Favorite Uniform

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The uniform I got with my 3rd dan promotion has pockets.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What is your favorite gi/dobok/uniform?

Not the one used by my former association! Flimsy, awkward, oddly designed, and worse, the top looked like some kinda maternity dress! So why is this guy smiling?

0000096_wing-tsun-leung-ting-technician-suit_300.jpeg

BTW, just yesterday, I cleaned out my closet and sent a couple of these to Goodwill. Probably will end up as rags.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The uniform I got with my 3rd dan promotion has pockets.

Pockets are good. :)

That's why I use plain black sweats or gym shorts instead of my uniform (saam) pants whenever I can. Pockets!

Last edited:

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You know, I just don't get the whole flashy silk thing still popular in some kung-fu circles. OK for performance arts like wu-shu, but for a so-called "fighting art"??? Even my old Chinese sifu said that what Westerners think of as a "Kung Fu" uniform evloved out of what was once common worker's clothing. Not fancy stuff. That's all marketing, and IMO very poor marketing in this day and age!

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You know, I just don't get the whole flashy silk thing still popular in some kung-fu circles. OK for performance arts like wu-shu, but for a so-called "fighting art"??? Even my old Chinese sifu said that what Westerners think of as a "Kung Fu" uniform evloved out of what was once common worker's clothing. Not fancy stuff. That's all marketing, and IMO very poor marketing in this day and age!

Is it more comfortable to train in?

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not the one used by my former association! Flimsy, awkward, oddly designed, and worse, the top looked like some kinda maternity dress! So why is this guy smiling?

0000096_wing-tsun-leung-ting-technician-suit_300.jpeg

BTW, just yesterday, I cleaned out my closet and sent a couple of these to Goodwill. Probably will end up as rags.

When I was in high school, the popular fashion for girls for a while was something that had a string around the ribs, but everything else was loose. It looked like a bunch of maternity dresses, and IMO was a horrible fashion trend.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Do you know the brand and what type of Dobok it is?

It's the Mooto Pride 3 uniform. It's very comfortable. It's got a cool hex style stitching (and as a nerd it makes me think of hex-based boardgames). It's got a little bit of different material around the neck, which stretches a bit different. There's also belt loops for the elastic band, which is almost as good a feature as the pockets.

There's no one good picture of it online, but if you google search it you'll get a good idea of what it looks like.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Shureido K-11. Best quality, material, weight, and fit I’ve come across. Not a TKD dobok though.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score

Jacob really likes the light weight Punok kumite gi (7 oz)....very breathable and comfortable.

Website%20cover%20Feb%202019.webp

Also on a side note the girl kicking is a good friend of ours.

For competition, he wears a Mugen competition gi (10 oz orange label) made by Ki International

OP
A

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
Jacob really likes the light weight Punok kumite gi (7 oz)....very breathable and comfortable.

Website%20cover%20Feb%202019.webp

Also on a side note the girl kicking is a good friend of ours.

For competition, he wears a Mugen competition gi (10 oz orange label) made by Ki International

Look at Jenna! I'll check out the Mugen, I've been looking at Tokaido.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Jake likes the orange label 10 oz....alot of people prefer the heavier yellow label 13 oz though

Jenna and Adrian are both sponsored by Punok.

We havent tried their heavier kata gi but I've seen a few people wear them.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Black gi, the heavier the canvas the better.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Our Training Center tee shirt and a pair of fight shorts or long pants like I'm wearing in my avatar.
Unless it's BJJ then I wear a Fuji gi.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Our Training Center tee shirt and a pair of fight shorts or long pants like I'm wearing in my avatar.

the 5.11 Stryke tactical pants are super comfortable. RIP resistant with a little bit of flex and gussett construction are nice.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Look at Jenna! I'll check out the Mugen, I've been looking at Tokaido.
Tokaido (Japanese made, not Pakistani made) and Shureido are very, very close in quality and material. If you were to remove the labels, most would think they were the same gi, so long as the weight was the same in a model vs model comparison.

The difference between the two is the cut/fit. Shureido is a stocky guy’s cut; Tokaido is a tall and thin guy’s cut.

There’s allegedly quite a difference in the Japanese made vs Pakistani made Tokaidos. I haven’t seen a Pakistani made Tokaido.

Several people at my dojo wear the KI Mugen Orange label. They love them. They look good and are cheap. And they’ve held up well too. KI doesn’t fit me right, so I’ve never tried them.

IMO if you’re going inexpensive, KI Mugen orange; upscale Shureido or Japanese Tokaido.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
20181029_071905.jpg

Auther and co gi.

I will have to get a photo of my adventure time rashi and matching shorts.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I still have the gi style top my GM gave me in 1984 that I wear from time to time. It is heavy cotton or canvas so feels very different from the lighter dobok style uniforms I am more comfortable in but stills feels great when I wear it. My wife recently surprised me with an Adidas Adiflex and a Grandmaster dobok which is by far the most comfortable uniforms I have ever worn. Here is an amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/Adidas-Flex-...iform&qid=1554769762&s=sporting-goods&sr=1-22

Latest Discussions