Effectiveness vs Showiness

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's the one. I've also seen it done higher - less of a roll, and almost a flip.

I've seen it a million times in Kyokushin tournaments, and quite a few Andy Hug fights. Very rarely land though. For every KO video of it, there's 10,000 misses that don't come up in a search.

And yes, that one was a bit more roll than flip like the high level guys do.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not all bad. If not for movies, we wouldn't have as many people interested.
Bingo. The Octagon. Good Guys Wear Black. Lone Wolf McQuade, etc. Enter the Dragon, Return of the Dragon. Shoot, even The Last Dragon. Best of the Best 1 and 2 (not 3, ack).

Each worth seeing about 20 times. I say that as I saw them all at least 20 times.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
For some reason my video has been taken down.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Bingo. The Octagon. Good Guys Wear Black. Lone Wolf McQuade, etc. Enter the Dragon, Return of the Dragon. Shoot, even The Last Dragon. Best of the Best 1 and 2 (not 3, ack).

Each worth seeing about 20 times. I say that as I saw them all at least 20 times.

Sho Nuff!!!

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Just a few flashy moves that were effectively applied. I think Steve hit the nail on the head of flashy necessarily being useless is bunk.

antojr999

White Belt
Reaction score
Good luck with fancy kicks when your wearing jeans

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

wingerjim

Green Belt
Reaction score
So I know that lots of people who train in the martial arts do so because they want it to be effective, they want to be able to use it in a real fight or to be able to defend themselves with what they learn. There is also the showiness side, when martial arts is used to look fancy and good in Hollywood. While the showy side might not be all that street effective, it does have an appeal nonetheless.
Great point. It is interesting in the movies actors like Jet Li, Jackie Chan and Donny Yen were all Wushu (The showy side of MA) champions. Does it apply to the street, sure it does but not as effectively in my opinion as someone who reached the same level as them while practicing real fight training.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Let the derailment continue!

BulldogThong.jpg

Latest Discussions