Favourite Haymaker Defence.

gilgsn

White Belt
Reaction score
Here's my favorite: The haymaker comes, you step slightly backwards, as your opposite arm comes up in a circle for the inside of your elbow to meet the inside of his. You continue the circle with your arm, redirecting his arm down as you step behind him. If you're close enough, you can easily grab his throat with your hand from your same arm. Now you're totally behind him, he's on his knees with his arm is painfully locked. You're still holding your glass from your other hand ;-)

Gil.

Guardian

Black Belt
Reaction score
A lot of good responses.

Best way for me was to simply to step in block and elbow the individual to the face and move out alert for friends (usually not alone) or step in block and take the knee out immediately and move out, can't walk, can't fight effectively.

I believe in the KISS methods.

ME1

White Belt
Reaction score
In the past, if I see the fight escalating, I am usually ready for the haymaker. Most of the time I tend to surge forward if I am ready with one hand raised to block the haymaker as far back as possible and the other giving the "lunch punch" just below brest bone. that punch usually hits hard because my body is moving forward behind it. I guess I just lack the fancy stuff?

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I like a stop hit to the upper lip with a slip in the same motion to avoid or roll with the punch, followed up by whatever technique(s) my reflexes go with based on the effect it has on the agressor.

scarphe

White Belt
Reaction score
having never beeen in the said situation my defence would be based upon my training.
Block
grap
then break

the finall step could change as depending on the attacker it might be easier to put him out of the fight in another way, proabaly eyes or throat.
but in a pub i think one has three factor two consider the attacker´s friends and the possibility of weapons, and alchohol. though the group with whom the attacker came with may carry weapons in a pub weapons are easy to find or make and with alchohol in the mix the judgement is off so one just might use one.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
The last two times that happened to me I kept it simple:
  1. Jab. Cross. Uppercut.
  2. Caught him on the preparation and came in with a let vertical elbow to the hollow of the shoulder. The arm didn't work so well after that. He was easy to take down.

HG1

Blue Belt
Reaction score
**EDIT**Hello everyone. Last week in my Jujutsu class we were looking at defending yourself from someone swinging haymaker punches at your head. As I'm sure most will probably know the haymaker is the common swinging punch thrown from the pub brawler. It's not quite a hook but more of a flailing arm with a fist at the end! Don't know how else to describe it really....

So please offer your favourite defence. If it is quite simply a perfectly valid straight punch to the attackers nose then please play the game and mention an alternative to complement your answer!

Cheers all and I am looking forward to your suggestions! :)
Long range- Seeing it from a mile away I'd use a front kick.

Mid range- Step in deep on a slight inwards angle using a hard bridge to contact the attacking arm anywhere from the elbow to shoulder joint. Then use a straight punch aimed at whatever is open.

Close range- Jam the wind up then elbow/knee.

allenjp

Brown Belt
Reaction score
i like the one i learned in my BJJ class. Step in and block the punch while grabbing the tricep and coming in close to the attackers body forming a T with their body and yours. Next while still holding the arm step to the inside of the attacker, pushing your hips out and rotating you upper body on a 45 degree performing a hip throw.

very nice and very effective. my friend decided to be funny and throw a haymaker at me one time just to see what i would do and did this little move. he has since never done that again and is now looking into taking BJJ :D

B

That would be Ippon Seoi Nague, you could also learn this in Kodokan Judo...that's where it came from.

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
An "in close" chamber block followed by a short range elbow strike from your other arm.
:ultracool

CDKJudoka

Purple Belt
Reaction score
If I wanted to hurt the guy, close in, block the offending limb and lock it with my left arm, wrap the other arm in a reverse headlock, and them make him eat pavement or floor. If I wanted to subdue him, block and grab the arm and a seionage or harai ogoshi into an arm bar. Since he is throwing a haymaker, should make it much easier for either throw.

What we learned in TKD, knife hand block, step in and elbow strike, followed by a knee. Or replace the elbow strike with either and uppercut or a rising elbow strike.

northern tiger

White Belt
Reaction score
This happened to me over new years for the first time (and hopefully last time) in my life. I just swayed back to dodge the punch and then hit him with a right roundhouse kick (hitting with the toe of my shoe) to his side.

It ended the fight but thinking about the incident now it probably wasn't the best response and I know I backed away because I really didn't want to end up in a scrap. If I got to chose the way I would have responded I would have probably steped in instead of back. But theory and practice are very different. I should have also delivered a groin kick or front kick even though I have wicked roundhouses from my sanshou training.