Female instructor...

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Most of the good women instructors have an advantage in that they understand that they can't depend on strength, the have to depend on technique, since that's the case, they tend to have a better understanding of technique then their male peers. If they can transmit that understanding, they can make you better than you would have thought.

It's been said before, but I think it bears repeating. I've had good instructors and bad instructors of both genders. If you have an issue with a female instructor, I recommend you find a different place to train.

bowser666

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
:trollsign:trollsign:trollsign:trollsign:trollsign:trollsign:trollsign

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just did. Damn.

If I could choose (and was single instead of a married father of 2:D) I'd date Rosi. But it would a be a very close call between her and Megumi or Lisa :)

I shall pass your compliments onto Rosi and Lisa! The BBC has made a documentary on female fighters featuring both of them (and a little bit with me reffing) which is in the process of being edited now. I hope it will be shown on an American channel too!
Sorry for digression but in view of the OP didn't think people would mind lol!

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
This happened to me just Monday night...

We have different senseis on different nights - a lot depends on who shows up. Sometimes more senseis than students. All the senseis are expected to assist with training newbies like me.

I happened to be lined up to practice squat kicks (otoshi geri) in a line with one sensei - female. She is in her late 20's, dimunutive, and in very good physical condition. She is an EMT, as I recall.

She was standing behind me when I was kicking. She yelled for me to 'get your hands up' because I was not keeping my guard up while I kicked. I complied - or I thought I did.

A few seconds later, she yelled at me again to 'get your hands up'. At this time, I thought my hands were up - I could not see the bag, because my hands were in front of my face. I said over my shoulder 'they are up'! She said 'no, they're not, get them up'! So, I said, 'what do you want me to do, hold them over my head'? She said 'I want you to do what I tell you to do'.

Now, I am a newbie, and I do not have good form kicking, but I have very strong legs and I kick hard, so I was walloping the bag. She weighs, I am guessing, less than half what I weigh. When it came my turn to hold the bag and she kicked it, she was drilling holes in my head and hammering the bag with kicks that probably would have floored me - flat out. I mean, they were as strong as some of the kicks I've seen our biggest, fastest, meanest, sensei use. WHAM! Lightning fast, very controlled, and strong enough to rattle my cage holding the bag from a safe distance.

Somehow, I guessed that I had screwed up...

After class, I went over to her and apologized sincerely. I told her that I had been rude and disrespectful and said I was sorry. She was still mad, but she said "I appreciate that." I left it at that and went home.

Now, I realized that I made a mistake. She is a woman, but she is a high-dan black belt, dedicated to her art, does not get paid to teach, and she is deserving of the same respect I show the male senseis. In fact, it should not even be a question - what I did should never have happened. She is also, as she demonstrated, more than capable of kicking the crud out of me.

I also realized, upon reflection, that I've cracked wise with the male senseis on occasion in the same manner - and they didn't get mad at me. But it was still disrespectful of me - just because they didn't get mad, they certainly would have been right to do so.

And I also know that in her job, my sensei has to use her karate all the time. She is constantly being attacked or (worse) hit on by drunks and druggies, some of them strong, some of them out of control. She is good - she has to be. And I suspect that she gets disgusted with men in general - they see her as 'defenseless' or 'less than capable' of defending herself, and she has to prove that she can, over and over. So I suspect she might be a tad more sensitive to being insulted or disrepected than some guys. But that's as may be - it doesn't change what I did and make it right.

So I will try very hard not to be rude or disrespectful to her again, and I certainly respect her skills. I have no problems learning karate from a woman half my age and half my size. She has what it takes, and she is worthy of my respect. That is all that matters.
What you hit on is the REAL difference between women and men........and it isn't the skill level........it's the attitude. Women have a tendency to take offense from things that men wouldn't. Quite frankly that's the reason why I won't train with some women......if I wanted to have to be careful about everything I said, and constantly apologize to avoid hurt feelings, i'd go home to my wife.

Not all women are like that, though.......and i've met my share of men who are like that........but all told, 'Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus'. ;)

As far as the skill level of many women, it's just like men.......you have some that are great, and some that are crap.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
You may also want to pull her aside and ask her to show you what you were doing wrong and how to correct it. I get the impression that wasn't covered that night.

Personally, her methods of instructing were never mine, but that's a matter of style, personality, and finding out what your customers desire.

-Rob
Yeah, the 'You should KNOW what i'm thinking' method of instruction isn't real conducive to my view, either.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Strength isn't that much of an advantage in arnis, so it doesn't matter much.

I've known good and bad instructors of both genders but I must confess that I prefer to work with a fellow man, as a rule. Sorry, I know that isn't a popular opinion! I'm a relatively big guy and do tend to use my strength when I can and so I like to have someone I can bang on, and I'm somewhat old-fashioned and refer not to have to think about "incidental contact" issues. (Yes, I know a martial arts instructor of either gender will expect and accept that it's a contact sport, but I still think about it.) That's my preference.

