Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Assume you have 4 punching tools in your tool box such as

- jab,
- cross,
- hook,
- uppercut.

You can create your 3 punches punching combos with 4 x 4 x 4 = 64 different combinations. Most combos will make sense such as jab, jab, jab. But some combos may not make sense such as cross, cross, cross.

For simplicity, you assume that the inverse is the same combo such as:

- right jab, right jab, right jab
- left jab, left jab, left jab

Also if you separate left arm and right arm, you can have 4 different combo:

- right, right, right
- right, right, left
- right, left, right
- right left, left

For example, your hook, hook, hook combo can be:

- right hook, right hook, right hook
- right hook, right hook, left hook
- right hook, left hook, right hook
- right hook, left hook, left hook.

64 x 4 = 256 maximum number of different combo. This may sound complicate. But if you have gone through this analysis, you will learn how to use punch 1 to set up punch 2, and use punch 2 to set up punch 3. This is a scientific way to create your combos.

Your thought?

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score

- jab,
- cross,
- hook,
- uppercut.

You can create your 3 punches punching combos with 4 x 4 x 4 = 64 different combinations. Most combos will make sense such as jab, jab, jab. But some combos may not make sense such as cross, cross, cross.

- right, right, right
- right, right, left
- right, left, right
- right left, left

64 x 4 = 256 maximum number of different combo. This may sound complicate. But if you have gone through this analysis, you will learn how to use punch 1 to set up punch 2, and use punch 2 to set up punch 3. This is a scientific way to create your combos.

Your thought?
All punch combinations make sense, just not to everyone.
You might think leading with the back hand is unorthodox. It is but Roy Jones Jr made it work like a charm. You may also think triple hooks don't work either. But I utilise them constantly, and so did Roy Jones Jr.

Also, if you believe some combinations can't be counted then your math would be a little bit off

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

- jab,
- cross,
- hook,
- uppercut.

- right, right, right
- right, right, left
- right, left, right
- right left, left

Your thought?
Too much for me. I rather keep combos based on body mechanics and how the human body reacts to punches. For example:

You throw 1 hook to the body. Figure out what comes next by determining the most common reaction that humans have after being hit with a hook punch. There are 2 realities: The hook lands or it doesn't land. From here you can start mapping out "What punch should come next." as part of the combo
upload_2021-1-20_18-25-3.png

You would need more pictures than this and you'll need to make sure that you are looking at the right punch some of these are uppercuts. But for the sake of understanding just assume they are all hooks.

Step 1: Analyze the photos or videos to see what the natural or trained response is.
Step 2: Find common behaviors in response to receiving a type of punch

Question 1: What do I see?
So here's what I see with 1 and 2 when receiving a punch to the body.
Both hands go up to cover. Elbows come close to the body

Question 2: What's open when the common reactions occurs?
Ear and behind the ear is open.
Legs are open,
Fighter crunches forward.

Question 3: What punching or grappling techniques can exploit this behaviors identified?
Knee to thigh
pull guard hand.
Hook high
Straight cross to face
Pin arms
Low kick
Knee to mid section
Knee to side of abdomen.

I prefer this way because I don't kneed to know how many combos I can throw. I just need to know what strikes or techniques should follow after I throw my next punch. My punches are based on how people usually react to specific attacks and I'm exploiting that behavior. Be for my opponent can counter I would already know what their reaction and where to punch.

Compare the analysis above with what you see below.

There's more to this that makes this process in order for it to work, I intentionally left certain parts out. Just wanted to present the basic idea of it.

Last edited:

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think it’s easy to get bogged down with trying to practice everything. It can be spirit-killing to do that because the possibilities go on forever and it just becomes raw monotony.

Don’t worry about getting everything. Plenty of it won’t be terribly useful anyways; just because the combo is possible does not automatically mean it is worth training. Focus on those that make sense, get in some good variety, mix it up now and then with new combos to experiment with, and don’t worry about the rest. You aren’t missing out on anything.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you only train what your teacher taught you, you only learn what your teacher knows. You will never learn what your teacher doesn't know. To create your own combos is the 1st step to be independent.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
1. You throw a right hook. Your opponent dodges under your arm to escape.
2. You change your right hook into a back fist to hit on top of your opponent's head. He raises right arm to block it.
3. You throw a left uppercut to hit under his chin.

Have you learned this 3 punches (hook, back fist, uppercut) combo from your teacher? Does this 3 punches combo exist in your MA forms?

The answers for these 2 questions are not important. By using the scientific method, you have taught yourself a new punching combo.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you only train what your teacher taught you, you only learn what your teacher knows. You will never learn what your teacher doesn't know. To create your own combos is the 1st step to be independent.
I agree with you. Was this comment in response to my comment?

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I agree with you. Was this comment in response to my comment?
It's how I feel which has nothing to do with anybody's comment. The 7 star praying mantis summary form has "same arm 3 hook punches" combo - low hook, middle hook, high hook. Unless you have cross trained that system. Only after you have learned that most advanced form, you will never have chance to learn that 3 hooks combo.

