Elite female judo vs untrained male

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
In another thread someone said, "a straight punch can defeat circular punch". I always believe it should be the other way around.

Do you think there is a situation that you can use straight punch to hit your opponent, but your opponent cannot use hook punch to hit you (without holding on your opponent's arm)?

Yes when your straight punch travelling a shorter distance smacks the other guy in the face before his hook punch lands.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
In another thread someone said, "a straight punch can defeat circular punch". I always believe it should be the other way around.
Champion boxer Jim Driscoll disagrees:

For that matter, going on through the transitional period to modern boxing, straight blows were typically considered superior and round blows were considered, at best, a secondary technique and, at worst, garbage boxing only used by newbs or goobs.

Mendoza seemed OK with round blows and they figure prominently in his lessons, but Mendoza was known to be a small guy, in an era when there were no weight classes, so he liked to close range and in-fight & grapple.

Do you think there is a situation that you can use straight punch to hit your opponent, but your opponent cannot use hook punch to hit you (without holding on your opponent's arm)?

A few. Here's an example or two.
Screenshot from 2021-09-02 09-46-26.png

[Bob Fitzsimmons]
Screenshot from 2021-09-02 09-39-16.png

[Billy Edwards]

Screenshot from 2021-09-02 09-40-30.png

[Charles Atlas Boxing]

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Last edited:

john_newman

Orange Belt
Reaction score
My plan is typically from neutral distance I close the distance using my kicks and punches to get into clinch distance, from clinch I want to bring them to the floor generally using throwing techniques.
That Tactic is also great but i think it would have a bad impression of you in front of the crowd. They may think that you have some sort of fear or trying to be away from the fight.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That Tactic is also great but i think it would have a bad impression of you in front of the crowd. They may think that you have some sort of fear or trying to be away from the fight.
What does crowd opinion have to do with anything, unless you're going for elite fight money?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Exactly how are BJJ and Wrestling "Complete?" They both lack many useful techniques. Tell me how well a wrestler can throw a spinning back kick. How well can a jujitsero throw a straight?
Hey, Ironbear, nice to see you again, bro. :)

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hello, I'm an average guy (5'8/150) who have been training in boxing for 6 months and judo for a month. I just wondering, what if I against an elite female judoka in a real fight.

As a man, why are you concerned about your ability to beat up female martial artists?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You tell me.

Let's do a test. If you just concentrate on to use your

1. hook punches to knock down your opponent's straight punches, how many of your opponent's straight punches that can be knocked down by your hook punches?
2. straight punches to knock down your opponent's hook punches, how many of your opponent's hook punches that can be knocked down by your straight punches?

According to my test, I'm in favor 1.

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You tell me.

1. hook punches to knock down your opponent's straight punches, how many of your opponent's straight punches that can be knocked down by your hook punches?
2. straight punches to knock down your opponent's hook punches, how many of your opponent's hook punches that can be knocked down by your straight punches?

The post I quoted referred to not being able to use a straight punch defensively. There are more ways to defend than blocking, and more things to defend against than a hook punch.

I doubt the ability of a hook punch to outrun a straight punch to knock it down - the acceleration of a jab is tough to get ahead of.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You tell me.

Sorry, but none of this is right. Single- time straights work perfectly well and always have; from punching all the way through fencing.

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
- You can use a hook punch to knock down a straight punch.
- You can't use a straight punch to knock down a hook punch.

You can also use a hook punch for defense. You can't use a straight punch for defense.
The difference between a straight right punch and a right cross punch is that the right cross, is a straight right punch thrown so that it crosses over your opponents punch, both defending you from their punch while simultaneously delivering a counter straight right punch. Why should a boxer never lead with a left hook? The other guys straight punch will knock him out before the left hook gets there... Throwing a lead left hook is a dangerous punch to be throwing... for the guy throwing it.

krowe

White Belt
Reaction score
Is judo effective in a real fight? Who would win if an elite female judoka (105lb) against a bigger untrained guy (150lb) in a real fight?
Judo is a throwing art and getting thrown on concrete sucks. Hell, getting swept on concrete sucks. Judo is like any system where for it to translate best into a mode of self defense one would want to train it and pressure test it with that mentality to develop ones skills accordingly. Even if they do not crosstrain boxing I think training in the evasive and defensive footwork and slips of boxing would compliment the techniques of judo very well im terms of how it might need to be modified to account for self defemce scenarios. It would allow the Judo practitioner to be comfortable with strikes and enhance theor ability to position themselves to execute tgeir techniques against non judo practitioners. A skilled Judoka would destroy an untrained individual tho so it really depends on how skilled the practitioner is and if they even need to modify their art much. Cuz untrained people tend to overestimate how hard it is for somebody who has been training a long time to take a person out, assuming they train correctly and develop their skills against resisting opponents. Martial arts is a long term game though. Train long enough and you will realise that ones abikity to fight has more to do with experience fighting and learning how to fight better over time than picking a style. You need a "how do I love this person up" mentality infused into your training. Because the training does not inform you how to fight by itself, you need to think critically, as a scientist would, about how you can improve your ability to do what you intend to do to a person. The style is a framework and a collection of ideas but it is the practitioner who takes those ideas and makes them their own set of skills adapted for that individuals own purposes. Learning a system does not automatically make a person a great fighter or grant a person the ability to defend themselves well under pressure.

john_newman

Orange Belt
Reaction score
They can think that, I'm just forcing the fight to be in my favor.
Bro! First of all Good impression makes audience cheer for you.. Second My main concern was not that what people thinks but My main concern was that the tactic you're explaining is not useful as it makes all the way to the clean defeat or draw...

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Latest Discussions