Favourite combination

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It looks cool in a demonstration. But I don't think I would use that in a street fight. But that's just me.

zanaffar

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
That rear leg round kick is ON POINT! The upright body, the hand positions, and the sideways stance reminds me of my point-sparring TKD days! I had to break so many of those habits going into a full contact style! But thankfully my TKD kicks still give me an edge in the kicking department!

NinjaChristian

Green Belt
Reaction score
It looks cool in a demonstration. But I don't think I would use that in a street fight. But that's just me.
I actually agree with you. I think it is possible that it could work, but considering how often the opportunity arises to use this kick when sparring continuously (not often), I think it is extremely unlikely. Still fun to pull off, though :)

NinjaChristian

Green Belt
Reaction score
That rear leg round kick is ON POINT! The upright body, the hand positions, and the sideways stance reminds me of my point-sparring TKD days! I had to break so many of those habits going into a full contact style! But thankfully my TKD kicks still give me an edge in the kicking department!

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, so what you're doing isn't turning, you're just switching leads. In an inefficient manner.
Try this when actual contact is made. It not only is unlikely to work, it's likely to end with you on the floor.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If I have successfully pulled this off numerous times, than how is it an ineffective technique? It is not a technique that I throw by itself, but I do it in the midst of the fight. I have heard that superfoot wallace does something similar, throwing some slow kicks to make the opponent feel confident, then suddenly upping the speed to surprise his opponent.

Bill never threw a slow kick in his life. At least not "slow' in your understanding of the word.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, I could see that working in a tournament setting fairly easily. Would be risky to do outside (the person will just take the hit and continue) or twice on the same person though.

NinjaChristian

Green Belt
Reaction score
Keep up the good work, my brother, you'll learn to kick yet.
can you please explain? what do you think needs to improve?
Ok, I could see that working in a tournament setting fairly easily. Would be risky to do outside (the person will just take the hit and continue) or twice on the same person though.
Even if they take the hit, I would think that they would be stunned long enough for me to recover from the kick. That's a round kick with the ball of the foot, head level, so if I make contact it's going to do significant damage. The way my foot hits the head with the person looking at me seems to land on the jaw, turning the head. I tested this in class during some drills by slowly placing my foot on my partners face.

NinjaChristian

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ouch. Buka means well. I thought it was pretty good but then again, buka knows much more than me.
A lot of people say my kicks look really good(including the senior belts in my dojang), so I wonder what buka means? I'm open to any improvements suggested.

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
A lot of people say my kicks look really good(including the senior belts in my dojang), so I wonder what buka means? I'm open to any improvements suggested.
If the people who are training you and grading you say your kicks are good then that's all you need to know. They're the ones that see you train and practice I'm not a taekwondo guy but those kicks are good. I mean I'd never jump In the air and throw a head kick but that's my opinion on the actual techique but your ability at the techique is very good

NinjaChristian

Green Belt
Reaction score
OK, so what you're doing isn't turning, you're just switching leads. In an inefficient manner.
Try this when actual contact is made. It not only is unlikely to work, it's likely to end with you on the floor.
why is there a difference when there is contact? at the times I did it, my sparring partner was backing up or otherwise unable to counter; so not a single technique is thrown at me. the last partner that I did it to last did use some contact, not knockout but enough that I didn't want to get hit :p .

NinjaChristian

Green Belt
Reaction score
If the people who are training you and grading you say your kicks are good then that's all you need to know. They're the ones that see you train and practice I'm not a taekwondo guy but those kicks are good. I mean I'd never jump In the air and throw a head kick but that's my opinion on the actual techique but your ability at the techique is very good
Thanks :). jumping kicks are not my my main attack but now and then they are a very good choice to use.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
can you please explain? what do you think needs to improve?

Even if they take the hit, I would think that they would be stunned long enough for me to recover from the kick. That's a round kick with the ball of the foot, head level, so if I make contact it's going to do significant damage. The way my foot hits the head with the person looking at me seems to land on the jaw, turning the head. I tested this in class during some drills by slowly placing my foot on my partners face.
If they blocked/guarded while coming in, someone could very easily absorb it. I'm sorry, but that's just what likely would happen.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
one of my favourites is similar, but with a right straight instead of the hook. jab-cross-round kick.
there are more, but this was my first favourite, when i remember right.
Mine, too. Simple and highly effective.

NinjaChristian

Green Belt
Reaction score
If they blocked/guarded while coming in, someone could very easily absorb it. I'm sorry, but that's just what likely would happen.
okay I understand what you mean by "absorb" now. which kick are you talking about, though? the round or the jumping round?

Latest Discussions