Favourite combination

NinjaChristian

Green Belt
Reaction score
Probably a very effective technique.

Well, as long as your opponent is a bag or kicking target.
If I have successfully pulled this off numerous times, than how is it an ineffective technique? It is not a technique that I throw by itself, but I do it in the midst of the fight. I have heard that superfoot wallace does something similar, throwing some slow kicks to make the opponent feel confident, then suddenly upping the speed to surprise his opponent.

NinjaChristian

Green Belt
Reaction score
Is this specifically for tournament sparring?
I do continuous sparring; officially no contact, but as the ranks get higher there is a little contact. rules are: no knees, no elbows, no grabbing, kick above the waist, and no contact.
what do you picture from my description of the combo? maybe I'm explaining it wrong.

NinjaChristian

Green Belt
Reaction score
What is your opponent doing all that time you're in the air? I would use that time to fire off a technique or two on you.
you have to use timing. the goal is to make the opponent think you are throwing a jumping kick of some sort, but instead you don't. if they know you are just jumping, well, good luck. again, you have to use timing. You have to be able to sense if your opponent is in a position to counter it, rush it, whatever. if they are, don't throw it. This technique is useful, but only under certain circumstances.

Last edited:

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
I do continuous sparring; officially no contact, but as the ranks get higher there is a little contact. rules are: no knees, no elbows, no grabbing, kick above the waist, and no contact.
what do you picture from my description of the combo? maybe I'm explaining it wrong.

There are many high ranking tournament that use full contact.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I have successfully pulled this off numerous times, than how is it an ineffective technique? It is not a technique that I throw by itself, but I do it in the midst of the fight. I have heard that superfoot wallace does something similar, throwing some slow kicks to make the opponent feel confident, then suddenly upping the speed to surprise his opponent.

I think comparing yourself to Superfoot is probably a bad idea.
I think things that work in non-contact sparring and things that work, are two very different things.
I'd like to see a video of you using this, with some degree of contact.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sounds like something that sounds bad on paper but could work. Like when I said I like to catch wrists when people punch at me to better obtain a clinch safely.

Sounds stupid on paper but it can and has worked.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
im pretty sure I am picturing it correctly. The issue is that grabs would likely mess the combination up, and from how I am picturing it, there would not be a whole lot of strength behind it. In a tournament setting that's fine, but not so much when you leave the tournament mindset. I could be wrong on either account though, as I haven't felt it done on me.

NinjaChristian

Green Belt
Reaction score
I think comparing yourself to Superfoot is probably a bad idea.
I think things that work in non-contact sparring and things that work, are two very different things.
I'd like to see a video of you using this, with some degree of contact.
I was not comparing myself to superfoot wallace. I am not nearly as good as him, I was simply saying that I had heard he used this type of strategy.
also, I don't use this combo every time I fight, it is more of a spur of the moment kind of thing.

NinjaChristian

Green Belt
Reaction score
Sounds like something that sounds bad on paper but could work. Like when I said I like to catch wrists when people punch at me to better obtain a clinch safely.

Sounds stupid on paper but it can and has worked.
I think you're right. I would have to show it in person.
im pretty sure I am picturing it correctly. The issue is that grabs would likely mess the combination up, and from how I am picturing it, there would not be a whole lot of strength behind it. In a tournament setting that's fine, but not so much when you leave the tournament mindset. I could be wrong on either account though, as I haven't felt it done on me.
not sure how much strength is behind it, but I think that it is just as much as a normal round kick off the back leg. Just the way it feels but idk. I don't think that grabs would mess it up, as i do it when my opponent is backing up.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think you're right. I would have to show it in person.

not sure how much strength is behind it, but I think that it is just as much as a normal round kick off the back leg. Just the way it feels but idk. I don't think that grabs would mess it up, as i do it when my opponent is backing up.
Do you have a video of you, or someone else, doing it? Would make it a lot easier to talk about

zanaffar

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I could see that jump, turn, land, kick move working exactly once against a person. It's got a high "WTF?" factor to it that makes your opponent look at you and question why it is exactly you're jump way up into the air, turning, and not actually throwing any kicks. I'm such if I was sparring someone and they did the jump turn part, I'd just sort of stand there scratching my head a bit and not notice the rear leg round kick.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I usually don't think 'combinations'. Jab/ front kick, feints, pressure... strike where is open. Enough, usually.
'Combinations' just to prepare for spinning kicks or other fancy (or new) moves.

NinjaChristian

Green Belt
Reaction score
Here is a video of the combo plus jumping rounds off the back leg (this is me).

Last edited:

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The link won't open for me.

Sorry, this content isn't available right now

The link you followed may have expired, or the page may only be visible to an audience you're not in.

NinjaChristian

Green Belt
Reaction score
[
The link won't open for me.

Sorry, this content isn't available right now

The link you followed may have expired, or the page may only be visible to an audience you're not in.
*grumble grumble* I'll fix it, just give me a bit.

Latest Discussions