Favorite Kick

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Pretty is not important to me either!
icon14.gif

Function before form, always! If something works well for some urgent purpose, it usually does look pretty good...

PS OK, so now I see how to do those cool `thumbs-up' icons... kept looking for them on the pull-down smilies menu and couldn't figure out why they weren't there... abundant gratitude for that! That one oughta be a menu item, IMHO :asian:

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm a fan of the slidding side kick, myself. For when it absolutely, positively has to get there fast & effectively.:ultracool

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm a fan of the slidding side kick, myself. For when it absolutely, positively has to get there fast & effectively.:ultracool

I agree---good balance, you cover ground quickly and very little is necessary by way of getting set up for it.

OP
matt.m

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
The jumping spinning crescent is my fav, because I re-taught myself how to do it with my leg braces. However, my favorite combo is front leg round kick followed by spinning twist kick with the back leg.

I love the dynamic kicking of tkd and hkd for their physical therapy reasons. Of course the bread and butter is and always be the side kick to me.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree---good balance, you cover ground quickly and very little is necessary by way of getting set up for it.

It should be a commercial. When you absolutely have to break off somebody's ribs in a split second, the side kick. Its more for your money.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Front kick - deceptively simple, but difficult to properly master, unexpected (who uses front kick, after all) and easy to modify into a large number of other kicks.

I wouldn't go so far as to say front snap kick is my favorite, but it is definately one of my staple kicks. I agree though: I'm definately an oddball for using it so often.

Front snap kick is a highly underrated kick, IMO, and underappreciated. And under-used.

From a boxer's stance the front snap kick takes no repositioning to throw (like a side, hook or round kick), so it is a GREAT kick to mix in with hand combinations. One of my favorite tactics is, as opponent steps back after a hand-exchange, to "give them one (front snap) on the way out."

It is also an incredibly fast kick. And, if you learn to sink your hips into it, can also be very, very powerful. Can easily knock the wind out of someone by planting one on the solar plexus.

Like Kacey noted, it is also great for using with/setting up other combination kicks. One of the easiest ways to start head hunting is to first hit them with a couple front kicks, then do front kick-round kick combo, with front kick at the belt, round at the head. Almost too easy.

Also works well in combinations with axe or crescent kicks (as it is the same hip position).

Ahhh.. gotta love that front kick :)

I don't think I can pick a favorite kick though -- kind of like asking me to pick one of my kids out as my favorite. I love them ALL :D

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It should be a commercial. When you absolutely have to break off somebody's ribs in a split second, the side kick. Its more for your money.

:)

Love it!---now all we need is a catchy jingle...

kik

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
In confrontational situation I prefer an immediate outside cresent kick. it's upclose and personal and if applied right it can shatter a jaw bone like glass.

Ryan V

White Belt
Reaction score
My personal fav kick is 360 turning kick for sparring bt in general it has to twin direction kick

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
One kick that is not used very often by very many people is the twist kick. We often call it the inside roundhouse. Not exactly a favorite, but it will always hold a special place for me. During my 1st Dan test towards the end of our "50 man fight" section I used it to break both of my Dad's cheekbones. A priceless moment for me.

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Lead leg front ball kick (to groin or gall bladder) & vertical hooking heel (to opposite side of opponent's face).

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
One kick that is not used very often by very many people is the twist kick. We often call it the inside roundhouse. Not exactly a favorite, but it will always hold a special place for me. During my 1st Dan test towards the end of our "50 man fight" section I used it to break both of my Dad's cheekbones. A priceless moment for me.

Yea -- that is a kick my HKD instructor makes sure we get plenty of practice with.

Also called the "inverted roundhouse."

It is yet another underused and underappreciated kick.

Fun combos with twist kick:

- front leg twist to the belt -> roundhouse to the head (w/ same leg) :)

- front let twist to the belt -> a side kick (w/ same leg)

Fun sparring trick: set them up by throwing a couple of back sides kicks.

(Not in a row, but in the middle of other stuff -- round kick... side kick.. punch... round..round..front, round..punch ... BACK SIDE KICK ... round kick...front kick.. punch...side kick... BACK SIDE KICK... etc.)

Then, after throwing some other stuff, do a spinning twist kick :)

Might want to try it out on a bag first before trying it during free sparring. Be careful: it is very easy to put a LOT of power into a spinning twist kick ;)

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
I personally like a lot of kicks, and can't decide on which is my favorite. For sparring, I like your basic kicks- front, side, round.... For more fancier, I like spinning. I'm not really into jump- spins, though.

wayofhandandfoot

White Belt
Reaction score
grounded and jump back kick. feels strong, covers good distance, keeps opponent honest. can be thrown from far away or after a barage of punches.

RED

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I like the 360 jumping Crecent kick. It's one of the "fancy" kicks I can actually do.

I also like to see a SLOW, perfected, controlled, rear leg side kick held out about shoulder high for a while. I find that very eliquent and seeing a woman do it is...ummm...saucy.

My 2¥

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
mine is a spin hook kick for sure

I would like to have a rockin' jump spin back kick (with a good tuck with the other leg, a high jump and powerful kick)
then that one will be my favorite!

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I know I'm not very high up and don't have a lot of kicks under my belt yet, but my favourite so far is the side kick, I can cover a lot of ground with a long step through or a skip and get into an opponant that's backing off. I do like my combos though, my usual one is a side kick followed by a back kick, or a front snap kick followed by a couple of long reaching front kicks when they back up. I've chased a few people round that Dojang like that ;)

Just4Kicks

Green Belt
Reaction score

I have never heard of a twist roundhouse, how different is the execution from a normal roundhouse?

I love to look at all the fancy kicks, I can't do them... yet.

Currently I love the spinning back hook kick, one of them to the jaw is a definate KO.