Favorite Kick

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tae Kwon Do is known for its beautiful kicking. My question to everyone is: What is your favorite kick?

I don't mean in sparring or anything specific scenerio wise. I just mean in general.

Mine happens to be the jump spinning crescent.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tae Kwon Do is known for its beautiful kicking. My question to everyone is: What is your favorite kick?

I don't mean in sparring or anything specific scenerio wise. I just mean in general.

Mine happens to be the jump spinning crescent.

Compared with the jump s. c. kick, this is going to be very boring, Matt---just the plain old rear leg side kick, done very slowly and held at mid height for a good long time.

Sirius

White Belt
Reaction score
Well, it depends on who's doing them. My personal favorite kick to do is a padachagi. But my favorite one to see is my friend's roundhouse to the head. His technique is so perfect-it's literally a thing of beauty.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have to say that I like them all. However, I have been saved on more than one occasion by a good roundhouse kick so that is the kick for me!

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have to say that I like them all. However, I have been saved on more than one occasion by a good roundhouse kick so that is the kick for me!

Brian---when you've been in those situations, what was your striking target on the assailant's body? I assume you were wearing shoes and struck with the upper surface of your foot (?)

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I like a good lead leg side kick or lead leg hook kick. If I am feeling flashy a nice 540 hook is always fun.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Brian---when you've been in those situations, what was your striking target on the assailant's body? I assume you were wearing shoes and struck with the upper surface of your foot (?)

Targets were knees and thighs and I used my shin.

TraditionalTKD

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Side kick and all its variations: regular, back side kick, jumping back side kick, sliding side kick, jumping side kick.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Targets were knees and thighs and I used my shin.

Shin into knee---gotta hurt! What part of the thigh do you aim for ideally---part just above the knee, or higher up? Maybe it doesn't matter, if you land it hard enough...

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
On the inside of the thigh I would aim for about midway up which would address the femoral nerve. On the outside above the knee is the common peroneal pressure point and farther up is the sciatic nerve. Those are definately what you want to be addressing for a pressure nerve point malfunction. (definately for law enforcement, corrections, security usage)
For sheer skeletal damage it is hard to beat taking out a knee for ending a physical confrontation and allowing you to establish control.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
On the inside of the thigh I would aim for about midway up which would address the femoral nerve. On the outside above the knee is the common peroneal pressure point and farther up is the sciatic nerve. Those are definately what you want to be addressing for a pressure nerve point malfunction. (definately for law enforcement, corrections, security usage)

I've irritated my sciatic nerve running at various times and it can be painful enough to make you nauseous, so yes, a good hard strike there would do it. And the part of the thigh just over the knee is nice and exposed...

For sheer skeletal damage it is hard to beat taking out a knee for ending a physical confrontation and allowing you to establish control.

A good hard side kick or roundhous to the side of the knee is going blow the joint apart---knee probably won't ever be quite right again even w/surgery.

And best of all, those kicks aren't easy to block or counter. Pretty's not so important to me...

fireman00

Brown Belt
Reaction score
stepping/ spinning back side kick to: knee, thigh, waist, belly button, chest. Covers distance and you can pick up a lot of momentum before impact.

The Kidd

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I would have to go with the Tornado for flash or sparring a good turn side.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would have to go with the Tornado for flash or sparring a good turn side.

Hello Kid and welcome to Mt, May I suggest you go to the meet and greet section and give some background about you.
I see you are from Texas where abouts?
I'm in the DFW area myself

Take care and looking for some great input from you

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
I love the side kick-nothing fancy, but it is a thing of simplicity and power.

Miles

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Front kick - deceptively simple, but difficult to properly master, unexpected (who uses front kick, after all) and easy to modify into a large number of other kicks.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Front kick - deceptively simple, but difficult to properly master, unexpected (who uses front kick, after all) and easy to modify into a large number of other kicks.

Do you prefer the snap or pushing style front kick?

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
And best of all, those kicks aren't easy to block or counter. Pretty's not so important to me...

Pretty is not important to me either!
icon14.gif

Latest Discussions