Father of upstate New York Karate has passed

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
For those of you that are interested, my Sensei, and a pioneer in karate in the early 60s was killed yesterday. I have talked about him in some of my posts over the past year, and now he is gone. A car/train accident took his life yesterday. I wanted to share this with all of you because of the contributions he made to the art of Okinawan GoJu karate in the Syracuse New York area. I am hoping that the below link will take you to the news article about this very dedicated gentleman who gave so much to the karate world.

He is considered the father of karate in Upstate New York. Peter Musacchio was killed yesterday when his car was hit by a train. Wednesday his former students remember him as a strong and influential teacher.

Victim in Car-Train Accident Remembered

Watch the story

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What a horrible, horrible waste of a valuable life... :(

twendkata71

Black Belt
Reaction score
That is truely sad. I had a book with him in it. And I knew of him from the karate community. The karate community has lost a great sensei.:asian:

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I am so sorry to hear of this. My heartfelt condolences to his family and students.

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I am so sorry to hear of such a loss. I know that he can never be replaced.

Haze

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It is a sad day here in the Central New York area. I remember watching this man years ago when I was young. He will be missed by so many.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So very very sorry to hear of your loss.

Its a tragic loss for NYS and all of the community. Godspeed. :asian:

Aikicomp

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I am very sorry for your loss and I offer my deepest condolences to his family, friends and students. (I lost my teacher in 2002.) I will have his name put in the General intercessions/Prayer of the Faithful this week at mass.

Michael

Mushinto

White Belt
Reaction score
My condolences to his family and his students.

I met him in at some tournaments N.Y.C. in the sixties and he was a fine karateka and a gentleman.

Cayuga Karate

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Are you referring to Peter Musacchio? He is often referred to as father of karate in Central NY. He opened his CNY dojo in 1963. He did have a major influence on the development of karate in this area.

OP
seasoned

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Are you referring to Peter Musacchio? He is often referred to as father of karate in Central NY. He opened his CNY dojo in 1963. He did have a major influence on the development of karate in this area.
Yes, I trained under Sensei Musacchio for many years, until his passing.