Female referees

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm going to post this here because I want as many views as I can (and I can rely on everyone to put their opinions lol!)
Last June I was promised I could referee an MMA fight on our promotion in the December. I got advice from the UK's top referee Marc Goddard, watched endless fights live and on dvd, learned the rules inside out and backwards, spoke to many pro fighters who told me to go for it and genreally worked my butt off! On many shows the refs have no experience and don't know the rules even, there is no governing body so anyone can basically step up to ref with no knowledge but I thought that if I'm going to be the first female MMA ref I ought to be really ready. Anyway, I didn't get to ref, I was put as a judge instead. Now I've again been promised an bout to ref on the next show in April, however it's a female kickboxing (K1) bout. I've done that before on other people's shows and really want to ref MMA. I was told that it would depend on the fightcard if there were any fighters who would take me seriously! it seems the audience and the fighters would not take a female referee in a male fight seriously. To say I'm upset would be an understatement! I can't walk away, it's partly my business! (that rubs salt into the wounds too)
Do male martial artists who compete really not want female refs?

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I dunno. I do know that the organization our school belongs to, the USCKF (United States Chinese Kuoshu Federation) has a significant percentage of female referees and they do a great job.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
To be honest with you I would rather have female than a male, but as far as I can tell here in America it is about 60% male and 40% females.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I don't know... I'm a certified Class "A" Referee with the YCTA (the organization I am a member of) and I've never had any problems being center referee regardless of the gender of the fighters - although I have gotten more feedback from women than men, but I think that has more to do with the gender of the people than with my gender - women are often more likely to comment when they are pleased (which is the type of comment I've gotten), while men, in my experience, at least, are more likely to comment when they're displeased (haven't gotten any of those). It's all about ring presence, which is required to control the fighters - and while I can see some men thinking that women don't have the ability, they don't know some of the women I know!

gixxershane

Green Belt
Reaction score
the only problem i can see in an mma fight is if a smaller female is reffing a bout that is 180 + and the fight really gets out of hand (wich im sure doesnt happen all that often). but other than that i dont see a problem with it. Now if the female (experienced in mma) is close in weight to the fighters, i dont think there should be a problem personaly..

i hear that there are more female mma fighters now, so this might be a good chance to be the "John McArthy" of female reffs.. no?

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't even care. At my school the one who beats the crap out of me the most is a female. She's also old enough to be my mom (in fact she's 2 years younger her). My real complaint is that fights are still divided by sex. Cause like I said, I get the crap beat out of me by a woman all the time.
If they don't want a female judge it's because they're a sexest and don't deserve to think. Period. God I feel bad for you. (offers arms in hug for comfort)

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

I can see how it would be an issue. A good fighter always has a certain amount of ego, and being ordered about by someone that is percieved to be physically inferior could well rub them the wrong way.

That doesn't mean it's right, or smart on their part. Just the way it is.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mod Note

Attention All Users:

After discussing this issue, we have decided to reopen this thread. You will also notice that some posts have been removed. This was due to the rude and disrespectful posts that were being made by a user.

At this time, this thread is being unlocked. Let's return to the topic discussion.

Mike Slosek
MT Supermod

kosho

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I think you should be able if you have all the rules down and you know whats going on in the ring then you should be able to do it.
the sex of a person incharge should not matter.
I hope things work out for you.
kosho

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If a ref (female or male) carry themselves as one in charge of the ring, that is the only issue.

OP
Tez3

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanx for the replies so far, am a bit mortified it went off track!
I actually spend half my working life breaking up fights, I'm a police officer with the Ministry of Defence police working on Catterick Garrison, the largest garrison in Europe. Although the numbers are down due to several regiments being in Iraq, at any given time we have several thousand soldiers here with all the associated problems that come with having so many fit young men here! It's mostly men as women aren't allowed in the infantry yet. I've refereed as a black belt in continous karate comps and have refereed K1 rules kickboxing bouts in the ring. I'm not looking to start at UFC level but like most fighters plan on starting at amateur level. We have few female fighters so being able to ref mens fights is a given.
I know nearly all the fighters in the UK and have seen many fights just about without fail the fighters have been respectful to the ref even when the reffing has been appalling!
I understand that the heavyweights may be a problem but I have no problem in putting myself between fighters, it's a whole lot safer than going into the local nightclub with furniture flying lol! Though even in that circumstance most men respond better to a female voice. the fighters are sober and have half an ear out for the ref in case their opponent taps or they are to be stood up. The other plus is that I'm old enough to be most of the fighters mother!
I was watching a fight where the referee was appalling, one fighter tapped so the other let go, the ref asked him why they'd stopped. He said because the other guy tapped. the ref said well I didn't see it carry on fighting! The guy who tapped told him he had but he kept saying carry on fighting until the MC got in and said that was enough! He also let an armbar go on too long in another bout and the fighter was badly injured, he didn't seem to realise that one of the refs jobs is protect a fighter against himself. Again the MC had to say stop.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Women can be absolutely fabulous referee's. Does not make a differance one iota. A good ref will take charge, know the rules and enforce them. In my experience women are just as good as men at doing this.
icon14.gif

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Look at some of the refs in boxing matches. Small, older guys controlling the action when two dinosaurs are trying to batter each other into unconsciousness. The know the rules, enforce them and that's all they really need to do. This isn't pro wrestling where the actors will toss the ref out of the ring and beat him with a folding chair.

charyuop

Black Belt
Reaction score
This is just my opinion, but I guess it is not a matter of fighters. Sure, they are used as the main cause because you can't go talk personally fighter per fighter. I think the main problem is the federation you belong to. The people who take decision in your federation might think that a woman in the middle of the ring with 2 men fighting might damage the interest of the audience. Remember, when you start facing professional matches (whatever sport it is), money is the main factor. Something new that can be seen as a loss of money takes longer to be tested.
I am NOT saying that you wouldn't be good referee, just trying to analyze the reason why they prevent you from being the referee.

In my country (Italy) the main sport is soccer. With the growing popularity of female soccer we started having female referees who wanted to do their job also in men Majore league. After traying in very non important matches of minor leagues, they are now starting to let female on the field in men's matches also for Major league...but so far only as line-women and not yet as referees, even tho many of them showed that they can do the job a hell lot better than certain male referees.

So yes, in my opinion it is all a matter of money...

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you know the rules and are will to inforce them then I see no reason why you should not be allowed to referee.
If you are not afraid to jump between the fighters or to pull one off the other if needed you should be allowed to do it
Best of luck on this and I hope you get the chance

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Does it matter?

Tell them if they won't accept female refs, they will get male ring girls ;)

Ok, back to topic. Sometimes, for some fights, having a big guy like John McCarthy in there I can see as an advantage. I think the fear for some would be that a female ref wouldn't be as willing to throw herself in the middle of and pull a guy off another guy. Or that she might be too soft and stop the fight too early. It's a man's sport, and while the gender of the ref shouldn't really matter, you're still gonna have to fight to get in. But if you manage, you get to be the first ;)

Anyways, good luck in the fight, but remember it is a men's sport. You could probably get in as a ref on a womens fight a lot easier, but for a mens fight you need to expect a lot of resistance, and a lot of pressure on you if you do make it. People are going to be sitting there waiting and watching for you to screw up a call. A male ref might screw up 5 times in that night, you do it once and guess who will get the most attention for it?

Anything worth having is going to take a fight to get, hopefully you win it soon :)

Latest Discussions