Excercises Using Folding Chair

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am creating a list of excercises and stretches using a folding chair and would like suggestions to add to the list.

Here is the beginning of what I have (in no particular order):

1. push ups with feet on chair
  2. push ups with hands on chair
  3. curls using chair as weight
  4. side and roundhouse kicks while holding chair
  5. squats holding back of chair to keep spine straight
  6. quad stretch: hold on to back with one hand and pull foot up to butt with other hand (the chair is used for balance)
  7. chair squats: fold arms in front and sit down and sit up from chair. Do not lock knees

Ninjamom

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Dips with palms on chair and legs stretched out straight in front, and with feet either on the floor, or up on a second chair.

Overhead squats holding a stack of three or four folding chairs.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kicks of all varieties using the chair as a target - over the seat from the front and each side, over the back, and through the hole. These are great for teaching foot position, and also for forcing people to kick above their knees; the first time you hit a metal chair with your toes, you really notice!

OP
ArmorOfGod

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thank you everyone!
I love the idea of kicking over and through the chair--I never would have thought of that.
Also, the two that Ninjamom suggested have been added to my list and they will be used tonight in class!

AoG

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Thank you everyone!
I love the idea of kicking over and through the chair--I never would have thought of that.
Also, the two that Ninjamom suggested have been added to my list and they will be used tonight in class!

AoG

WHAT!!! :mad:

You didn't like my Geraldo suggestion.... chair get thrown and you duck as it comes flying at you (which is what Geraldo didn't do)..... how can that not be a good MA exercise!?!?!?!? :uhyeah:

On a serious note there is a stretch I got from my failed attempt at yoga years ago… it is just to darn peaceful for me.

Sit on the edge of the chair, legs spread, feet flat on the floor. Fold arms across chest.

Lean upper body forward and leg arms hang down (relaxed) keeping arms crossed.
Stay there for a few seconds and slowly raise back up to a sitting position

Can

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I mentioned this on another thread, but Bulgarian split squats are a great exercise:
bulgariansplitsquat2big.jpg

You can do them with DBs or just bodyweight as well.

OP
ArmorOfGod

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
My list is now complete and I am going to do it again next week in class. We only did about half of what I had planned last time because the air conditioner was broken. It got really hot but I couldn't figure out why.

Also, I am going to print the list and tape it to my chair so I can remember the order that I like and not forget any.

AoG

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Up Dog and Down Dod with either your feet or hands on the chair

Latest Discussions