Favourite combination

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think maybe what buka meant was it looked very slow. Slow means it will never land and if doesn't land that what's the point?

Of course you could have been doing that to just better show the technique of the kick. I really dont know because I don't know your abilities.

paitingman

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Personally I'm more of a one (or sometimes two) shot kind of guy. At least when sparring. I remain pretty conservative.
I find myself countering with the most decisive shots when my opponent is flurrying (and missing). and vice versa: if i'm continually throwing and not landing I tend to get caught somewhere in the exchange.

So, I tend to set up and pop off my straight left (or any basic shot) then move. If it doesn't work out I just set it up and try again later.
I love keeping up with a good, stiff jab though. Same with my lead leg sidekick. Just a quick jab, and keep moving.

As far as combos or a combination of maneuvers:
1. Your classic 1-2 (then move in or out)
2. straight left-right hook
3. slide back-leg kick (or slideback-straight left)

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think my post was misunderstood. Not really criticizing, just encouraging. The vid was of one basic kick. Looks like a young man learning to kick. And I'm sure you will. Unless you don't think you're going to get any better in the next five or ten years. I mean, you aren't going to get lazy or anything, are you?

Tell you one great thing you got going for you - you have your hands up. Bravo, young fella, that's as important as anything, in my opinion.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
why is there a difference when there is contact? at the times I did it, my sparring partner was backing up or otherwise unable to counter; so not a single technique is thrown at me. the last partner that I did it to last did use some contact, not knockout but enough that I didn't want to get hit :p .

Because when contact is allowed, you're going to get knocked out of the air. They're moving backwards to avoid contact.
Personally, I'd move in while you're in the air, and see how you like landing flat on your back.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
If im going for a combination I prefer to let the opponent strike first.

*my favorite combination:
Block (or parry), grab, heel palm (hyperextension)

NinjaChristian

Green Belt
Reaction score
Because when contact is allowed, you're going to get knocked out of the air. They're moving backwards to avoid contact.
Personally, I'd move in while you're in the air, and see how you like landing flat on your back.
okay. It worked against the person I used it against, that's good enough for me. My personal opinion is that it will not work against some, the ones who know what to do with this kind move, but for someone who is not expecting it it works well. The last person I was sparring against was using contact, and i don't think he would have any problem ramming me because most of his strategy for dealing with my kicks is to rush me and get in my face.

OP
Kickboxer101

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm going to change mine I've had one I like more now. It's a retreating combo. As your opponents coming at you move back af thrw 2 jabs then follow with a cross and hit them as their moving forward I love the feel of how much power you get on the pads when doing that one.