Alternating Maces

R

Rob_Broad

(front - two-hand push)

1)Standing naturally, and as your opponent attempts to push you, step back
with your left foor toward 6:00 into a right neutral bow stance (facing
12:00). Simultaneously execute a right inward block to the outside of your
opponent's left arm, while your left hand checks at your solar plexus.
(This action should turn the width of your opponent's body, and redirect
his forward momentum off center.)

2)Immediatly collapse your right arm across the top of both of your
opponent's arms (to act as checks), as you deliver a left vertical thrust
punch (tracking over your right arm) to your opponent's sternum or solar
plexus. This is done while pivoting into a right forward bow stance.
Remember, both the stance change and punch must work in sychronization
with each other in order to maximize the force of your left vertical thrust
punch. (Your opponent's reaction should cause his body to bend forward at
the waist.)

3)Immediatly convert your left punch into a check by having it shift, palm
open and down, on top of both your opponent's arms. Simultaneously have your
right hand rapidly travel inside and over your left arm as you deliver a
right outward back knuckle strike to your opponent's right temple. This
transition is done while pivoting back into a right neautral bow stance.
(The torque stemming from your stance change helps to increase the whipping
action of your right hand, and, if properly executed, should cause your
opponent's head to be driven up and back, with the possibility of his arms
flailing upward.)

4)Immediatly have your right hand snap back, and it then acts as a positional
check.

kenpo3631

Black Belt
Reaction score
In EPAK we are taught that everything has an opposite and reverse, correct?

If we teach this teach this technique and not the "original" #2 technique we lose a piece of the Kenpo puzzle.

So my question is why does this technique exist and who "originally" developed it?

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
this is the only #2 yellow technique I've ever learned. Was there a different one? If so, what?

kenpo3631

Black Belt
Reaction score
The "original" 32's started at Orange Belt. There was no Yellow Belt until the 70's I believe it was.

Yes, you are right though Alternating Maces did replace Aggressive Twins on the technique charts.

Which leads me to my earlier question - why does Alternating Maces exist and who "originally" developed it?

:asian:

Roland

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
I hope someone here will know the why of it being replaced now.

:eek: :eek:

OP
R

Rainman

Originally posted by kenpo3631

The "original" 32's started at Orange Belt. There was no Yellow Belt until the 70's I believe it was.

Yes, you are right though Alternating Maces did replace Aggressive Twins on the technique charts.

Which leads me to my earlier question - why does Alternating Maces exist and who "originally" developed it?

Aggresive Twins will not stop a hard follow through push. AM does and is much easier to do. The push is to height zone 2. Height zone one is (for example) parting wings. Where I train it is common for belts to come in about a year or 2. Other schools where tests occur in say 3 or four months for yellow there is no way a student with that amount of time can hit the knee shot to set up the rest of the technique. To buckle the knee A)without damaging the knee B) Dimensionally cancel with a strike to the knee graded at white is asking for problems.

Don't know who developed AM.

kenpo3631

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Goldendragon7

So.......... are you saying you believe what Len Broussard states is accurate?

It just confirms what I saw on Mr. Parkers student handouts for the 32 technique system that was taught at Pasadena.:asian:

kenpo3631

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Rainman

Aggresive Twins will not stop a hard follow through push. AM does and is much easier to do. The push is to height zone 2. Height zone one is (for example) parting wings. Where I train it is common for belts to come in about a year or 2. Other schools where tests occur in say 3 or four months for yellow there is no way a student with that amount of time can hit the knee shot to set up the rest of the technique. To buckle the knee A)without damaging the knee B) Dimensionally cancel with a strike to the knee graded at white is asking for problems.

Don't know who developed AM.

Aggresive Twins will not stop a hard follow through push.

:rofl:I am going to stop right here:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Have you ever had this technique done correctly on you??? I have by first genration black belts.....I think you need to reconsider the above qoute sir:asian:

OP
R

Rainman

Originally posted by kenpo3631

:rofl:I am going to stop right here:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Have you ever had this technique done correctly on you??? I have by first genration black belts.....I think you need to reconsider the above qoute sir:asian:

You changed the subject- WHITE BELTS not BB's. Show your proof instead of meandering around and looking for support from your so called Kenpo Gods and doing the name dropping bit. Point by point refute what I said. It is a technical forum- so far nothing technical from you.

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think it can stop a hard follow through push as this is how we practice it.

Alternating Maces on the other hand was taught to me as a defense for a two hand low push and Aggressive Twins is for a two hand high push. Of the two the high push is more likely to be encountered and therefore more needed (IMO).

The block in Aggressive Twins uses torque for the block so why do you think it wouldn't work?

OP
R

Rainman

Originally posted by Klondike93

I think it can stop a hard follow through push as this is how we practice it.

Alternating Maces on the other hand was taught to me as a defense for a two hand low push and Aggressive Twins is for a two hand high push. Of the two the high push is more likely to be encountered and therefore more needed (IMO).

The block in Aggressive Twins uses torque for the block so why do you think it wouldn't work?

What stops forward momentum? Do you let the push initiate action or do you attack before it gets to you?

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm stepping back to about 5:30 and blocking before the push hits me. The side kick is hitting right behind the block.

OP
R

Rainman

Originally posted by Klondike93

I'm stepping back to about 5:30 and blocking before the push hits me. The side kick is hitting right behind the block.

Okay consider this, all the teks work just fine for attmepted attacks that you see before you feel. I would call that anticipation. So you are not really defending against a push. You are in the 3rd range or contact penetraition. Defend against a push and tell me what the results are. Have the push initiate action and tell me if you can cancell zones effectively without maiming your associate. If I understand you correctly the version you are doing has already been altered from the base. That is to say you are stepping off line and attacking before contact has been made from the attacker. The way I understand AT is you are defending against a push not an attempted push. That being the case what do you do when someone actually pushes you?

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
This is how it's written in the manual my instructor gave me, so it would seem I'm not stepping correctly.

1. Step back into a right neutral bow with a right thrusting inward block at or above the attackers left elbow. Your left hand covers at solar plexus level.

So I think your getting at treating this like you would Triggered Salute, where you let the push actually hit you then you act.
It makes no mention of when to step so I always assumed it was as the push came at you, after all why wait for it to hit you if you don't have to.

Latest Discussions