Effectiveness vs Showiness

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Take for instance this video in the UK, from 1:14 onward. She sure is good and what she does works really well for what she's doing, incorporating it into a break dancing routine, most impressive for that purpose, but I would not do what she does in the video if I was in a real fight.

She's also a world kick boxing champion so she can adapt her style to what is needed so don't assume that because she can do the handy bendy stuff as well as her stunt fighting she can't actually fight, she can, very well in fact.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good luck with fancy kicks when your wearing jeans

Despite this persistent urban myth, I personally have no difficulty kicking my 6' 6" student in the head while wearing jeans.
Buy clothes that fit. Pull your pants up so the crotch is where it belongs, instead of around your knees.

How about jeggings? would those endow me with luck?

You, maybe. Me... not so much.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Despite this persistent urban myth, I personally have no difficulty kicking my 6' 6" student in the head while wearing jeans.
Buy clothes that fit. Pull your pants up so the crotch is where it belongs, instead of around your knees.
Agreed. I can kick as high in all of my jeans as I can in my gi. Mind you, in my case, that's not all that impressive in either case.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
images
I was thinking of that very ad when I read that, DB. I wanted a pair of those back in the day.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
She's also a world kick boxing champion so she can adapt her style to what is needed so don't assume that because she can do the handy bendy stuff as well as her stunt fighting she can't actually fight, she can, very well in fact.
Im sure she can. I never said a person couldn't do both, although there are people who take up martial arts primary for the showmanship aspect and aren't that interested in being able to fight such as Corinna Everson when she landed her role in Double Impact.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im sure she can. I never said a person couldn't do both, although there are people who take up martial arts primary for the showmanship aspect and aren't that interested in being able to fight such as Corinna Everson when she landed her role in Double Impact.

'showmanship aspect'? No, it's not that aspect that appeals it's what they get paid for doing it that appeals! :D

Latest Discussions