to work with a fellow man, as a rule. Sorry, I know that isn't a popular opinion! I'm a relatively big guy and do tend to use my strength when I can and so I like to have someone I can bang on, and I'm somewhat old-fashioned and refer not to have to think about "incidental contact" issues. (Yes, I know a martial arts instructor of either gender will expect and accept that it's a contact sport, but I still think about it.) That's my preference.

But I've worked with well-qualified women where it hasn't been an issue at all! It depends.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've known good and bad instructors of both genders but I must confess that I prefer to work with a fellow man, as a rule.

Well, I will admit that in my style, we hit each other pretty hard, and a lunge or reverse punch to the centerline of the chest is very common. I cannot bring myself to punch a woman in the chest like I can a man. Fair enough, I admit it. Not sure how to work around that.

Now mostly, when we spar or practice self-defense with hitting and blocking, our ichi ban sensei pairs us up white belt with black belt, and big people with other big people. So that mostly keeps me from having to make the decision whether or not to hold back on a punch.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You may also want to pull her aside and ask her to show you what you were doing wrong and how to correct it. I get the impression that wasn't covered that night.

I believe that I should have stopped, turned around, addressed her respectfully, and asked her to demonstrate what she wanted. I talked to her over my shoulder. I believe I bear the burden of being out-of-line in this case.

just2kicku

Black Belt
Reaction score

If I seemed a little harsh, then my apologies.

As far as learning from a woman, like I said, Ive known some very tough women. I have trained with, sparred with and learned from women. Like Rob (thesemindz) said they're all MA'ist. If you do have a problem with that then look for something that you will be comfortable learning from that particular instructor.

If it's Krav Maga you're interested in, then watch the episode of Fight Quest on Krav Maga and that female instructor, I would love to train with her. Tough as they come and mean as hell!

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I believe that I should have stopped, turned around, addressed her respectfully, and asked her to demonstrate what she wanted. I talked to her over my shoulder. I believe I bear the burden of being out-of-line in this case.

From the way you've described the situation, you probably were out of line, although I would only say you were a little out of line.

But just as you bear the burden of being out of line, she bears the burden of instruction. It is her responsibility to teach you how to do it better, that's why you're both there.

Look, I don't want to dwell on this too much. I don't know you're instructor, and she probably wouldn't want some internet monkey commenting on her approach. It isn't mine, but that's fine, you aren't my student.

None the less, if you are doing something wrong, you need to ask somebody to show you how to do it right. That's really all I'm saying.

-Rob

astrobiologist

Brown Belt
Reaction score
As I type this, my father's wife is on the floor with our class teaching. She teaches well, maintains command and respect, and is usually able to get the information to the student without frustrating them. Also, she's one tough chick. I pitty the dude who's dumb enough to grab her on the street.

I've had good experiences and bad experiences with male and female instructors. Who cares about gender anymore? It's really not that important.

I'm not going to blast the OP for thinking the way they do. I will however say that I hope the responses so far can serve as an indication that you really have much more to consider when it comes to your training than the anatomy of your instructor.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I had a woman instructor for many years, and she was excellent. I don't believe that her being a woman resulted in my training suffering in any way.

Latest Discussions