But I've worked with well-qualified women where it hasn't been an issue at all! It depends.
Plus men don't seem to take offense as easily as many women........not all.......i've helped train a couple women in boxing who didn't take offense at anything, and who could take a punch like a champ, without it bothering them.

But I prefer to train with men.....they always tell you what they think, you can tell them what you think, and NEVER worry about hurting their feelings.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
I believe that I should have stopped, turned around, addressed her respectfully, and asked her to demonstrate what she wanted. I talked to her over my shoulder. I believe I bear the burden of being out-of-line in this case.
Honestly, I wouldn't go that far......i'm sure she's a treat to work with on the ambulance.

Some folks have skill, but ZERO tact or patience.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Most of life's experiences are lessons taught by females. The have taught us from birth how to eat, dress, talk, play, and almost every other lesson from infancy till we are able to go out and experience the world on our own. I'm not saying the the men don't figure into the equation but most of the nurturing comes from the female figure. So the op does not have a problem learning from women. I bet that the op has a problem with women fighting and nothing you will say will change his mind.

I also would like to say that most women fighters have excellent technique. This is due to the fact that they will have to work on executing the technique properly. They can not rely as heavily on strength as there male counterpart would.

That's a perfectly fair statement......many male fighters were born with the natural attributes required for fighting, heavy musculature, thick frontal bone, strong jaw, big hands, high levels of testosterone.....men are physically designed to a fight.....if a woman can fight, it's because she knows HOW! What gives some men the ability to fight really can't be taught.

Therefore, if a woman has honed the skills to be a competent fighter, it's best to listen to what she has to say if we're interested in doing the same.

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, after weeks of searching, I finally found a Krav-Maga school in my area, only to learn that the instructor is a female >.<. Now, I am not bashing females fighting capabilities or anything, but I honestly believe that in the area of fighting, men are much more dominant. I really don't want to get someone started on a sexism rant or anything, I just want to know if any of you have had training with a female and how it was compared to a man teacher.

My experience with female instructors (i have had 3 in kempo) is that they are smaller, weaker, and have something to prove in this male dominated arena...this has made them excellent tough hard assed teachers...and i benefitted greatly from being thier student.

Marlon

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, after weeks of searching, I finally found a Krav-Maga school in my area, only to learn that the instructor is a female >.<. Now, I am not bashing females fighting capabilities or anything, but I honestly believe that in the area of fighting, men are much more dominant. I really don't want to get someone started on a sexism rant or anything, I just want to know if any of you have had training with a female and how it was compared to a man teacher.

one of our Black belts is a woman, she is very very good. I would say that as far as instruction, there is no difference really. she teaches the same kata that any of the men teach, and I can tell you she is as knowledgeable as any of the other black belts who may be men. I think it is more a matter of is the instructor knowledgeable then what gender.

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I think the topic has been exhausted here. Clearly there is no reason why someone shouldn't consider learning from a female martial arts teacher. Sex doesn't matter, competantcy does. A warrior is a warrior regardless of race, sex, blah blah blah.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Truly good instructors of the arts are rare. If you train under one you are lucky and wether this person if male or female should not matter.

If your instructor is an idiot it would not be because of sex either would it?

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Another point...

Women who do very physical, combative/confrontational martial arts generally have it a bit harder for the obvious reasons. On average they're smaller, weaker, have less testosterone and need to deal with hostility and resistance from the lads. To prevail they needed to learn to deal with larger, stronger more aggressive opponents. That usually means their moves have to be just a little crisper, their distance, timing, sensitivity and lines just a touch cleaner than the people they're jamming with.

I'm not counting on getting attacked by people who are smaller, weaker, less aggressive and worse-trained than I. Learning from someone who has spent her entire martial arts career on the other end can be a plus.

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Bottom line? If you don't think you can learn from a woman, then find another instructor.

bowser666

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
AS has been stated, if the instructor is a quality teacher it doesn't matter at all. If they are male , female, black , white, Islamic, Catholic, etc............... If you are too busy worrying about those things , then you are not really there to train for the sake of training. Prejudices should be left outside the kwoon, dojo, etc......... They are signs of a limited mind in my book.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Funny you mention Gina,

Last Saturday my better half was watching strikeforce with me and when the showed Gina the first time my wife said "Wow she is pretty."

I told her that she(Gina) was a great fighter, the wife replied "Must be she doesn't even have blemishes."

Just to add onto my last post, let me say 2 words...Gina Carano. Female fighter who I'm more than sure could teach you a thing or two about fighting. If you had the chance to train under her, would you? Or would the fact that shes female steer you away?

Bottom line...the girl kicks some *** in her fights and yes, if I had a chance to train with her, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Ronin74

Brown Belt
Reaction score
AS has been stated, if the instructor is a quality teacher it doesn't matter at all. If they are male , female, black , white, Islamic, Catholic, etc............... If you are too busy worrying about those things , then you are not really there to train for the sake of training. Prejudices should be left outside the kwoon, dojo, etc......... They are signs of a limited mind in my book.
Not just your book either.

Great training comes from great teachers. Once people start putting a spin on it based on religion, ethnicity, or gender, they tarnish the art with their prejudices.

Latest Discussions