How to use tools in your toolbox is your job and not your teacher's job. If you know how to use hook, to figure out 3 hooks combo should be your job, and not your teacher's job.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's how I feel which has nothing to do with anybody's comment. The 7 star praying mantis summary form has "same arm 3 hook punches" combo - low hook, middle hook, high hook. Unless you have cross trained that system. Only after you have learned that most advanced form, you will never have chance to learn that 3 hooks combo.

How to use tools in your toolbox is your job and not your teacher's job.
I do agree with your position as you have stated it in your last couple of posts. I freely mix punches into whatever combo I want, and I train them. I also do some things that were handed down to me by my teachers. There are also things that were handed down that I’ve essentially said goodbye to. Some parts of the curriculum I don’t like to change, but others I feel free to change and get creative with, and drills and combos definitely fall into the latter.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I also do some things that were handed down to me by my teachers.
My teacher taught me combo such as:

- single leg, foot sweep,
- single leg, leg spring,
- single leg, inner hook.

He didn't teach me

- single leg, body squeeze,
- single leg, scoop kick.

One day I asked him why. He said, "When Confucius said that a table has 4 legs. If he showed you 1 of those 4 legs, you should be able to figure out the other 3 legs all by yourself".

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
1. You throw a right hook. Your opponent dodges under your arm to escape.
2. You change your right hook into a back fist to hit on top of your opponent's head. He raises right arm to block it.
3. You throw a left uppercut to hit under his chin.

Have you learned this 3 punches (hook, back fist, uppercut) combo from your teacher? Does this 3 punches combo exist in your MA forms?

The answers for these 2 questions are not important. By using the scientific method, you have taught yourself a new punching combo.

One of our coaches the danimal has a weird spinning back fist for that.

It flicks up his back like he is arm locking himself and meets your head on the way down.

It works and is super embarrassing to get hit by.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

It flicks up his back like he is arm locking himself and meets your head on the way down.

This is the major point.

Your (general YOU) instructor may not have taught you the "hook punch, spin back fist" combo. But if you use the scientific permutation method, you can figure it out by yourself.

- Does this combo make sense?
- Under what condition will this combo work?

If you start to think about those questions, your MA knowledge will start to get grow.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I always want to condense my MA training into a short sequence. By spending very little time, I can get the best training result when training partner is not available.

Just created a 10 moves kick/punch combo in the past few days. Thie kick/punch ratio is 4/8 = 1/2 (my favor ratio). I like this combo because the transition is smooth, and it doesn't take much effort to do. I can repeat it over and over and still not feel tired at all.

At 8, 9 the right kick, left kick combo, I can do any double kicks I like:

- right side kick, left turn side kick.
- right roundhouse kick, left spin hook kick.
- right inside crescent kick, left outside crescent kick.

Any comment on this?

1. Left downward parry, right jab.
2. Right block/grab/pull, left cross.
3. Right punch left kick.
4. Left punch right kick.
5. Right hook.
6. Left uppercut.
7. Right overhand.
8. Separate hands right kick.
9. Separate hands left kick.
10. Spin back fist.

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Vertical back fist that rises to the top and then goes downwards striking technique sounds familiar to long fist striking technique. Not sure why it's embarrassing though. It's reliable and has the ability to change angle at the last moment. If it's the same punch that I'm thinking of then it's a good set up punch. I've never done it from a spinning backfist movement since I always follow up with a second punch that trails the first.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I always want to condense my MA training into a short sequence. By spending very little time, I can get the best training result when training partner is not available.
Maybe I am not properly understanding what you intend to say here, but my comment is that sometimes we need to be willing to spend more than the minimum time and effort in our training, if we wish to develop useful and thorough skill sets.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Maybe I am not properly understanding what you intend to say here, but my comment is that sometimes we need to be willing to spend more than the minimum time and effort in our training, if we wish to develop useful and thorough skill sets.
You are talking about "develop". I'm talking about "maintain".

For example, for my current age, I find it's getting harder and harder to do one of my favor kicking combos "roundhouse kick, spin hook kick". I truly want to maintain this kicking combo as long as I can.

Some people say that when you get old, you should do Taiji. I really don't want to do Taiji at my current age.

One day when you no longer compete in the ring, or on the mat, you may just want to use MA to maintain your health so you can live longer.

I like to walk 3 miles daily. When I walk, I can do nothing and just enjoy the scenery, or I can train MA along with my walking. I just finished my 3 miles walking + MA training about 1 hour ago. It took me about 1 and 1/2 hour. In those 3 miles, I have repeated my 10 moves combo 140 times. Consider I have 8 punches and 4 kicks in that combo, I have done 140 x 12 = 1,680 kicks/punches along with my 3 miles walking.

The way I look at this is, one day I'll be too old to do my 1,680 kicks/punches, at least I will still maintain my 3 miles walking ability. QAQ

Last edited:

Latest Discussions