On Perspective, and Being Impressed

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
What do you find impressive, in the martial arts, and how has this changed as you have become more experienced?

When I was younger, I was certainly more impressed with flash. As an inexperienced capoeirista, I was impressed by the acrobatics. Later, I came to recognize that some people develop their acrobatic ability but neglect their other skills that are more important in the art. They end up show-boating with the gymnastics, and don't know how to develop a good capoeira game.

Fancy weapon work was impressive to me. Flashy nunchaku, or twirling showy double Chinese dao. Now, I look for something that is a useful, killing technique for the weapon. Flashing it around just doesn't impress me anymore, and my change in attitude has come with my growing experience with the weapon. A simple weapon form with strong stances and basic but effective technique is far more impressive to me, than a flashy, fancy, acrobatic form that lacks realistic technique.

Superfast hand speed used to impress me. I have seen it in Wing Chung, and Kenpo. The first time I saw that speed carried out farther than 3 or 4 strikes, I thought, Holy Smokes, that guy can hit. Problem is, it seems that power drops off significantly with that kind of speed. Speed can be very effective with power, for a couple of shots. But if you keep it up beyond 3-4 shots, it seems to me that you've probably lost much of the effectiveness of the technique. With the long sequences of lighting strikes that I've seen on some youtube clips, I get the impression the person throwing the strikes himself must not have faith in their effectiveness, otherwise why would he feel he needed so many?

Now, I tend to look at stances and footwork, and power generation that is really effective. I ask myself, is that guy really grounded and stable? Could that one shot, all by itself, end a fight? Where does the power come from, and is it for real? I guess I tend to look more for something that is effective very quickly, with little effort and without being dragged out for too long.

Anyway, these are just some examples from my point of view.

So I ask, when you see martial arts demonstrated, what do you look for? What impresses you? What makes you take a second look, and say to yourself, "that guy/girl is really GOOD, and isn't just empty flash like so many of the rest"?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
At one time it was flash, everything to do with high spinning kicks and really fast hands. Over the years I have come to relize it is about body awareness and technique for the most part. In the futeure I want total enlightment. For know it is being able to see that look when someone finally gets what we teach them.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Maybe it is odd and but I am most impressed by efficiency in the movement and the execution of technique.

When I see flamboyance I see a dilettante. When I see unnecessary extensions of movements I see a martial artist I would call a "demonstrator". Yet when I see a technique powered by the least possible effort then I know I am looking at someone that has studied what they are doing, refined it; tuned it; adapted it.. It is the difference between a highly tuned performance engine laboured over and built by hand with no expense spared on components, with no extraneous parts or movement, and some built-to-cost factory engine. Both will propel the vehicle. One will do so with great aplomb.

Efficiency is a sign of expertise. That is what I love. To watch. To feel. You can feel it so readily when someone has it.. to be moved around and not comprehend the mechanics that have put you in a place that is how you apprehend martial efficiency.. oh yes it is a turn on haha..

You know this makes sense to me right? lols.. Hope you are good, Jenna xo

Xinglu

Black Belt
Reaction score
I too throw my hat in with efficiency. Wasted movement does not impress me, but simple, efficient movements tend to derive incredible fajing (explosive power) and speed, and those do.

I remember when I was learning Pichuan (splitting fist) I was so impressed because my shifu could defend everything I threw at him with one technique! The economy of movement was so sound that I was blown away. It is the subtleties that fascinate me what is not seen easily but is felt.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No disrespect meant, but I am still impressed by flash.

I respect the person who can fall into splits.

I respect the person who can put their foot behind their head while standing.

(* As I cannot do them. :D *)

I understand that all of these could be used with other body movements to defend oneself.

But I also have to agree with Jenna And Xing that efficiency is what I strive for along with awareness.

OP
Flying Crane

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
No disrespect meant, but I am still impressed by flash.

I will agree that the athleticism necessary for certain kinds of things is impressive, and I do respect that. But I think a lot of flash isn't even very athletic, and it is used to disguise the fact that there is really very little of substance going on underneath it. And a bigger problem is that I think for a lot of people doing the flash, they themselves don't even realize the difference.

KELLYG

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
When I first started, everything was impressive. I started late in life so the very idea that sometime in the future that I would be able to do anything that resembled what I saw on the first day was overwhelming and exciting. What I now find impressive is that if you have a group of people doing the same form (various belt levels) it is done a little different by each. Some you can see the beauty of the form (the art side) others you can see the fight. Also if there are several different ranking black belts doing the same form how much different it is from one belt level to another. I also like watching the Masters preform, they don't do it often but you see the economy of movements that was discussed previously. Every thing is done with a lot of strength but relaxed at the same time. I then try to pick up on the things that I admire about each and incorporate it. I guess I still have a lot of work to do. That is also something that I enjoy striving to make things better knowing that you will never have it mastered.

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
When I consider the word, 'impression', there is the characteristic of permanence...of experiencing something that 'stamps' or molds me in a lasting way. Physical grace, flexibility and strength gains my admiration, and at times my awe. But while I applaud the achievements of others, they rarely 'impress' me.

