Evidence based training vs faith based training.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Nah, it's probably just that most road rage incidents involve ego defense instead of self defense.

I find it amazing, and really troubling, how much road rage goes on today. Do you see it, too?

To you guys and gals from places other than the U.S. - do you see or hear road rage incidents much? More than years ago?

Spinoza

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I find it amazing, and really troubling, how much road rage goes on today. Do you see it, too?

To you guys and gals from places other than the U.S. - do you see or hear road rage incidents much? More than years ago?
Agreed--extremely troubling. If I'm in a car, avoiding a fight (the most important part of self defense, IMO) is one of the easiest things in the world. The few instances that I've seen have involved 1) Bruised egos (the most common, by far), 2) People attacking motorcyclists at stoplights, 3) People being followed until they stop in a parking lot. I don't see very many incidents, but more now that I live in a larger city.

We recently had an incident here where a guy got out of his car with a baseball bat and approached another vehicle. The other guy got out and pulled a long wooden pole from his cab. They wailed on each other a little, but both walked away.

Austin Road Rage Fight Caught on Camera

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
And yet, though you know how to quote, it is missing from your post?

I'm normally sympathetic to those who can't manage life's challenges, but this is just pathetic. We all get the wrong end of the stick sometimes but at least have the grace to admit it.

You just pretend it's not there, try again.

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

I don't think it happens much more than it used to. I don't do them. I don't see the point.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What Martial Arts Have to Do With Atheism

A fairly decent article on it and the pitfalls of subscribing to social pressure when it comes to training martial arts.

I am an advocate of evidence based training. And that the majority of training should be based in scientific method. But accept there is faith based training needed to get you over the line.

I feel this is a defining difference between good training and bad training.

I see your point and the example I use in classes and seminars, is the following:

1 + 1 is 2. Correct?
Nods, and yeses and other affirmations.
I then ask the simple question they usually asked me. Why?
They mostly look at me blankly. I then tell them, there are three proofs, I know of, one is a dissertation, another is a few pages and the other is graphical and or can be explain in less than a page.
Still blank looks.
I then state, you can accept that 1 + 1 is 2 until you learn enough mathematics to prove it is true, or until you use it enough that it just becomes a habit.

** Yes of course, Mathematics is different than martial arts as there are bad techniques, and that would be like saying 1 + 1 is 3 and accepting that and moving forward **

So, yes testing is good, or working with those who have tested it themselves is also acceptable, in my mind.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Folks it is all faith based until you actually have to use it. After that point, no matter the outcome, it is fact based ( at least for you).

Well heck. That might the truest thing I've ever read.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Folks it is all faith based until you actually have to use it. After that point, no matter the outcome, it is fact based ( at least for you).
So true. And not a real issue when it's just you, on an individual level.

The trouble I see is when it's faith based for you, but you put out your shingle and begin teaching it to other people, some of whom put out their own shingle and begin teaching others. It's a quick way to create a lot of presumptions of skill based upon hope and faith.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

But isn't the argument about following/training in a faith that may not work? Like, there are certain faiths that can be tested out better than others.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Nah, it's probably just that most road rage incidents involve ego defense instead of self defense.
what if you're in your car and someone who is all raging out gets out and starts heading your way? Wouldn't that be a self defense situation for you? If you're stopped at a light behind other cars, would you stay in your car? Would you get out?

What if you couldn't see both of his hands?

I don't agree that it's ego defense. It may not be entirely rational, but it's not always voluntary. I've seen otherwise very rational people completely lose their cool on the road.

I also don't agree that it's always or even mostly a mutual, voluntary altercation. I've seen plenty of situations (and been involved with a few myself) where one side is genuinely confused and actively seeking to avoid confrontation.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I see your point and the example I use in classes and seminars, is the following:

1 + 1 is 2. Correct?
Nods, and yeses and other affirmations.
I then ask the simple question they usually asked me. Why?
They mostly look at me blankly. I then tell them, there are three proofs, I know of, one is a dissertation, another is a few pages and the other is graphical and or can be explain in less than a page.
Still blank looks.
I then state, you can accept that 1 + 1 is 2 until you learn enough mathematics to prove it is true, or until you use it enough that it just becomes a habit.

** Yes of course, Mathematics is different than martial arts as there are bad techniques, and that would be like saying 1 + 1 is 3 and accepting that and moving forward **

So, yes testing is good, or working with those who have tested it themselves is also acceptable, in my mind.
Hey Big Man :) I think your point neatly sums up the thread.. I would ask you what you think of the idea that some arts or styles by their very way of doing things lend their selves better to empirically verifying whether 1+1=2 ?? Also, do you think in an MA setting that the 1+1 calculation must then be CONTINUALLY verified as true rather than verified once then taken as fact thereon, I am right about that yes??

Likewise some styles or training setups are designed in such a way that a student -specially a new student- have no good route to doubt or disprove or even naysay that what their instructor told them that 1+1=3 because it just is and always has been that way from the inception of the art by awesome authorities who are badass in that style and every body say so.. would you agree??

My point below the talk really is how do you suggest the student, either new or long inculcated, break this indoctrination and find out the truth of their art or style for their selves -like the proof of the pudding- if they have never been given any reason even to QUESTION the false doctrine let alone test it out?? Thank you, Jx

Latest Discussions