Are there general principles for arm deflections? Are some better than others?

kehcorpz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
To me it seems as if there are many different approaches. But which one's the best?

For example I have see it that an attacker's punch was deflected to the inside.
For example if he punches with his right arm then the defender uses his left arm
to deflect it so that the arm of the attacker is moved to his left side.

However I have also see that a punch was deflected to the outside.
For example if the attacker punches with his right hand then the defender uses his right hand
and then pushes the attacker's arm to the outside. Of in another case he defender did not use
his right hand but he used his left hand and deflected to the outside.

I ask myself how do you decide how to deflect?!
Do you decide this in an instant and then choose from different deflection options or is it generally
better not to not mix too many deflections so that you don't get confused?

I also wonder is it generally better to deflect to the inside or outside?
One argument I heard is that when you deflect to the inside then the attacker is basically turned away from
you. His punching arm is deflected and his upper body is turned to the side so he cannot hit you with the other
arm. This makes sense to me.

But if you deflect to the outside then he could always hit you with his other arm. :/

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So many questions.

There are reasons for all types of blocks or parries. They will become clear during your training.

MI_martialist

Brown Belt
Reaction score
To me it seems as if there are many different approaches. But which one's the best?

For example I have see it that an attacker's punch was deflected to the inside.
For example if he punches with his right arm then the defender uses his left arm
to deflect it so that the arm of the attacker is moved to his left side.

However I have also see that a punch was deflected to the outside.
For example if the attacker punches with his right hand then the defender uses his right hand
and then pushes the attacker's arm to the outside. Of in another case he defender did not use
his right hand but he used his left hand and deflected to the outside.

Do you decide this in an instant and then choose from different deflection options or is it generally

I also wonder is it generally better to deflect to the inside or outside?
One argument I heard is that when you deflect to the inside then the attacker is basically turned away from
you. His punching arm is deflected and his upper body is turned to the side so he cannot hit you with the other
arm. This makes sense to me.

But if you deflect to the outside then he could always hit you with his other arm. :/

It will all become clear, but do not forget deflection from the top and from the bottom - with same side, or mirror side hands. Then, let's not forget forget 2 hands...most people have 2 hands...so...2 hands simultaneous, alternate, which one first? Two hand same spot, or different spots? Where on the arm? Which hand on which part of the arm? How about palm, then wrist, then forearm, etc...then alternate palm, forearm, inside and outside....both with different parts of the arm simultaneous, and then alternate...

The real question is...to what applications does each of these give access???

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Look man you seem like a guy who's enthusiastic about martial arts and wants to learn but your not going to really learn anything on here. Some of us may like or prefer a move that would never work with you and reading about martial arts honestly will not help you at all you'll have to train practice the moves

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
All of those deflections are good in the right time and place. You don't "decide" which one to use as some sort of intellectual process. The appropriate deflection is determined by the relative positions of your bodies, your arms, the angle of attack, your pre-existing momentum, your intentions for a follow up, and various other factors. With enough experience of practicing and sparring, it will become intuitive.

As others have said repeatedly, you're going to actually get out there and get physically involved in training to really understand this stuff. Watching videos, reading, and theorizing will never get you there.

TaiChiTJ

Brown Belt
Reaction score
All of those deflections are good in the right time and place. You don't "decide" which one to use as some sort of intellectual process.

Yes.

The "intellectual process" of listing in words possible blocking actions, is great, and helpful, and an important part of your growth in the arts. Understand when the flow is happening, other parts of your brain, of your mind-body connection, are front and center, not the one that takes pencil in hand, sitting in a chair, and making a list.

Do both, the intellectual and the physical flow, and in time we will all be learning from you.

Last edited:

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Inside vs outside, across vs away, etc. all have their places.

In very, very general and theoretical terms...

A straight punch is easier and better deflected across the attacker's body (right punch deflected by my left hand, bringing the attacker's arm across his chest). This opens up his ribs/side and is very hard to recover from to protect from my counter. This is the best case scenario. Some call it the blind spot, some call it the defenseless pocket.

A circular punch like a hook is pretty hard to deflect across an opponent's body as was described above; the punch has to go passed you, and often it has to go through you to go passed you, resulting in you getting hit. The simplest and safest way to deflect this is blocking a right punch with your left hand and away from you and your attacker. Yes, he can still punch with his other hand at will.

What your source probably isn't telling you is that footwork, head movement, distancing, and where your hands were right before the attack are probably more important than the actual block itself. If these things are off, you're going to get hit; you won't have a chance to get your hand up quickly enough.

And the best case scenario doesn't happen very often. You do whatever the situation dictates without thinking about it; if you think about it while it's happening, you'll wake up in a world of hurt.

Find a school, train, train, and then train some more.

"Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face."
- Mike Tyson