What impresses me is the ability to transfer knowledge, and a largeness of spirit...a charitable willingness to impart that knowledge. Usually done in the most fleeting of moments in training, when the teacher puts a hand on the student, and the horizon is expanded as a 'new' concept is transferred. When I feel new neural pathways being opened, new engrams being scoured on my brain...that is being 'impressed'.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
The thing that impressed me and still does is the beauty of the martial arts. In the begining the beauty was only in what I could see. Now the beauty is in what I can see and understand.

A kick to any target on your opponent may look beautiful but it becomes even more beautiful when you understand the setup and delivery of the technique. This is true for hands, throws, and any technique.

Watching great fighters setup techniques, no matter the style or art is awesome.

ap Oweyn

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Speed of transition. When I watch MMA (as an example only) performed by someone like George St. Pierre, I just marvel at how seamlessly he transitions from seemingly disparate skill sets. A good jab, cross that suddenly and smoothly flows into a double leg will leave me clapping with glee. (Manly glee obviously.)

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've never been impressed by flash, in fact some styles considered flashy just seem silly to me (but I won't call any names cuz people here practice those arts). As a kid what impressed me was breaking. I loved to watch breaking, I thought it was the coolest thing ever. Then it's your turn to break, and you do it, then you figure out it's nothing mystical, it's purely mechanical.

Jaspthecat

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'll tell you what impresses me.

The speed and accuracy of strikes performed by Muay Thai fighters, especially some of these guys training out of Thailand.

Such devastating knock out power is demonstrated by guys probably 6 inch shorter and 60 pounds lighter than me, awsome.

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I guess I'm more impressed by the process than the outcome.

Some people will never be able to do a jumping spinning kick--but they may work very, very hard to be the best that THEY can be. They may come back from an injury. They may be much older or much smaller than everyone else, but they work really hard at it. Or they may train through their pregnancy. Or maybe you're like Chuck Liddell, and with an awesome MMA career, you go on "Dancing With The Stars," and you train really hard and do the best you can at a skill you may never be great at.

You tend to see a lot of that attitude in the martial arts, and it impresses me.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There are so many facets of talent to be found in the martial arts, I'm impressed with anyone's dedication to their one particular talent or strength. I am still wowed by those who can jump six feet high in the air, who can do acrobatic moves and stuff, even if I know I'd *never* use that in a fight even if I *could* do it.

I like seeing and do envy real weapons proficiency and control. Effective, smooth, fast cutting fascinates me.

I see many different types of people come to martial arts for different reasons and most of them are *not* fighter-types. So I'm impressed with the addressing of their needs and bolstering their understanding of the world around them.

Effective awareness taught well without fostering paranoia impresses me.

Simple, effective technique instruction and focus on effective basic movement education impresses me.

Adequate safety measures impresses me.

A focus on falling skills and fostering wholistic strength and flexibility impresses me.

Teaching how to maintain a calm, respectful manner while being quite prepared to fight REALLY impresses me.

Live True

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I started like Kelly being impressed by so many things, mainly because I was so new to the martial arts. After only a few years of training, though, what truly impresses me now is focus, grace, and precision.

Watching students or teachers I know move with a grace that is part economy of movement, part athleticism, and part innate/understated threat is impressive. Watching them perform kata or kumite with that lethal grace, an intensity of focus, and a precision of targeting is breathtaking. Putting all that together and seeing them smile and be both strong and gentle of body and spirit afterwards? THAT'S inspiring.

Msby

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I admit I still like watching flash :uhyeah: but what I really enjoy seeing is CLEAN efficient technique. If I can find a video of this, I'll post it.
The other thing that will impress me is effort. I could care less if the 1st dan over on the side can do a half hearted jump spin kick, but the white belt who just started and is trying his hardest to do a good waist level roundhouse kick will have my praise.
I guess the combination of the 3 is someone who can do something flashy, but do it WELL because they spent a lot of time and effort practicing it.

PS: The most impressive thing I've seen is a kid who learned to do a clean/powerful chest level roundhouse kick on his first day :bangahead:

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Things I can't do, those impress me. Some of the Kenpo techniques I have learned used to impress the hell out me, now, not so much.

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
“What do you find impressive, in the martial arts, and how has this changed as you have become more experienced?”

I had my perspective changed by my teacher pointing out long ago the heroes around us as we trained. We all know the many people that say they would like to learn martial arts. We know some people that actually go so far as to research the different arts and schools around their home. We know even fewer actually get up the courage to drive to the school and walk in thru the door for their first lesson. Some stick for years others just that single lesson. That courage to walk in the door the first time, that is what I find impressive. The humanity and humility on display at every lesson as normal people face their fears and learn to overcome them. The strength and courage of the ordinary student learning body movement and contact, the housewife that is coming terms to past abuse, or the soldier/cop learning to deal with the special stresses that action professions can produce. Watching these heroes face their challenges and become better people while overcoming them often times leaves me in wonder and speechless. What really fascinates me now, is that I can see people overcoming these type of challenges outside of the martial arts now that my eyes and heart can sometimes see past my own battles and ego.

Regards
Brian King

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Im impressed watching good hapkido self defence where they know the exact fraction of a second where there opponent is not on balance and they throw them around. The grand master at my club (tkd) is really good at this , he is 75 years old and I love the ease with which he can throw around black belts in their 20's. He is just so in tune with his opponents blance and centre of gravity.

Latest Discussions